Confused about vision and Lasik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igivemylife11

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2011
I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked but I searched and couldn't find anything. On the following website I found this information:

Terminal and Center Positions -- Applicants must demonstrate distant and near vision of 20/20 or better (Snellen or equivalent) in each eye separately. If glasses or contact lenses are required, refractive error that exceeds plus or minus 5.50 diopters of spherical equivalent or plus or minus 3.00 diopters of cylinder is disqualifying. The use of orthokeratology or radial keratotomy methods is not acceptable for purposes of meeting this requirement. The use of contact lenses for the correction of near vision only or the use of bifocal contact lenses for the correction of near vision is unacceptable.

Air Traffic Control Series

I have a few questions regarding this article:
1st my question is am I automatically disqualified because i wear contacts and my left eye prescription (spherical diopters) is -6.00 which happens to fall beyond the 5.50?

2nd: If the article is true, the only possible way for me to pass the medical is to have Lasik surgery prior?

and 3rd: lately I have been considering Lasik however rumor has it the Lasik surgeon must be FAA approved or you will be disqualified? How can I find a FAA approved surgeon?

THANKS!!!!

G_Orsak

Aviation Medical Examiner
Answers:
1: Yes it would be dysqualilfing.
2. Yes, Lasik should work just fine.
3. I think most Lasik surgeons are approved, but you could ask the surgeon. I am not aware of any list of "approved" surgeons.

Igivemylife11

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2011
So the above article is true? Uncorrected vision is a factor? Even if my eyes are corrected by contacts/glasses to 20/20 i wont get hired?
Is there anyway around this because my eyes are still unstable, making my decision of lasik difficult at this current time...

Thanks again Doc for taking the time to answer

Status
Not open for further replies.