Considering pulling the plug

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
There are a lot of people on this forum who have had little, if any, luck getting back in under the reinstatement bid. If you are really that unhappy to the point where you want to quit then quit. I wouldn't quit with the assumption that you're going to get re-hired, though. If you quit, quit thinking you'll be finding a new career.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
As mentioned, multiple people here who've had no success getting hired as a reinstatement. I'm surprised it's so hard to get to Florida, just this year there's been three people from my facility who've all transferred to zjx in some capacity.

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
People have to make decisions like this all the time when they're young. Everyone's circumstances are different, so if you think you gotta quit to be happy, then that's probably what you should do. It's always about priorities, right?

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
I've seen a few quit over the course of my time here at N90. Most were because they couldn't, or wouldn't adapt to life in NY, and could not get released out. If you're really that miserable, have exhausted all possible options to transfer, and are young enough to start a new career somewhere else my advice is go for it.

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
Don't expect to get back in in any type of a timely fashion. There are very qualified people on here who have been trying for years to get back under a reinstate. Would there be any other announcement you would qualify for (vra cto) that would increase your chances so that you can apply under multiple bids?

Ps Jax you make a great point. I grew up on the Island and have always figured half of n90s staffing problems are related to ny culture shock.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Don't expect to get back in in any type of a timely fashion. There are very qualified people on here who have been trying for years to get back under a reinstate. Would there be any other announcement you would qualify for (vra cto) that would increase your chances so that you can apply under multiple bids?

Ps Jax you make a great point. I grew up on the Island and have always figured half of n90s staffing problems are related to ny culture shock.
You're correct. The main reason this place is so hard to staff is...because its in NY!

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
When you say away from your family, are you talking wife and kids? Or mom, dad, grandma, cousins, etc?

When I was in the Air Force, I hated living in Kansas SOOO much because I missed all my friends and family from Indy and I was bored...alot. But as soon as I got hired in Indy, I realized I had overblown how much I loved Indy because it was "home".

Re-instatement likely won't happen. I wouldn't even count that in your plans if you quit. You can always try, but it would likely be a longshot.

I just spend a year and a half waiting for my transfer and that was being 12 hours away from my wife and kids. I was getting desperate and a little crazy with some of my ideas to be with my family again. Glad I didn't cuz eventually I finally got in. Just keep calling. Once a month, call every single facility ATM and FACREP and keep your name in their ear.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
In 2008, I left the Agency after five years in the middle of the White Book. I didn't like ZAB, and I didn't like making $30,000 less than people who were able to get D-side classes in less than 20 months after arriving at the facility. I thought, the FAA needs people, I'll just put in my papers when I'm ready, if the FAA ever fixes the problem it created by making a B scale.

In 2010, I realize that my fallback career is not as good as I thought, especially not in the middle of the worst recession it's seen since the Depression. I put in paperwork during September of 2010 under VRA, CTO and REINCPC. Missed on all three. For the next board, I visit four facilities that I knew to be needy, and stayed in touch with two facility managers for the March 2011 panel. ZDC asks for me by name, but gets somebody else with a very similar name. It was fixed because of the intervention of the facility manager, but the point is that the FAA is not dying to hire you over a CTI or VRA just because you were previously a CPC, as crazy as that sounds.

However unhappy you think you are going to be waiting at this facility, you will be even less happy not making money and wondering if the FAA will rehire you where you want to go.

Marcia

Reactor temps normal.
Oct 26, 2010
Denver
Personally, I would stick it out. Most of the decisions I have made based on location have all proved to be poor in the long run (be it school, job, family, or otherwise). Having said this, only you can make that decision. Just keep in mind that, yes, it may be difficult to get back in. The FAA already has enough TOLs in the pipeline to last at least a year, for example, so I cannot even imagine the wait for reinst. But who knows. Good luck!

ksheyman

Feb 3, 2009
Indianapolis
I know most people have said the opposite but I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts. I am not an alcoholic but I know a little about the 12-step program and addiction and things like that from school (originally wanted to be a counselor). A lot of people who suffer from addiction start thinking, i drink (or do drugs) because I am unhappy, if I just move somewhere else I'll be happy and it will solve everything and I won't have to drink anymore. Substance abuse counselors call this a "geographical cure". More often than not those people move to the new place and within weeks fall right back into their addictive behavior... It can be mind-boggling because in that person's mind they have changed everything so there is no reason they should be acting or feeling the same way they used to. However they fail to realize that the one biggest and most important variable is something they can't change just by moving... no matter where they go, THEY are there. You will always be in your own body and mind no matter where you are. I have made several decisions in my life because I was unhappy, and I found that no single action I took solved the problem. I've moved across the country and back, I have quit and taken jobs, entered and left relationships, and none of those actions had a significant impact on my day to day happiness. The only way to really be happy is to learn to love yourself. I know nothing about you so for all I know this doesn't apply at all. Personally I have been waiting to get hired as an ATC for almost 4 years now and for the first few years after graduating CTI I would always tell myself "i know I am unhappy now but as soon as I get my dream job it will all be different". I have now realized that becoming a controller won't make me any happier. It will definitely simplify and improve my life by mitigating certain stressors (money, hating my current job, having no sense of purpose, etc), but even though its a different job it will still be me doing it. If I want to be happy, the only thing I can really do is find a reason to live that doesn't have anything to do with the job I have. For a lot of people that reason is religion- I am still looking for mine. If you think moving back where you are from will help you find that reason, it is a good decision. I don't know your financial situation but just don't forget what you'd be giving up by walking away from your job as an ATC. High-paying jobs like yours are HARD to come by (believe me, I know) in the 'real' world. Make sure you weigh the pros and cons THOROUGHLY before you make this decision and make sure you aren't expecting a miracle in terms of your personal happiness after you make the move.

