Continental 3407 Crashes NY

apegler

Nov 18, 2008
Salt Lake City
I went to school in Buffalo for 4 years, it kind of hits home a little more when you know the street that the plane "landed" on. Really sad, especially because it sounds like it was all caused by ice.

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY
I guess approach wasn't taking any chances when they were asking for reports on the localizer. I heard "we have all green here but give us a report". A buddy of mine works for Colgan and i know that Colgan is a tight knit company - such a sad day for their company and the families of the passengers.

A

Adam

Unfortunately, I believe the statistics are somewhere near 100% that if you spend your career in the FAA, you will be involved in an at least one aviation accident (on the air traffic control side of things).

SRQ

Jul 25, 2008
Sarasota/Indianapolis
It's to bad that other pilots didn't speak up about the rhime ice earlier, if there was any. Sounds like it may have had something to do with the incident.

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008
I remember when I took my first tower tour over a year ago.. One of the guys their told me "well, if you work in this business long enough...you WILL hear/see someone die, unfortunately it is part of the job sometimes"..made me take pause for a good minute.

A

Ammolite

I remember when I took my first tower tour over a year ago.. One of the guys their told me "well, if you work in this business long enough...you WILL hear/see someone die, unfortunately it is part of the job sometimes"..made me take pause for a good minute.
If you live long enough, you will hear/see someone die.

Be glad you're not in the field of medicine or criminal justice.

chris325ci

Rookie
Nov 9, 2008
If you live long enough, you will hear/see someone die.

Be glad you're not in the field of medicine or criminal justice.
Agreed. A guy at work recently took a week of admin. leave since he was controlling a plane that went down (pilot died). Sad, but really a whole week? For some reason I don't think EMTs that make $25 an hour get a week off after a death.

A

Adam

We had a controller that took 30 days of trauma leave after an accident.

Marc539

Rookie
Jan 16, 2009
Miami, FL
i can understand a few days, it is a big thing to loss a plane, but 30 really???
Everyone's different, can't really compare a controller to a paramedic/doctor/cop/nurse. These people will eventually become disensitized after seeing so much death and trauma in their positions.

I think it's understandable if a controller takes 7 up to 30 days if needed. Eventhough chances are you will come across a crash and death, it's still not considered a "common" thing I don't think.

alvareze82

Rookie
Jan 10, 2009
Miami, FL
they may also require counseling before they get back on the scope depending on the situation, or so im told.

same thing they do with police officers. you think a cop gets in a shoot out and someone dies that they just brush that stuff off? things will get to you, when things like this happen, doesnt matter who you are, its going to effect you in one way or another. chances are if a similar situation pops up, you'll freeze, or end up second guessing yourself. that alone can get you into big trouble.

Humans are not robots. doesnt matter how well your trained, things like this will get to you.

if i were to see someone that didnt have these types of emotions i would strongly suggest that person go get checked out, somethings broken upstairs lol

any type of disaster can have these effects on people. when i was little i had to go for counseling after Hurricane Andrew hit south florida. this was months after it hit and had moved up to NJ that i had to start going because i was not able to get any sleep.

the effects sometimes dont show up immediately after an event, but they will eventually

Romeo Lima

Rookie
Feb 13, 2009
Denver
Thoughts and Prayers to those who lost their life in the Buffalo Aircraft Accident

My heart goes out to their families and friends.