Contract employment, haven't controlled in a while

atcadvocate

Jun 15, 2008
Upenya'
Quick question, I'm a prior enlisted military controller with a CTO. I haven't controlled since 2002. I am currently a firefighter, and have been since 2003. I retire from the fire dept. In 2024. I will be 45 hrs old then.

Contract ATC requires a CTO. I got that. Will they still hire me after being out of atc for that long? Or should I look at being a wal-mart greeter? :)

Any answers, especially from any currently working contract atc are greatly appreciated.

whegner

Aug 24, 2009
I was out for 16 years so the answer today is yes. In 13 years a lot will depend on the hiring environment, what the NAS looks like (i.e. how much has it changed) and what ratings you had previously.

I consider myself lucky for two reasons. When I was hired the contractors were having trouble keeping controllers (5 of the 6 guys before me got hired into the FAA within weeks of getting rated here) and I had 5 previous CTO's at relatively busy airports to fall back on

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Get your name in the hat. CTO and 2nd class, you'll be good to go
Just having these two things is not a sure thing to getting hired. I have been trying to get with Serco for a while in my state with no luck. Probably location but I had two CTO's when I was trying to get with them now I have 3. We will see what happens.

maddog68

Rookie
Jan 19, 2010
AZ
if you want to get into Serco, the best bet is not to be to picky about where you go. You get your foot in the door, by going to a possibly remote, or expensive place where the turn over is high. But once in the door, a transfer is only 18 months away. So keep your options open, because if you are locked in to a prime location, you are probably going to be well behind a current employee waiting for a transfer.