Contract Towers

Josh kirk

Newcomer
Dec 15, 2018
Hello all,

I'm transitioning out of the usaf this summer and looking to continue with ATC. I know the routes (FAA, Contract, DoD).

My main question is, how does one support a family on a contract tower salary? It seems like most are hovering around the $30 an hour mark without any health benefits. It seems like a lot of towers are hiring, but I don’t know if it’s worth it to move my family for this. Any input?

Im located in eastern WA.

Thanks in advance!

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
I made around $80k a year and bought a house on Cape Cod when I was working contract. Its certainly manageable as long as you aren't coming out of the military with tons of debt and are responsible with your money.

Countrykane87

Rookie
Mar 28, 2018
Hello all,

I'm transitioning out of the usaf this summer and looking to continue with ATC. I know the routes (FAA, Contract, DoD).

My main question is, how does one support a family on a contract tower salary? It seems like most are hovering around the $30 an hour mark without any health benefits. It seems like a lot of towers are hiring, but I don’t know if it’s worth it to move my family for this. Any input?

Im located in eastern WA.

Thanks in advance!
serco actually has pretty good benefits. The wage you see on the job posting is what you get. The health benefit is in addition to that if you don’t keep your current insurance. I’m a former Serco employee