conviction of a DUI as a ATC major in college

19envision

Newcomer
Jun 2, 2010
Hello, my name is Garrett. on the 29th of may i was arrested for a DUI. blowing a .055% BAC. i am currently going to school for my ATC major and I'm only a semester into the 2 year program. i am holding a 3.6 GPA so far. I am 19 years old. should i still continue my major or what? will the FAA hold this first and only conviction against me? Or do i still have pretty good odds of being hired?

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
There have been stories of people on here having past convictions with alcohol or other drugs, but they still were picked up. I would try talking to your program adviser or wait for a better response on here.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
I've talked to the HR rep at ZOB and I asked if she had any recommendations and she said to make sure I keep my record clean because they do look into stuff like that. She said if there's me and someone else with the same credentials but who has a DUI then i would more than likely get picked over them. I guess some of the controllers who work there had some of there kids apply and they had stuff on their record so they weren't selected. I don't think it necessarily rules you out but it probably will hurt your chances somewhat.
That's not quite correct information. They run background checks and medical clearances after you've already been selected so they wouldn't be able to tell at the panels what kind of trouble you've had in the past.

With that being said, it's quite possible that your medical clearance could be denied because of how recent the conviction is. Also, what state has that low of a BAC limit?

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
you would most likely have to do a tier II psych eval...but as long as youre honest with your security clearance paperwork it probably wont be a problem

maybe take some alcohol counseling or something just to show that you've learned your lesson

19envision

Newcomer
Jun 2, 2010
well I'm a minor so i have only a .02 tolerance and i had blown a .05 that's why I'm still being charged with the DUI. I'm in Washington state. i am going to take the classes and even do some community service and volunteer for AA classes as well. i just want to correct this problem and continue on with my possible future in ATC.

19envision

Newcomer
Jun 2, 2010
and my medical clearance? I'm still about a year and a half from graduating. But then i also have to go through training in Oklahoma as well. Is that still a recent conviction even after going through all my classes and staying out of trouble? i have nothing on my history other then this. how recent do they consider convictions?

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Any of us posting are basically guessing or heresay, there is no true way to determine how an underage conviction for DUI will affect your chances of getting hired by the FAA.

I do know it will seriously complicate things. I wouldn't even know who you could contact at the FAA and ask, but I think that you need an offical ruling (get the persons name, title, and number) so you know whether you blew your chances of getting hired.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
shoulda waited till AFTER you got hired for the DUI, then you coulda got an easy sup job!

Doug Church

Director of Communications
Sep 8, 2009
Washington, D.C.
www.natca.org
Mike is correct. We just don't know how the FAA will weigh this in its determination of whether to hire you, nor would we want to speculate. All we do know is that the DUI will be looked at as part of the security/background check the FAA will do. According to its website:
Security Investigation

Question, since I'm curious: In what state does a .055 get you a DUI? I thought .08 was pretty much standard in all 50 states?

-Doug C

19envision

Newcomer
Jun 2, 2010
okay well it has all been extremely helpful. how exactly would i be able to go about contacting someone like that? i tried to call the FAA but i sat on the phone for 15 minutes and never talked to one person.

19envision

Newcomer
Jun 2, 2010
because I'm 19 years old i have a .02 tolerance and if I'm above that then i can be charged with a DUI.

lightning12224

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2009
Hey I see a bunch of people already posted, but I figured I'd pitch in since I've been in your position (Although, I was 21 when I got my DUI) and I made it through. First, don't quit, there will just be more hoops to jump through when you do get picked up. When you do get picked up just be honest and straightforward with the FAA. I went to a PEPC and here's what they wanted:
1. Written statement of everything that happened leading up to the DUI, how it happened and what you've done since. They want to know if you have an alcohol dependence problem. Bring a couple copies.
2. If you've done any alcohol counseling or treatment, whether voluntary or required, you need documentation of that saying you completed it or that you are not alcohol dependent.
3. Assuming there's probation associated with your charge, you'll need documentation from corrections saying you've completed it and did everything you were supposed to.
4. Bring all the documents related to your DUI (ticket, court papers, etc.)

Hope this helps, good luck.

lightning12224

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2009
Hey, I forgot, definitely get a chemical dependency evaluation done by a psych. It was required by the state I got my DUI in and I'm pretty sure the FAA required it.

bundies

Newcomer
Aug 4, 2010
delaware
just a guess. Go take a second class physical with an AME. Tell them you need it for student pilot. Fill out all the paper work and see how the FAA reacts. If they require more info or reject it, then you can pretty much forget ATC.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
just a guess. Go take a second class physical with an AME. Tell them you need it for student pilot. Fill out all the paper work and see how the FAA reacts. If they require more info or reject it, then you can pretty much forget ATC.
Again thats not great info.

The details are going to make or break you. Like someone else said, they are going to try to see if you have a dependance or not. At the same time the fact that you where underage should not matter. As a matter of fact the question that is going to matter most will be when they ask what you had for a BAC. There is a certian amount that requires further evals to be done. I had to report an arrest for DUI (although I have no DUI conviction and my license has never been suspended). At first this was enough info for them. After a few weeks went by with no medical clearance (even though I already heald a class 2 medical I got after the DUI arrest with not a single problem) I got a letter asking for more info, mostly what I had for a BAC (it was on the high side, very high side). After I told them (and i was underage at the time of arrest) they required me get a substance abuse eval. completed by some one with a background in "FAA standards". This ended up costing a lot of money $750 for less than an hour interview. After the interview he wrote a report, sent it to the FAA and everything was all set. If you have any questions PM me.