Criminal Background Uncertainties

Justin1994p

Newcomer
May 6, 2016
My aspiration is to become an air traffic controller. I have always wanted to enter the aviation industry my whole life. Unfortunately during the three years following high school I got in a deal of legal trouble trying to figure my life out. Cutting to the chase, I have two assault charges and a trespassing charge (all reduced to littering), along with several traffic violations. How does this affect my chance of becoming a controller? Is it still worth pursuing? Be as realistic and specific as possible please. Any and all advice and input is valued.

Plattler01

Trusted Member
Jun 7, 2012
My aspiration is to become an air traffic controller. I have always wanted to enter the aviation industry my whole life. Unfortunately during the three years following high school I got in a deal of legal trouble trying to figure my life out. Cutting to the chase, I have two assault charges and a trespassing charge (all reduced to littering), along with several traffic violations. How does this affect my chance of becoming a controller? Is it still worth pursuing? Be as realistic and specific as possible please. Any and all advice and input is valued.
Without being a background investigator or knowing the particulars of your circumstances, I don't think anyone here could provide concrete guidance on what would prevent your security clearance being approved. Generally the more recent the behavior, the harder the time though.

If the military would take you, then I'd say you would be alright. That's my only idea of figuring out if you'd have a shot. (Also probably the most reasonably reliable way to get into ATC nowadays)

lamb

Rookie
Apr 8, 2016
California
They care usually about the past 7 years. If you were born in 94, you are either 21 or 22. Traffic violations aren't usually a problem unless they're DUIs. I am not background investigator, so I don't know what they're looking for. Best thing to do is to be honest about it. Background checks start before you're hired and continue for about a year after you're hired. Just go for it. Then explain it to them when it comes up.

Good luck!

atckingfish

Newcomer
Jun 18, 2016
Pursue. Current classmate has several past drug offenses. Cost him/her job opportunities previously. Totally honest on the security equip & got a FOL. Doing fine w training

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bob Loblaw

Nov 2, 2013
Generally you need to be able to show that you can appropriately handle your criminal or financial issues. For both matters time helps to show that while you may have made mistakes, you have recognized and worked to change that aspect of your life.

By all means pursue the path you want, just remember to be absolutely forthcoming when the investigator comes around.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/2016.html

The link above provides cases and decisions for contractor security clearance appeals. It's contractor but the same rules apply in terms of what they look for and the factors that they consider. You can look into these to get a sense of what causes of concern can be, what aspects of behavior that they have a tendency to focus on (usually sound judgement and responsibility/reliability), and in cases of successful appeal what actions or behavior that an applicant was able to present that mitigated their concerns.