Continuing School

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
So is anyone going back to school to get their masters (or bachelors if they didn't get one yet)? I can't pay off my student loans with my $10/hr job and so I just started taking masters classes to keep myself in an 'in-school' status and therefore keep my 6 month grace period and defer my loans. I figure what the hey, I'll try to stay sharp for the 2+ years it's going to take to get hired by the FAA.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Post where you're taking classes and what you're majoring in.

Embry-Riddle Worldwide Online, Masters in Aeronautical Science with Human Factors specialization.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
wheeeeew that's a lot of money and a long time to keep the "juice" flowing on those loans.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
The only guy I knew who did that was so far in debt vs increased pay he is now a 31 year old man with a masters living with 3 other guys, a goat, two pigs and a calf. And before anyone asks, that's not a joke.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
I almost went to ERAU for their Bachelor's in Aeronautical Science, but never could figure out what that could actually qualify me for. Found another, cheaper online school instead. Going to Troy University right now, but considering Peru State. ERAU isn't one (but definitely not the cheapest), but there are way too many online schools pushing out junk degrees. My personal requirement for an online program is the school has to have an athletics department, preferably a football team. I know, or have talked to, hiring managers that have said schools like Phoenix will get your resume sent to the bottom, or the trash.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Find another $10/hr job. work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week if you can. Sleep for 6 hours. That leaves you 2 whole hours of you time. And maybe a paper route you can run while driving between jobs.

It's a crappy situation. Is there any way to lower your monthly loan payment?

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
get your masters in something more useful...

i was in your shoes...came down to the point i just told the loans "look, i can pay you XXX or nothing your choice" and they chose nothing so thats what i did...my credit is in the shitter but i survived

btw i am by no means offering advice to do the same...life sucks with no credit and a six figure income...but you will come out the other side ok. it's just money...

and let this thread be a lesson to anyone considering going to Riddle...unless you are independently wealthy go somewhere else...it is NOT worth it

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
They usually offer some sort of graduated payment program where every 3-5 years the payment amount goes up until you pay off the loan, that can help. But yeah to spend that much money on student loans to get into this field is retarded.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I'd be hesitant to go into more debt just so I could avoid paying my current debts.

The problem with ATC is the salary is going to be pretty fixed. It's not like getting a masters degree in business or something where you can reasonably assume you'll end up making more money in the long run. If you're an air traffic controller, you're going to make the same salary as all air traffic controllers.

You also need to consider how much you'll actually make. Sure the level 12 salaries are nice, but what happens when you end up at a level 6 facility where CPC isn't even $80k and it takes two years to reach that. Sure the money is good, but $1,000 in student loans a month is still going to be like 1/4 or more of your take home salary.

Also keep in mind AG pay is going to be about $1,600 take home pay per month. Can you live on $600 a month? Depending on your facility you may be stuck there(ag pay) for awhile. I didn't even start training for 7 months when I got to my facility, so I didn't even have the opportunity to start working towards my raises for a long time. It's possible you could be stuck at that pay rate for awhile.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
get your masters in something more useful..
Human factors is in every sector of every industry. Human factors and ergonomics is about the most useful field someone could possibly think of.

Thank you all for ignoring the point of my thread to see if anyone is in the same boat as me and to see where others were taking online classes, and thank you for taking an open chance to twist the knives (plural) already in my side. Went to ERAU, already in debt, have to deal with it myself, I know what I'm doing. No soup for any of you.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
Human factors is in every sector of every industry. Human factors and ergonomics is about the most useful field someone could possibly think of.

Thank you all for ignoring the point of my thread to see if anyone is in the same boat as me and to see where others were taking online classes, and thank you for taking an open chance to twist the knives (plural) already in my side. Went to ERAU, already in debt, have to deal with it myself, I know what I'm doing. No soup for any of you.
Thanks for ignoring a lot of good advice. Thanks for making a thread with your mind already made up.
Whatever you do do NOT call your lender and see what the options for additional deferments, income sensitive repayments etc are. Just pile on another 50k in debt plus the interest already flowing, that's the best course of action FOR SURE.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
We're actually trying to help. Look at this scenario. You get the masters, six months later the loans come due, do you go ahead and go for a PhD to defer further? I'm assuming not. So now you're in debt out your ass with shot credit and a shockingly bad income to debt ratio and now the FAA comes calling to hire you. That's going to make the security clearance an unholy nightmare for you.

h2laatc

Oct 28, 2009
Just signed up for my 1st semester of bach level courses. Go to a cheap community college to take as many higher ed credits as you can, then transfer to a state school. Ill have 2 semester of Degree level courses done before i even get to my 4 year school. Worse comes to worse you drop your class if you get a class date!

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Just signed up for my 1st semester of bach level courses. Go to a cheap community college to take as many higher ed credits as you can, then transfer to a state school. Ill have 2 semester of Degree level courses done before i even get to my 4 year school. Worse comes to worse you drop your class if you get a class date!
The dude already has a degree, so a community college isn't going to help him at all.

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
Human factors is everything in the development of new technology and systems... like I don't know NextGen? Everything from the way you rearrange a controller's keyboard to moving a knob in the cockpit to where a controller's eyes wander while he's got the flick IS Human Factors. It's absolutely a useful degree to have, and let's not forget that there's always value in furthering your education, whether it be monetary or not.

Everyone seems to also be ignoring the fact that once you are a controller, there are going to be opportunities to move up within the FAA if you choose to do so. A masters will certainly benefit you if you were to choose to go after a management position at some point in your career. Or what if ATC just doesn't pan out?

I have a full time job that pays well enough, so paying off loans is not an issue for me. But, I am working on my masters in Systems Engineering (Transportation Focus) while I wait on the FAA. I'll be done in May, which is inevitably going to be before I get the call for OKC.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Pay off student loans. Get a 2nd job. Join the Guard for tuition reimbursement. Or find a full time job making $30,000 a year and live at home. I paid cash for school every semester, working crappy 10-12$ an hour part time jobs. That's a ridiculous amount of money to pay off, assuming you get hired.

No way in hell I would go back to school only to come out with no guaranteed job.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX

Sorry I just saw aero sci and stopped reading.