Contract TWR...DOL WD's

68dart

Rookie
Jun 15, 2008
Have the new wage determinations been released yet? Just want to get an idea how bad we are going to get hit by cost of living versus pay increase this year.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
we are talking about the annual inflation raise... But what you are talking about, PATCO has sent an official letter to the Department of Labor about the possible pay increase and the DOL is supposedly looking into it. So, right now everyone is playing the waiting game. Its not a rumor that the process has been started but if you heard that we ARE getting the pay raise then yes, that was a rumor. Its in the works officially.

Thanks PATCO!

Buck

Sep 23, 2008
Oh my bad, i was half awake during this thread. Yeah i just heard the raise was a possibility. So $.67 is what we are looking at for sure, maybe more, maybe less. Sounds like a wee bit short of the $2300 (a person) we could end up paying for this bailout package. Anybody know how much controllers get paid in Europe? England, Spain, Italy.

JakeTheSnake

Rookie
Sep 18, 2008
Chicago
We went up $1.23, which puts us just above $30.00/hr. No news frome the SERCO front on the illuded 10 bucks though. I really doubt that we'll see $10. I don't think the DOL is going to approve $83+K/year at a less than 300 ops/day tower that's only open 13 or 14 hours a day depending on the season.

68dart

Rookie
Jun 15, 2008
We went up $1.23, which puts us just above $30.00/hr. No news frome the SERCO front on the illuded 10 bucks though. I really doubt that we'll see $10. I don't think the DOL is going to approve $83+K/year at a less than 300 ops/day tower that's only open 13 or 14 hours a day depending on the season.
I can see your point, but I can also argue that a 200 OP/2 shift per day tower with only one controller per shift still probably works out as a savings compared to an FAA tower, even with a dramatic pay increase of $10/hour; if you consider the total ops per controller. Nothing says efficient like 8 hours TOP every shift, 5 days per week. Note the sarcasm, please. FCT's may be the bastard children of ATC, but we still do the same job, under the same shitty conditions with far less pay in most cases. It's a shame the FAA had to go and turn their side of the house into a cluster*&*% also.
ATC, it's no longer an adventure, it's just a JOB.

JakeTheSnake

Rookie
Sep 18, 2008
Chicago
A J-O-B is right...Here's the thing though, at an FCT you don't have to deal with the bureaucracy. We work 4 10 hour shifts a week with 3 days off. We have 5 slots, 4 of which are filled. We have a new guy starting in a few weeks, but another slot opens the following week. We have a huge turnover like most FCT's but the truth is that the pay and facility rules are much better than most FAA Towers when compared to actual work load. The FAA offers retirement and benefits that don't cost you an arm and a leg, as well as an actual future in a career. After 10% night diff and the extra 25% Sunday diff we actually make closer to $70K/year at an FCT, and we’re never here past 7pm (I'm off before sunset). Now imagine if there were a $10 increase in pay...closer to $90K/year. What FAA ATCT could compete with that? I seriously wouldn't mind paying outrageous cost for benefits, dealing with slow and undoubtfully mentally challenged pilots, and relying on an ailing 401k, while only working 7K ops/month, leaving by 7pm, seeing my ATM only 5 hours a week, working 4 days a week, wearing whatever I want to work, and leaving mid-day for "fam flights". Wouldn’t you?

Buck

Sep 23, 2008
jakethesnake, sounds like you have it quite cozy wherever you are. I will assure you it's not like that at all the other FCT's.

FCT's can be easy assuming you are fully staffed or at least close. But with our facilities usually being the revolving door for controllers in transition to the FAA, we lose people all the time. We lost 3 controllers in less than 1 month for various reasons. I had been rated about 2 months and all of a sudden it was just me and the boss working every shift for the next 2 months until we got a new hire.

Either way I wouldn't have complained about a pay raise, and would never argue a case against it.