CTI Basics Refresher

atcBOB

Rookie
Dec 26, 2008
AS a CTI student waiting for so long to get to the academy, how much of what we learned at CTI school are we expected to remember? Is there a quick refresher course or do they just jump in to terminal or en route training right away? Any good resources to help review some of the basics before we go?

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
I often wonder the same thing. I thought I read on here, that if you get picked up from a CTI announcement, you skip basics out at the Acadamy.

If that's the case, I will just be reviewing all my CTI texts and notes.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Someone currently in enroute told me that the beginning of initial is a rehash of basics, so a review of sorts apparently catering to CTI folks who may have had a gap would be my thought.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
A lot of people are reading more into this. It's understandable since it's an unknown for most. Once you get to terminal or center training, it'll all come back to you. When I got to the academy, I hadn't controlled for over a year and hadn't done bookwork for 5 yrs. You'll get into the groove pretty quick and it'll all come back. It's boring bookwork at first anyway. Don't sweat it.

D

djmodifyd

the academy is easy
the classroom is basic stuff and they cover it very well

don't sweat it

CL4TKoff

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2008
Sunny South Florida
It's been a while for me since CTI school also, so I made a personal goal to review all of the material and re-read the chapters pertaining to ATC so I don't make myself look retarded in OKC.

I don't fly or work in the Aviation industry at all, actually I work in the Medical field, so all the abbreviations that I see every day pertain to medical stuff. ALS in my mind right now is "Advanced Life Support" while it should be "Approach Lighting System".
I am a little rusty with the detail stuff, like the minimums for VFR/SVFR/IFR. all that good stuff, aircraft categories by approach speed, weight classes, etc.

A little self-refresher can only help.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
Whatever you need to make yourself comfortable, go for it. You want to be relaxed going in. Just know that it starts off pretty basic. I kept hearing the CTI people saying..."we just went over this....this is just like CTI school". No need to worry about it, it'll all come back to ya. Best of luck!

bippoptl

Newcomer
Oct 15, 2008
Someone currently in enroute told me that the beginning of initial is a rehash of basics, so a review of sorts apparently catering to CTI folks who may have had a gap would be my thought.

the beginning is definately not a rehash of basics at all. you start learning strips from day one, and the map..we got a 45 minute lesson on strips on the last day of basics. there was no rehashing at all. i know a few cti people who were out for a while and they struggle through Non Radar, but by the time radar comes around they do fine.

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert
I just finished the classroom portion of a CTI/VRA class a few weeks ago. On the terminal option, they go and rehash a lot of the ATC basics stuff. A lot of the stuff is also integrated into the training so you'll remember it once you start doing again. As far as en route...who knows, but I hope you like the dark :)

jholw311

Trusted Contributor
May 27, 2009
PARKER, COLORADO
BUMP!!! I bumped this one up to see if any recent CTI grads went from a long wait to OKC directly to enroute training, and what is initially covered, and what we should be studying before OKC.

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
CTI graduated 08/2009 and got here 04/2011...like jtomes said, no need to do much studying. They will go over everything you need to know. But, if you wanted to study, I'm sure studying long./lat./vert. separation and issueing clearances wouldn't hurt...

goflysumthin

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2011
I plan on auditing the ATC classes at my CTI school for the last quarter or two before going to the academy. My school doesn't charge for this at all, and encourages their graduates to sit in on classes before going to OKC.

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
Have any of you heard of the 7110.65?

If you went to a good school then you would already know what to study. I waited over 1 year and I didn't study anything and I was fine. You get time to do stuff in OKC and by then you will be in the enviroment with the desire to learn this crap. I don't know about you but have you every tried to read the .65 out of the blue? It sucks especially when ramming your head into a wall is way more fun. My advice would be to wait until you get there and then take the first weekend to study up on crap that you need to remember. By then you will be so amped up on ATC that you will actually want to read some chapters multiple times. They are not going to expect you to know much the first few weeks anyway.

There were people in my class that IMO knew 0%, they were absolute morons. They had to be spoon fed the material like so high school student every day. And 2/4 of those people passed the course which was amazing and mostly due to the fact that our instructors where awesome.

Jan 5, 2010
QA
www.jetphotos.net
Here at Vaughn College, there is a capstone class every AT-CTI student must take after graduation in order to get recommended by the college. Once you pass the test, you get recommended by the school and you can retake the capstone class anytime when you wait for the TOL. Think of it as a refresher course.