Composite Flight Plans

Kev872002

Newcomer
May 1, 2020
I do ATC for the DoD and all military branches have started using the ICAO International Flight Plan Form 1801 for filing flight plans. Military pilots have started using the "Y" (IFR to VFR) and "Z" (VFR to IFR) composite flight plans. This has created a steep and painful learning process for our local ops, who have been inputting incorrect flight plans into the AISR, which produces terribly inaccurate flight strips out of the FDIO. This has been causing problems with the STARS automation with both our local approach control and ARTCC.

I've already found guidance in the FAA 7110.10 stating that U.S. Domestic Automation systems cannot accept Z flight plans, and therefore the VFR and IFR legs should be filed separately. This should alleviate part of the problem. What I cannot find is what a correct "Y" (IFR to VFR) composite flight plan should look like when it prints from the FDIO. Should the route look like this? KTOP..SLN..VFR..KTOP With "VFR" in the route of flight after the IFR clearance limit? Or should it look like a normal route (KTOP..SLN..KTOP) with a remark stating "Cancel IFR at SLN"? I havent found anyone locally who knows the answer to this, so I am throwing it out to the ATC community. Any input would be great. Thanks.

G Webb

Newcomer
May 16, 2020
I don't have an answer except to say that the flight plan drops out of the system if IFR is cancelled at SLN. KTOP means nothing in this case.