Contract Towers as employer's

monica5627

Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
San Diego
Can anyone tell me if a CTO is a requirement for a contract tower job? I have ATC experience (8 years in the Navy) but no CTO (at radar facilities only...) I called Midwest today but just left a message. Anyone's help is appreciated...

EFC

Dec 24, 2008
On a Van by the Sea
Monica,

Yes, a CTO is a requirement to work at a contract tower. Also in accordance with FAR 65.39, applicant “must have satisfactorily served as an air traffic control tower operator with a facility rating…for at least 6 months...”

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Monica,
Midwest ATC does hire radar only controllers for jobs in Afghanistan to work the approach controls at Bagram or Kandahar. I believe Perry Campbell is the contact person that you need to talk to.

lance

Newcomer
Nov 16, 2009
I'm slotted to be an atc in march, I'm 27 and will be in for six years what are my options for employment when I get out

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Your options are contract, overseas, and DOD. You will be 33 when you get out, if you were to get out in 6 yrs and you would be outside the window to get hired by the FAA.

zimm1979

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2009
S. Korea
Here is a question: Being that I will be 31 at the end of my (6 yr) USAF enlistment (next year); what FCT company would be the best for "steady" employment? I am planning on settling down, getting married to my sweet gal, and possibly starting a family. The main reason I'm planning on getting out is that I don't want to deal with all the BS associated with Military life and moving all the time. From what I understand, I will be too old for the FAA (have heard about some "wavered to 36" thingie - ??).

Suggestions??

ATC_MacGyver

MacGyver
Dec 19, 2008
with the bears.
Here is a question: Being that I will be 31 at the end of my (6 yr) USAF enlistment (next year); what FCT company would be the best for "steady" employment? I am planning on settling down, getting married to my sweet gal, and possibly starting a family. The main reason I'm planning on getting out is that I don't want to deal with all the BS associated with Military life and moving all the time. From what I understand, I will be too old for the FAA (have heard about some "wavered to 36" thingie - ??).

Suggestions??
age is not wavierable.

BravoCharlie

Newcomer
Mar 20, 2009
Maybe things have changed, but I was 32 1/2 when I was hired in 1987. They supposedly had the 31 limit then too.
Retired in 2008.

Wolfman21

May 20, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Is anyone else having some problems getting hired by a contract tower company. I've talked mainly with Midwest but have applied to others. I am willing to go anywhere but so far haven't had any luck. I was told by the hiring manager for Midwest that they didn't have very many openings due to the new contract being signed which is reducing the flow of people into the FAA.

meadelz

Mar 10, 2009
It is of no surprise to me that contract jobs are few and far between right now. Many of their vacancies probably coincide with the draw the FAA creates when they are hiring. I'm assuming you have CTO, 6 months exp. and medical?? If so, then wait patiently.

Wolfman21

May 20, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Yeah I've got all of the above. I'm content to wait as I'm in the middle of a college semester, i just hope I can have something lined up for this summer.

SteveH85396

Newcomer
Dec 14, 2009
Maybe things have changed, but I was 32 1/2 when I was hired in 1987. They supposedly had the 31 limit then too.
Retired in 2008.
That's because for a limited time after the 81 strike The FAA waived the age requirement if you had certain qualifications.

Steve Heywood
Buckeye, AZ