Contract Tower employment w/o CTO

UGAfan

Apr 9, 2011
Has anyone ever heard of a contract tower hiring someone with just a ATCS. I have 8 years of Radar experience and no tower... what are the odds of getting a job and getting my CTO?

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Has anyone ever heard of a contract tower hiring someone with just a ATCS. I have 8 years of Radar experience and no tower... what are the odds of getting a job and getting my CTO?
My guess with be it's probably not going to happen. Any contract tower I've looked into all said at least 2 years of control tower experience. But maybe you could get lucky, visit some contract towers and talk to the managers and see what they say to you.

However, Midwest runs approach control in Afghanistan. You could look into that. Great money.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Slim to none. They usually want people who can check out in a tower in under 30 days and won't be at all likely to give you a chance to get that experience.

UGAfan

Apr 9, 2011
My guess with be it's probably not going to happen. Any contract tower I've looked into all said at least 2 years of control tower experience. But maybe you could get lucky, visit some contract towers and talk to the managers and see what they say to you.

However, Midwest runs approach control in Afghanistan. You could look into that. Great money.
Already looked into midwest... that's my last resort though. Sucks to have 8 years of WS experience in a RAPCON and be told no.

UGAfan

Apr 9, 2011
Slim to none. They usually want people who can check out in a tower in under 30 days and won't be at all likely to give you a chance to get that experience.
Yeah that's understandable... I tried my hardest to get into the tower while in the Air Force but with all the trainee's in the tower it never was gonna happen

EFC

Dec 24, 2008
On a Van by the Sea
I hate to bring the bad news, but federal regulations requires a CTO with a minimum of 6 months of experience after obtaining said CTO. "FAR 65.39, applicant “must have satisfactorily served as an air traffic control tower operator with a facility rating…for at least 6 months...”

rpt8out

Newcomer
Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
As a contract manager and air traffic facility manager HR has sent me controllers who have no CTO. If you can find a manager like me (very unlikely) they might give you a chance. My recommendation is to get back into an Air National Guard or Army National Guard situation that will allow you a chance to get a CTO.
You might be able to fool KBR they have a need for controllers in Afghanistan, if the need is bad enough they just might pick you up and give you a shot. KBR recruiters and Project Managers know doodly-squat about ATC. The other contractors like ITT and Dynamic Science might pick you up. Do a Google search.
One very slim chance is a tiny contract company like DCSI at DCS1.com where you get on as a flight follower and later move up to a CTO position. Check in with Raytheon Polar Services, Washington Control Group, I'm not sure I got that correct (Its late I'm tired and you other guys help me out) Washington something-something, they might pick you up and then you get a chance to move into a CTO job.
One last chance would be getting a tower job in a non-federal tower, usually run by a city or county, pay could be ridiculously low but you could get a CTO there, check Google and good luck.

ATC_MacGyver

MacGyver
Dec 19, 2008
with the bears.
fort greely, ak has done it for an army controller that worked in a tower for 5 years and never got a cto. call them. the company that runs the tower up there is kaya and associates out of alabama. although the people at the HQ will know nothing about the atc stuff. all that is required for army airfields is having gone to one of the military atc schools or the faa academy. unless the manager wants differently that is. i will warn you. the place sucks.

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
RVA did it for somone several years back. Back then they had part-time positions. I am not sure if it is still possible, but I think it would definitely be as the result of some serious networking. Try to find the folks you have served with and see what you can do.

EU_ATCo

Newcomer
Jun 2, 2012
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, so I would like to say hello to everyone.
I got a question about contract tower job, for non-US citizen ( w/o CTO - just ICAO licence ) with 10 years experience plus one year in Afghanistan. I worked for NATO/ISAF in cooperation with MIDWEST guys. My question would be if there is any chance to get a job in any contract TWR in US. ( SERCO, MIDWEST, RVA ... and so on).
Thanks for your help
Tomas

RomeoIndia

Rookie
Aug 5, 2011
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, so I would like to say hello to everyone.
I got a question about contract tower job, for non-US citizen ( w/o CTO - just ICAO licence ) with 10 years experience plus one year in Afghanistan. I worked for NATO/ISAF in cooperation with MIDWEST guys. My question would be if there is any chance to get a job in any contract TWR in US. ( SERCO, MIDWEST, RVA ... and so on).
Thanks for your help
Tomas
Unless the requirements have changed you must be a U.S. Citizen to work in a facility in the U.S.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
RI,

Where did you work with Midwest guys at? Someone here in Kandahar might know you.

As for working in the US, as stated above you have to be a U.S. citizen. Since you have an ICAO license you might check out Serco AE in Dubai or GAL in Dubai, both are hiring controllers with ICAO license.

Mike