CTI Announcement!

Charlie_Foxtrot

Trusted Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
Instead of weighting schools, they need to eliminate several CTI programs. There are too many graduates to begin with - this would alleviate the ever-expanding pool of applicants waiting. With the proposed method of weighting schools, hard-working graduates of the "lower-level" schools will not be able to compete, no matter what their GPA or At-Sat scores are and that is a real shame. If the FAA is the one that authorizes these programs and then rates them as sub-standard, why do they exist at all?

In addition, people keep going on and on about how "this is how it is done everywhere else." Really? When I apply at ABC Bank, they automatically apply a numerical value based on the school I attended? They don't have any subjective review of my application? They don't base their hiring decision on a personal interview? The private sector non-ATC analogies people are thowing out to validate the proposed weighting method are complete nonsense.

Last edited:

bryanstrader

Newcomer
Dec 6, 2012
I completely agree with that ^... It makes no sense why there are people waiting years from "higher ranked" schools while some of the lower rated schools are pumping out graduates and then them getting hired in and washed out.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Rating schools because of sims is dumb. Sims speak nothing of a persons ability to work live traffic. I've seen tons of people washout who could rock a busy sim but fell apart with 3 planes in live position. At best it provides the chance to associate some of te bookwork with visual.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Not to mention that even if you have the best sims, you may or may not have good instructors to go with it. In one of our classes, we have to do 10 hours of sim on our own. What good does that do us when there is no one to correct our phraseology and methods? Couldn't tell you.

maxshuty

Jan 20, 2009
In addition, people keep going on and on about how "this is how it is done everywhere else." Really? When I apply at ABC Bank, they automatically apply a numerical value based on the school I attended? They don't have any subjective review of my application? They don't base their hiring decision on a personal interview? The private sector non-ATC analogies people are thowing out to validate the proposed weighting method are complete nonsense.
When I was 15-16 I applied places, didn't know how to seem professional on the application. Never got called for an interview. My current job (I'm 23 now) called me 20 minutes after I turned in the application for an interview.
Most places don't put a numerical value on applications but I know where I work and where my girlfriend works they base their interviews off of it. My girlfriends boss puts a smiley face or sad face on every application based on what he likes or doesn't like. Sounds dumb but yes most places do take all of the information on an application into account if its a career job, including schools attended, degree's earned, gpa achieved, etc...

Charlie_Foxtrot

Trusted Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
When I was 15-16 I applied places, didn't know how to seem professional on the application. Never got called for an interview. My current job (I'm 23 now) called me 20 minutes after I turned in the application for an interview.
Most places don't put a numerical value on applications but I know where I work and where my girlfriend works they base their interviews off of it. My girlfriends boss puts a smiley face or sad face on every application based on what he likes or doesn't like. Sounds dumb but yes most places do take all of the information on an application into account if its a career job, including schools attended, degree's earned, gpa achieved, etc...
This is exactly how the FAA should do it. They should not be compiling an automatic score based heavily upon where you went to school. This is my argument.

SweetJohnnyCage

Sep 6, 2011
MAKE SURE YOU CALL AND VERIFY YOUR TRANSCRIPTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED!

I had Vaughn send in my official transcript for the fall panel back in August. I was reading on facebook the past couple of days that people were calling ACD and being told that their transcripts were never attached to their applications. So I called, and they told me that my transcript was there, but was never attached to the application. So unless you call, your transcript will just sit in the pile and never be attached to you application, thus resulting in disqualification. Take the 5 minutes, call them, and make sure your transcript is uploaded and attached to your application. The guy Jeff is super helpful.

Charlie_Foxtrot

Trusted Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
MAKE SURE YOU CALL AND VERIFY YOUR TRANSCRIPTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED!

I had Vaughn send in my official transcript for the fall panel back in August. I was reading on facebook the past couple of days that people were calling ACD and being told that their transcripts were never attached to their applications. So I called, and they told me that my transcript was there, but was never attached to the application. So unless you call, your transcript will just sit in the pile and never be attached to you application, thus resulting in disqualification. Take the 5 minutes, call them, and make sure your transcript is uploaded and attached to your application. The guy Jeff is super helpful.
I was almost disqualified because my school screwed up and didn't indicate on my transcript that i graduated. Definitely call to make sure ACD has your transcript and that it is satisfactory.

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
Instead of weighting schools, they need to eliminate several CTI programs. There are too many graduates to begin with - this would alleviate the ever-expanding pool of applicants waiting. With the proposed method of weighting schools, hard-working graduates of the "lower-level" schools will not be able to compete, no matter what their GPA or At-Sat scores are and that is a real shame. If the FAA is the one that authorizes these programs and then rates them as sub-standard, why do they exist at all?

Your first paragraph is EXACTLY why I am not sure this whole thing would work for the CTI hiring process. And I agree, if the school is that substandard and no matter what the hardest working CTI grad does can't do anything after graduating there (because of the whole weighting system or whatever), then just axe the school and keep your higher rated schools and they wouldn't have to worry about most of this.

But your second paragraph... all because ABC bank doesn't have a formalized system like the government is trying to do with their process here, doesn't mean that they didn't objectively look at the school and take that into account for their job applicant. That's complete nonsense to believe that it doesn't happen. Does it justify what the FAA is trying to do? No, but again my point is simple, which is that it happens. I just don't understand why everybody is so surprised!

Charlie_Foxtrot

Trusted Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
Your first paragraph is EXACTLY why I am not sure this whole thing would work for the CTI hiring process. And I agree, if the school is that substandard and no matter what the hardest working CTI grad does can't do anything after graduating there (because of the whole weighting system or whatever), then just axe the school and keep your higher rated schools and they wouldn't have to worry about most of this.

But your second paragraph... all because ABC bank doesn't have a formalized system like the government is trying to do with their process here, doesn't mean that they didn't objectively look at the school and take that into account for their job applicant. That's complete nonsense to believe that it doesn't happen. Does it justify what the FAA is trying to do? No, but again my point is simple, which is that it happens. I just don't understand why everybody is so surprised!
There should not be a "formalized system" as has been proposed. Of course the hiring manager at ABC Bank will give preference to a graduate of an Ivy League school but the human element will not be removed. He will interview the applicant and consider his work experience. The interview process the FAA currently has is merely a formality and not an opportunity to distinguish one's self from other applicants.

As I have said before, just because this proposed method is different than the current crappy one, it doesn't mean it is any better.

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
If they start weighing schools, who wouldn't be smart enough to only go to the top schools.... nobody will be going to the other schools, so one again it will be pointless.

maxshuty

Jan 20, 2009
If they start weighing schools, who wouldn't be smart enough to only go to the top schools.... nobody will be going to the other schools, so one again it will be pointless.
You'd be surprised, the forums will be filled with people saying "I didn't know that they weighted schools and I just got an online degree"

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
You'd be surprised, the forums will be filled with people saying "I didn't know that they weighted schools and I just got an online degree"
"But dude, they told me all I had to do was take a few classes and I was GUARANTEED a six figure salary."

uns4n3

Rookie
Dec 30, 2010
Eliminate all the cti schools except for one standardized school and make it super competitive to get in.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
And that, ladies and gents, is an example of someone who did not bother to read the replies to their own thread, or any of the multitude of other treads started on te same topic.