Cleveland Center - ZOB

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
Do all the controllers really get along a ZOB? Is there a lot of animosity between controllers? Or is everyone pretty chill?

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
You're not going anywhere...ever. have fun on your wed-Thurs off
I'm glad I got hired when I did. I have moved up 33 spots in 7 years. It will be many years before I hit single digit seniority but I will not be stuck on wed-thurs rdo's...or anywhere close to it.

I feel for folks getting hired now...they will be junior for a good majority of their career.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Do all the controllers really get along a ZOB? Is there a lot of animosity between controllers? Or is everyone pretty chill?
I won't lie and say it's all rainbows and unicorns here. As you can imagine, over 300 controllers here means over 300 different personalities. You'll be cool with the +/- 40 people in your area, but every area in this building thinks their neighboring areas are a bunch of idiots, and can't stand coordinating with them. haha I'm sure that's FAA wide though, and certainly not a negative to cloud your decision of whether or not to ERR here.

It is what you make of it though. I'm not friends/friendly with everyone in the facility, but I do have friends in all 8 areas...lots of good people here.

I'm glad I got hired when I did. I have moved up 33 spots in 7 years. It will be many years before I hit single digit seniority but I will not be stuck on wed-thurs rdo's...or anywhere close to it.

I feel for folks getting hired now...they will be junior for a good majority of their career.
Same situation here, but some areas certainly have it better than others. I only had 1 person bidding beneath me last year, and only 2 people when we bid in the fall. There are people in other areas who have less seniority than me, with 4-5 people beneath them already just cause their area got flooded with trainees. Ours seems to be prone to getting transfers, so they always bid well before me...FML.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
I won't lie and say it's all rainbows and unicorns here. As you can imagine, over 300 controllers here means over 300 different personalities. You'll be cool with the +/- 40 people in your area, but every area in this building thinks their neighboring areas are a bunch of idiots, and can't stand coordinating with them. haha I'm sure that's FAA wide though, and certainly not a negative to cloud your decision of whether or not to ERR here.

It is what you make of it though. I'm not friends/friendly with everyone in the facility, but I do have friends in all 8 areas...lots of good people here.
How do they determine what area you go to when you transfer there? Do you have any say at all? Also, which area is Litchfield, Lansing, and Jackson sectors? Thanks!

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Those are my sectors. :) Along with Flint sector, to the east of Lansing sector, and our 2 high altitude sectors above both of them. It's Area 1. We're sandwiched between ZAU to the west, ZMP to the north, and ZYZ (Toronto) to the east.

I think controllers have a say in where their friends/family go when transferring/starting at ZOB, up to a point. I was good friends with a guy in my area since the early 2000's, before we were controllers. He's a few years ahead of me, but he pulled strings to get me in his area when I started. Parents will get their kids in their area, or tell them what area they want them to go to. There's even an area with 3 brothers in it, which I doubt was a coincidence. haha

That being said, I'm sure if other areas were in URGENT need of bodies, there may not be much that can be done to accommodate requests like that. They just stick bodies where they need them otherwise.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
Those are my sectors. :) Along with Flint sector, to the east of Lansing sector, and our 2 high altitude sectors above both of them. It's Area 1. We're sandwiched between ZAU to the west, ZMP to the north, and ZYZ (Toronto) to the east.

I think controllers have a say in where their friends/family go when transferring/starting at ZOB, up to a point. I was good friends with a guy in my area since the early 2000's, before we were controllers. He's a few years ahead of me, but he pulled strings to get me in his area when I started. Parents will get their kids in their area, or tell them what area they want them to go to. There's even an area with 3 brothers in it, which I doubt was a coincidence. haha

That being said, I'm sure if other areas were in URGENT need of bodies, there may not be much that can be done to accommodate requests like that. They just stick bodies where they need them otherwise.
Please forgive some of my fellow controllers at KAZO. That's all I have to say about that.

Are any areas on mandatory 6's?

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Haha, I haven't had any negative run-ins with anyone there, but we don't deal with you (guys) too too much. Only time I really need to call is, when I'm APREQ'ing a BTL lander descending to 110 instead of forcing them down through TOL or LAN.

And no, no mandatory 6 day weeks, but area 3 was using a TON of OT this Summer due to staffing (retirements). Might as well have been mandatory 6 day weeks, most shifts had at least 2-3 OT's on them, and most of the people worked 6 day weeks for the whole Summer. It's just now starting to recede. I don't think any other area came anywhere near that much OT usage.

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
haha, BTL is like 90% of our traffic. Western Michigan University has a big flight school. Well that and they have a large maintenance facility for biz jets.

Which area works DTW and CLE? And also, is OT pretty easy to come by there? I have heard rumors of some facilities where you can have OT basically whenever you want it.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
We work the most with DTW in the center. LFD works all the inbounds from the SW, JXN works all the westbound departures, LAN works all the NW and N inbounds, and FNT works all the northbound and NE departures. Area 8 works 2 arrival fixes from the S/SE (side by side) into DTW, and has the southbound departure sector. And, Area 2 works the inbounds from the east, and the departures to the east.

Getting OT whenever you want is definitely not the case here, but it was flowing this year for sure. I'm in the top 5 for my area, with a little over 72 hours for the year. Like, 2 people had 80-90 hrs. If there is a legitimate need for it, and the union can prove that, then they're not shy in making the calls. That's not to say that there aren't cases where they're being a little stingy though, not wanting to call in OT for whatever reason suits them at the time. It's all a game, just gotta know how to play it!

corn4ahead

Oct 3, 2012
Roger that. I know I wouldn't want to be on mandatory 6's but the occasional OT would be nice. OT is hard to come by here. I'm really looking forward to coming by and visiting at some point soon. Hoping ZOB shoots back up on the priority list.

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
I'd sign up for 6 day work weeks right now if I could, as long as they were OT! I like monies....and it would certainly help with the FICA cap going up over $10,000 next year.

m57

Mar 22, 2014
I'd sign up for 6 day work weeks right now if I could, as long as they were OT! I like monies....and it would certainly help with the FICA cap going up over $10,000 next year.
Be careful what you wish for!

badloss2

Rookie
Aug 10, 2016
Does anyone have any recent info on ZOB? Are there any training holds? Does ZOB already have datacom? How is the atmosphere? Would you recommend it?

Thanks for any insight