Controllers in a closing tower

GIANTS10

Newcomer
Jan 16, 2013
California
What happens to those controllers at towers that close? Do they get to go to any tower they want to? How would it be for a developmental at a tower that closes? Thanks.

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
Article 47 is vague. Basically, the agency will keep a roster of vacancies and will place controllers in those positions. Of course there will be bargaining and negotiating who goes where. The way I gather it, no golden ticket unless the facility you want is in need which is jacked up considering you have no choice but to go wherever if you want to stay employed.

My issue is that I don't want to be treated like a washout and get a choice half way across the country when none of this is my fault.

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
Read the articles, still not 100% clear. Is...
"Section 3. In the event of a RIF, the affected employee and the Union
representative will be provided access to master retention registers
relative to his/her involvement, upon request."

Would, you get your choice of facility, be layman's terms for "Master retention registers"?
Maybe there will be a list and you may choose from it based off of seniority or something but its going to be of places in need.

Nick

Jun 14, 2008
Down Yonderville, TX
Anyone hear anything about when the FAA towers on the list would close? The rumor I'm hearing is we should expect a 1 year notice between now and end of sept.

Rugbydog11

Rookie
Sep 30, 2011
my tower is on the list, and I don't foresee it closing... It would be an absolute safety nightmare based off of our airspace proximity to Louisville International... but maybe I'm just an optimist and I don't want to move anywhere. I did receive an email, though, about the furlough stating that I would be tentatively furloughed 11 days between April and September.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Has any contract controllers received any official notification about a last day? CNN and other news sources have been reporting April 7th as the shutdown for most FCT's but no one at my tower at least have been told by management of a last day.

CodyFoxtrot

Rookie
Nov 29, 2012
I work at an FCT, we have until the 13th to send in impact statements for why we should stay open, the faa will review those statements and release the final list of closures the 18th. My airport has three crossing rwys 5 flight school and our ils runs opposite diection for our calm wind rwy which we use 80% of the year we run opposite direction traffic at each other contsantly. In my opinion there is no doubt we should stay open due to complexity and safely but im not too optomistic. In the memo we got today it says the only impacts they will consider in their decision making are those of national interest not, local impacts.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
The FAA has been trying to get out of operating control towers since the mid 80's, with the exception of the super busy facilities (ex. ORD, MIA, ATL, etc.). Look at some of the consolidations (approach controls) that have occured where local Tower traffic dropped down enough to end up being contracted out.

Personnally I think that the contract towers will come out alright, unless due to budget cuts the FAA has no choice but to cancel all the contact tower contracts. I imagine that it will be up to some of your local governments to pick up the cost for towers that the FAA no longer funds due to budget constraints.

wxman

Rookie
Jun 16, 2008
The letter we received stated April 7th also. Does that mean we are closed that day or is April 6th our last day. They also changed the wording...states less than 150,000 operations AND less than 10,000 commercial operations. Used to be or. Can you imagine if the FAA pulls the plug on all these towers? All the frequencies will be pulled and the towers power will be shut off. (FAA pays power bill) 173 Towers on April 7th closing...how many Notams will have to be put out on frequencies/NAVAIDS/ATIS/Closure...etc.?

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Hey Polo708

Not to sure if your union president or regional rep would be happy with you putting out the entire NATCA CBA for all to see. Thought something like that would be confidential to employees only, but as you say - you are the "Tower Conn-i-sewer"
Considering you can google NATCA CBA and find it along with being on any NATCA website there is without needing a password, I'm sure I'll be fine ;)

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
This is very trying times for many of you, even though it may feel like it, you're not alone in this battle.

GIANTS10

Newcomer
Jan 16, 2013
California
So my tower is on the list of closures. This is my first facility and I am currently a developmental. Polo, I don't understand articles 46 and 47 in the CBA. Will I go to a facility thats within commuting distance if my facility closes? I was thinking of putting some ERR's in to other facilities because of the pending closure. I am scared to do so. Will my facility know if I file one or will it be unknown to them until something happens? Thanks

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
So my tower is on the list of closures. This is my first facility and I am currently a developmental. Polo, I don't understand articles 46 and 47 in the CBA. Will I go to a facility thats within commuting distance if my facility closes? I was thinking of putting some ERR's in to other facilities because of the pending closure. I am scared to do so. Will my facility know if I file one or will it be unknown to them until something happens? Thanks
A. You will have at least a year notice before your tower actually closes.
B. Just keep plugging along... get that cto.
C. There will be a master registry list and they will offer you available positions from that list. It will still be negotiated with natca... but my bet is you stay in your region or service area.
D. Your manager has to sign the ERR paperwork and provide your latest evaluation. So yeah someone will know.