Considering pulling the plug

smitty16s

Trusted Member
Jan 23, 2009
If you're from the south and working in NY, then you really need to get out and try all the things that weren't available in the south if you want to enjoy it. Go out and learn to ski/snowboard, soak in some culture, get an education, eat REAL pizza/Italian food, hike up a mountain, enjoy a walk in the woods without fear of being carried off by mosquitos or an alligator, take a drive on a road that has curves and all these other great activities that you won't find in the southeastern US. (as you can tell, i'm currently stationed on the panhandle and hate it here and can't wait to go back to the northeast lol)
You get real Italian food in Italy--not in New York, its still an imported recipe. You do realize the Appalachian Mountains run into the Southeast right? Have you ever heard of Deal's Gap in North Carolina? Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.. There are plenty of great colleges in the southeast. The ski/snowboard mountains in the southeast are just as great if not better than the northeast. You would only win that argument if you're arguing The Rockies over the Appalachians

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Holy crap take a joke dude. However, I definitely take exception to the ski/snowboarding being as good in the southeast as the northeast. You won't find any powder in the southeast anywhere.

Marcia

Reactor temps normal.
Oct 26, 2010
Denver
Well, contrary to what the media and/or your internal dialogue tells you, the real essence of New York is The Adirondacks, preferably deep in them; Long Lake, Saranacs, etc. Unfortunately, many people have never experienced them, and I think even fewer know that New York has an upstate. And I mean a real upstate, not Westchester.

Reactions: NovemberEcho

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Stick it out or go with another career. I've been trying to get reinstated for 3 years now, I've got good experience and its been a nightmare to get back in. Pulling the plug to get back in is a bad idea.

bernelong

Jul 16, 2011
New Windsor, MD
Bump. I've been trolling stuckmic for a while now. I just made an account today. I saw someone who mentioned considering pulling the plug in another thread. I'm in a similar situation. I'm in the FAA at a facility where I'm hating the location, long release date, and a couple other things, but mostly location. I'm considering pulling the plug and reapplying on the next bid for a better location or just being done with ATC. I need some helpful advice.
If you quit now you may never get another chance. Can you tell us where you are?

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Bump. I've been trolling stuckmic for a while now. I just made an account today. I saw someone who mentioned considering pulling the plug in another thread. I'm in a similar situation. I'm in the FAA at a facility where I'm hating the location, long release date, and a couple other things, but mostly location. I'm considering pulling the plug and reapplying on the next bid for a better location or just being done with ATC. I need some helpful advice.
How long have you been in?

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I would not like to get into specifics of what facility I'm at. All I know is that dates to be released and transfer out are long by my standards especially with the people in front of me at my facility want to get out too. I hate the location and don't know too many people in the area like the person in the other thread. I trolled the redirect forums recently. There are many current controllers in the FAA who want to transfer to facilities such as FLL, PDX, PBI. Guess who's filling those spots up? New hires with no experience are getting sent to FLL, PDX, PBI. Damn it's like I feel that if I reapply with my background and get selected that I will have a better chance and be much quicker to get into the likes of an FLL, PDX, PBI than trying to transfer out from my current facility with the current transfer process (ERR) & the other people in front of me who want to transfer out.
Get your ERR's out and get picked up. Don't be set on 1 or 2 specific locations if you hate it there that much. Don't base a career decision on the short term. Think long term. You can always ERR again at a later time. You'll be hard pressed to find a job with the benefits and security anywhere else.

Once you get picked up somewhere, you are ahead of anyone else that hasn't been picked up in your facility and you will get a release date before them. Seniority doesn't matter. I'm seeing it right now in my facility.

I spent a year and a half away from my family waiting on a transfer that I was fairly certain at times wasn't going to happen. It really sucked and I almost made some bad decisions, but I stuck it out and I'm very glad I did.

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
Here's a question I have. Has any current controller in the FAA tried to apply or reapply for an ATC bid? Has any current controller gotten selected? If they got selected, did they quit and go through the whole hiring process again, etc.? I was thinking to apply on the this February bid even though I work as a controller in the FAA now.
I have no idea where to find this thread since it was a few years ago but I remember one guy who worked somewhere in Hawaii who got picked up again while employed to go to Boston. If I remember correctly, OKC told him he would have to resign and then get rehired. To me, that is way too risky of a move to give up your job based on the promise that they will rehire you.

If you want to quit then quit but quit with the mindset that you'll never be a controller again. I think it would be highly foolish to quit with the expectation/hope that you'll get rehired and also get rehired to somewhere you would rather be. Maybe it's because I'm a younger guy but I still remember my jobs before this -- 60 hour weeks, 10 hour shifts with two 15 minute breaks -- we bitch and moan about a lot of things but we really do have it pretty damn good.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
^^^I'm with this. I've had plenty of shitty jobs...worked in demolition, delivering appliances (ever tried hauling a 500 lb Sub Zero fridge up to a 3rd story kitchen?), worked in plenty of food service jobs, mostly busting ass working the line in the kitchen for peanuts...I worked with some awesome people but the jobs f#cking sucked in terms of quality of life they provided. Provided I have the aptitude to do the job, something tells me ATC will be a cakewalk compared to that shit.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
If you want to quit then quit but quit with the mindset that you'll never be a controller again. I think it would be highly foolish to quit with the expectation/hope that you'll get rehired and also get rehired to somewhere you would rather be. we bitch and moan about a lot of things but we really do have it pretty damn good.
That. Exactly that. And more of that.

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
I have no idea where to find this thread since it was a few years ago but I remember one guy who worked somewhere in Hawaii who got picked up again while employed to go to Boston. If I remember correctly, OKC told him he would have to resign and then get rehired. To me, that is way too risky of a move to give up your job based on the promise that they will rehire you.

If you want to quit then quit but quit with the mindset that you'll never be a controller again. I think it would be highly foolish to quit with the expectation/hope that you'll get rehired and also get rehired to somewhere you would rather be. Maybe it's because I'm a younger guy but I still remember my jobs before this -- 60 hour weeks, 10 hour shifts with two 15 minute breaks -- we bitch and moan about a lot of things but we really do have it pretty damn good.
I would still be nervous about this. The FAA changes stuff almost on a minute to minute basis. Unless I had it written as a legal contract I would not be sleeping well at night.

ECHODELTA85

May 5, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
You need to learn to be happy. It's hard but until you do, quitting will not help. It will only make the situation worse because of the added money problems. I mean, most of us wannabes are miserable now, but we would rather be miserable as controllers. lol. #LifeIsHardAtTimes