Climbing the Ladder?

tbbusacker

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2016
Hi everyone!

I'm in high school right now and am planning my career in ATC. I was just wondering how promotions works in ATC.

What positions can I advance to and what responsibilities come with each one?

How do you advance and does it help to have a management type degree (such as aviation management or airport management)?

How is salary affected as you go up?

Thanks!

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
There are no "promotions" unless you go to management, which good controllers generally don't do. You can transfer to higher level facilities which come with more pay and more traffic. A degree means nothing.

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008
I'd be more concerned about getting hired and certified before I'd be concerned with moving up the ladder...

tbbusacker

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2016
I'd be more concerned about getting hired and certified before I'd be concerned with moving up the ladder...
I just wanted to know if a management position should be something to aspire for and if so, should I do things now to prepare for that.

Thank you though!

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008
I just wanted to know if a management position should be something to aspire for and if so, should I do things now to prepare for that.

Thank you though!
You don't need any specialized degree to be a supervisor, OM, or ATM. Hell, I've seen all three of those positions filled by people with no more than a high school diploma. Having more education will give you more points when you bid, but upper management will still select whomever they want when there is a vacancy to fill.

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
I get kick out of that "good controllers don't become supervisors" garbage. If you get into the agency you'd be coming in at a time where you may never see a "normal schedule" your entire career. Some people like working towards something or career advancement. I'm a controller and have been for 10 years. A lot of bad and good controllers become management. To each their own and if it's what's best for them or their families then good on them. People that says that "good controller" garbage IMO don't like the idea of more work. They want to control and go home. Again, I'm a controller and that is nice but hating on those that are willing to a little more paperwork to better their situation is questionable. Also, becoming management in today's FAA doesn't mean their anti Union. This isn't the white book or the 80's.

jdatc624

Dec 30, 2010
Center/center/tracon
www.youtube.com
I get kick out of that "good controllers don't become supervisors" garbage. If you get into the agency you'd be coming in at a time where you may never see a "normal schedule" your entire career. Some people like working towards something or career advancement. I'm a controller and have been for 10 years. A lot of bad and good controllers become management. To each their own and if it's what's best for them or their families then good on them. People that says that "good controller" garbage IMO don't like the idea of more work. They want to control and go home. Again, I'm a controller and that is nice but hating on those that are willing to a little more paperwork to better their situation is questionable. Also, becoming management in today's FAA doesn't mean their anti Union. This isn't the white book or the 80's.
so Did you get picked up on your supe bid?

i kid, I kid. But obviously you haven't been FAA very long, and certainly you weren't here during the white book-

jdatc624

Dec 30, 2010
Center/center/tracon
www.youtube.com
5 years is recent in the FAA? And curious, what does "gotta love Em" in reference to prior military mean?
Yes it is quite recent in the scope of things, Because you missed out on the misery of how management treated controllers during the white book.

I don't believe anyone should be a supervisor without 15-20 years on the boards. Same would go for TMU.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
I couldn't stomach being a supe during a return to the white book. I don't have what it takes to treat adult co workers like children and gloat about my raises knowing full well everyone else is on a pay freeze or a B scale.

Some of you may aspire to that, but not me and don't tell me about fixing problems from the top. That never works in the FAA.

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
All I can say to that guys is wow. I mean that in a "wow that's garbage" sense. I'm not a sup I just simply come from military background and from what I've seen there's a lot of people that are good and bad sups. Both good and bad controllers. Most seem to do it for career advancement or better family life. I had heard stories and yours just add to it. For grown adults to treat others like that is garbage like I said. If y'all hate on military know that the military teaches lead by example and that means treating grown adults as such. I was a few vodka la croix' sin last night when I first posted.

sonicapollo

Jun 4, 2009
If you get a degree, get it something other than aviation. Get a degree that you want a job in another field.

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
More work? Haha. I'm pretty sure the ones actually controlling traffic are doing the most work. No diss to supes, of course there are good and bad ones. Just as there are good and bad controllers.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR

Tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself to make you feel better about bidding a sup's job, but the truth is, if you are really good at moving planes, AND you love doing it, there is no better job in the agency.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself to make you feel better about bidding a sup's job, but the truth is, if you are really good at moving planes, AND you love doing it, there is no better job in the agency.
Depending on the facility, a major perk is some supervisors never having leave denied and more of a set schedule.