Commercial pilot to ATC?? Online / Distant Learning CTI??

rotorhead

Newcomer
Dec 29, 2008
Moved: Commercial pilot to ATC?? Online / Distant Learning CTI??

Moved to: http://www.stuckmic.com/atc-employment-forum/2619-commercial-pilot-atc-online-distant-learning-cti.html#post14716

I recently looked into becoming an ATC and found that the process has changed quite a bit from when I first looked into it several years ago. If I remember correctly, a lot of things got you kicked out of the pool back then. It sounds like it's gotten a lot better, but the process is still very confusing. This site has really been a big help.

A few questions for the far more experienced.........

Has anyone gone the commercial pilot to ATC route? Any better odds, treatment, etc? I've been an EMS helicopter pilot (part time news/traffic pilot) for the past 5 yrs. I have about 3100 hrs, an instrument rating, CFI/CFII, A&P/IA, fixed wing rating. No military though.....all civvy. Almost all of my flying has been in or under a busy class B. More than half was inside a busy Class D under the B.

Are there any online / distant study CTI schools? I know there's simulators and such, but can you do all the lessons & bookwork online, then come do the hands-on stuff for a week, month, whatever? I have a very flexible schedule and tons of downtime to do the bookwork.

For the CTI schools that I have looked at, it seems that everything is worked into a degree program. Do any of these schools just do ATC reqs and nothing else or make a schedule to fast-track a CTI? If so, approximate length? I already have a BS in Aviation Management and a MBA, I'm not looking for any more wallpaper.

For the commercial pilots again, is "moonlighting" allowed? Can you still hold a part-time flying job on your days off? When I looked into an FAA Inspector job, you couldn't hold any aviation jobs inside of your FSDO (or region?)

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm trying to gather as much info possible before an announcement for OTS guys comes out. I have 5 control towers and a TRACON within an hour of my house, so I figure that's a good number since moving is not an option. I have 3.5 yrs till the big 31.

Rotorhead

-------------------
12/28/08 - Got a username on StuckMic.com. That's it so far....

Last edited:
A

Ammolite

I recently looked into becoming an ATC and found that the process has changed quite a bit from when I first looked into it several years ago. If I remember correctly, a lot of things got you kicked out of the pool back then. It sounds like it's gotten a lot better, but the process is still very confusing. This site has really been a big help.

A few questions for the far more experienced.........

Has anyone gone the commercial pilot to ATC route? Any better odds, treatment, etc? I've been an EMS helicopter pilot (part time news/traffic pilot) for the past 5 yrs. I have about 3100 hrs, an instrument rating, CFI/CFII, A&P/IA, fixed wing rating. No military though.....all civvy. Almost all of my flying has been in or under a busy class B. More than half was inside a busy Class D under the B.

Are there any online / distant study CTI schools? I know there's simulators and such, but can you do all the lessons & bookwork online, then come do the hands-on stuff for a week, month, whatever? I have a very flexible schedule and tons of downtime to do the bookwork.

For the CTI schools that I have looked at, it seems that everything is worked into a degree program. Do any of these schools just do ATC reqs and nothing else or make a schedule to fast-track a CTI? If so, approximate length? I already have a BS in Aviation Management and a MBA, I'm not looking for any more wallpaper.

For the commercial pilots again, is "moonlighting" allowed? Can you still hold a part-time flying job on your days off? When I looked into an FAA Inspector job, you couldn't hold any aviation jobs inside of your FSDO (or region?)

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm trying to gather as much info possible before an announcement for OTS guys comes out. I have 5 control towers and a TRACON within an hour of my house, so I figure that's a good number since moving is not an option. I have 3.5 yrs till the big 31.

Rotorhead

-------------------
12/28/08 - Got a username on StuckMic.com. That's it so far....
The instrument rating will definitely help you in getting hired -- lower aviational credentials, not as much.

Don't bother going the CTI-route, if you have four years of work/school history. Just apply OTS in January or February, when the next announcement opens. Save yourself the time, money, and snobs.

A

Ammolite

Ya, that wasnt a tacky generalization of CTIs at all. Maybe I should just say OTS is a bunch of wannabe retards you shouldnt trust with a plastic knife much less peoples lives???
95% of the time, you'd be right.

siidman

Feb 13, 2009
Yes, just apply. CTI does not have distant learning. The program has simulators and crap you have to go through. As far as I know you can have another job on the side. You can do whatever you want in your "off time".
I know a guy who was a pilot before he joined and they actually waivered his age because he was 37 when he applied because he was a pilot. I know you dont have the age problem, but there might be some other stuff they will work with you about since you are a pilot.
Good Luck

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas
If you want to be an ATC now there is no reason to go the CTI route. Just apply for one of the PUBNAT announcements. And as far as flying part time as an ATC that is fine. I know a guy who is a part time BE-20 SIC.