Congenital Heart Issues...disqualifying for ATC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burdetth

Newcomer
Sep 12, 2012
I was born with tricuspid atresia (here is a wiki link, but for the most part it means I was born with no tricuspid valve in my heart Tricuspid atresia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). To correct it, I had a two-part operation when I was a baby called a Fontan procedure (Fontan procedure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) This procedure basicly re-directed my blood flow such that one ventical pumps my blood from my heart to my lungs, out to my body and back without returning to my heart in between. (A normal reperson's blood flows from heart to lungs, back to heart, then out to body, and back to the heart.) Other than my initial symthoms when I was first born, I have never had any issues like dizzy spells or fainting or the like. And besides being on a low dose of Carvadidol(Carvedilol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), I have never had to undergo any other procedures or treatments. In fact, earlier this week I just did my yearly check-up with my cardiologist and received a clean bill of health. I know that my condition will pose no serious detriment to my ability to be an ATC, and so does my cardiologist (we have disscused it at length), but I am wondering if an FAA medical examiner is going to have the same opinion. If anyone could shed some light, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I had heart issues as well when I was a child, yours seem a little more serious but getting a special issuance wasn't much of a problem. I had to go to the cardiologist on my dime and then just forward all the information to the flight surgeon so he could review all my medical records..like going all the way back to when it was initially discovered at birth.

burdetth

Newcomer
Sep 12, 2012
You may be able to get a special issuance, depends on how severe your heart disease is.
Any way to get a "head start" on this? I dont have a TOL or anything yet, but if possible I'd like to get the ball rolling on a special issuance now

Status
Not open for further replies.