Take it for what its worth - a total stranger projecting his own inner feelings onto you and giving you advice as if you were me :) but hopefully it helps you make your choice. Good luck with whatever you wind up deciding!

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
Getting back under a reinstate has never necessarily been difficult because of the shear amount of people applying under cti bids since reinstate is it's own bid. That seems like it's going to change if the faa needs to take the current budget into next fiscal year though. They probably have more people with tentative hires to last all through the next fiscal year. It's always been a challenge since you need to network your behind off just to have a chance but now it appears that networking is even becoming more difficult. Names and personal info are being left off selection panal applications and even though there are other ways to identify you I have found it difficult to find multiple atm's that are willing to say they will look for you come panal time.

Raydon

Happy Camper
Aug 18, 2008
OKC
Just focus on your personal goals and how you really want your life to be.

A lot of people on this site will give me shit because I walked out of my final at okc.. But I did it for me, and I've got everything I want now. Just popped back on here recently to check in with a coupe old friends. If you have a decent brain and a set of balls to match you can make money anywhere. That's the easy part . Better go, get it now instead of starting over after you've committed too much. It's weird walking away from something, but you can enjoy the experience if its the right thing to do for you.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Dude, I'm in almost the same situation as you. When I got out of the military I took the first contract job I could get my hands on and moved 1000 miles away from home to a city I had never even heard of fully expecting to get hired by the FAA within a panel or two. Here I am two and a half years later, been passed up 3 or 4 times and the out look of getting hired any time soon keeps getting dimmer and dimmer. Over the last few months I have thought long and hard about what I want to do and ultimately decided this job isn't the best fit for me at this point in my life. I turned in my resignation and will be starting school next month much closer to home. Most people my age tell me that I am crazy, seriously, who gives up a full time $62k/year job in this economy? The older people I talk to agree that in this day and age a college degree will pay off in the long run. I will still keep applying to announcements when they open up again and I know that if I ever need or wanted to come back to the contract side that I would be welcome to do so. You have to do what you have to do. Take other peoples advice but also consider the source but when it comes down to it, do what makes you happy.

nja0423

May 4, 2009
you wanna transfer to the deep south? im in puerto rico........you'll love it here. lets swap. people are really "nice". everyone speaks "english" everyone calls you "gringo" as a thank you becuz we support 60% of the island. it means "thank you oh nice white man from the usa" in spanish. let me know......

Reactions: h4xit

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
New York being hard to adjust to is an understatement. I HATE it here. GA/AL is something I am considering and have put in paperwork to a few places. I am going to visit a facility this weekend. I've never been to this town but at least its in the south. Thank-you to everyone who has put in their experiences/thoughts. I appreciate it. Best wishes to all of you.

I kinda figured out you were up here in NY when I read the original post. Rarely do anyone in other parts of the country go to such extreme as quitting such a good paying job in this economy because they're so unhappy where they are, but NY does have that effect on many people, specially folks from the south. Are you CPC or in training? If you're a trainee it may be easier for you to get transferred as a training failure to a smaller tower in the region, where you can do a year or so, then transfer to where you want to go, but if you're a CPC with low seniority....then yes, you're probably stuck for a while.

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
Which explains why he cant get out as well. But at least you got the beach! You never realize the great beaches you have on the island until you leave. Watching the jfk arrivals decending along the coast while soaking up the sun. Ok enough of that.

Seriously though. Good luck with your decision. Not sure if you have any immediate family to support because that always makes it harder but it seems like changing routes is the best option at this point.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
If you're from the south and working in NY, then you really need to get out and try all the things that weren't available in the south if you want to enjoy it. Go out and learn to ski/snowboard, soak in some culture, get an education, eat REAL pizza/Italian food, hike up a mountain, enjoy a walk in the woods without fear of being carried off by mosquitos or an alligator, take a drive on a road that has curves and all these other great activities that you won't find in the southeastern US. (as you can tell, i'm currently stationed on the panhandle and hate it here and can't wait to go back to the northeast lol)