CTI No Longer Receive Preferential Hiring

SCM

Newcomer
Oct 22, 2016
Rome, Ga
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but in my research on here the past few months I discovered that I needed to extend my CTI eligibility because I'm almost at the 3yr expiration mark. I just got off the phone with the Aviation Careers Division, and they said CTI isn't a preferential hiring thing anymore.
I'm confused now. I contacted the director of aeronautics at my college and just got his recommendation letter, why would he take the time to compose the letter of recommendation for me to apply as a CTI grad if it doesn't make a difference? Is this something that has just recently changed?
Why would anyone purposefully go to a CTI school if it didn't offer any benefits to the hiring process? Isn't that what the CTI program is about?

mrobs15

Trusted Contributor
Dec 11, 2012
Orange County, CA
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but in my research on here the past few months I discovered that I needed to extend my CTI eligibility because I'm almost at the 3yr expiration mark. I just got off the phone with the Aviation Careers Division, and they said CTI isn't a preferential hiring thing anymore.
I'm confused now. I contacted the director of aeronautics at my college and just got his recommendation letter, why would he take the time to compose the letter of recommendation for me to apply as a CTI grad if it doesn't make a difference? Is this something that has just recently changed?
Why would anyone purposefully go to a CTI school if it didn't offer any benefits to the hiring process? Isn't that what the CTI program is about?

I would not attend a CTI school if your goal is to do ATC in the FAA. CTI used to be a way to get a guaranteed shot at the AT-SAT and potentially getting hired but they changed the hiring process to an open bid model that anyone can apply to.

The most recent bid allowed for CTI students to skip the Biographical Questionnaire that is a considerable hurdle that weeds out a lot of people. This is why you got your letter of recommendation and applied to Pool 1 and not Pool 2.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
Uhhhhhhhhh, where have you been for the last 3 years...

ATCWAI

Jan 21, 2015
CTI is just another way to spell ART. Like an art degree. As useful as that.

CTI-LUVR

Aug 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Although CTI may not have the same preferential hiring as they used to. I would still implore anyone to go get their CTI degree. I learned so much valuable information and honestly feel leaps and bounds more prepared for this career than most other avenues.

Although I am a little discouraged from this previous bid in that it seems we are going to get squeezed out yet again. Its time to call your senators and congressmen and DEMAND that we receive better preference.

SCM

Newcomer
Oct 22, 2016
Rome, Ga
Thanks for getting me up to speed on that.

As to where I've been for the past 3 years: Florida, Japan, Virginia, and Georgia. My husband is military, and I haven't been anywhere long enough to catch my breath, let alone keep up with the ever changing world of the FAA. We're finally staying put for a while, so I am finding my way back into the workforce and figuring out what I need to do next.

I've been searching for answers and piecing things together, but this site has a lot of old info which is making it difficult to decipher, hence my question about CTI extension. I found the info about the 3 year expiration just the other day on here and freaked because I'm barely still within the window (that no longer even matters lol).

Luckily I was already on the aviation management degree track when my school got the CTI accreditation, and I just had to add a few extra classes to get the CTI, so it's not like I'm out a ton of time and money. I've already taken the AT-SAT (in 2013), but missed this most recent hiring bid by a month from what's been said around the forum. I got back on USA jobs in September.. bummer

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for getting me up to speed on that.

As to where I've been for the past 3 years: Florida, Japan, Virginia, and Georgia. My husband is military, and I haven't been anywhere long enough to catch my breath, let alone keep up with the ever changing world of the FAA. We're finally staying put for a while, so I am finding my way back into the workforce and figuring out what I need to do next.

I've been searching for answers and piecing things together, but this site has a lot of old info which is making it difficult to decipher, hence my question about CTI extension. I found the info about the 3 year expiration just the other day on here and freaked because I'm barely still within the window (that no longer even matters lol).

Luckily I was already on the aviation management degree track when my school got the CTI accreditation, and I just had to add a few extra classes to get the CTI, so it's not like I'm out a ton of time and money. I've already taken the AT-SAT (in 2013), but missed this most recent hiring bid by a month from what's been said around the forum. I got back on USA jobs in September.. bummer
Your AT-SAT score has gone bye bye btw

sunshine333

Newcomer
Mar 23, 2018
Attending CTI is very useful only if you get to attend the academy. Even without the BQ more CTI candidates will be selected than non-CTIs. When selected the CTI grad will have already learned tons of knowledge (including simulator practice) that others have not yet making the academy somewhat easier. I don't know for sure but my sense is that pool 2 is larger than pool 1 which would also give you an advantage. Does anyone know the average numbers for pool 1 vs pool 2? The downside is that if you don't make it as an ATC then you have very few options as a career. It's a coin toss either way.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
CTI students also complete the CTO exam during their time in school.
Didn't mean a whole lot in the past, since they'd just give the CTO exam during a student's time at the Academy. If they didn't pass, it'd be issued again to them at the facility.
Means even less now because it's not given at the Academy or at most facilities.

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008
The two pools are split evenly, 50/50 plus or minus 5 percent on hiring. Since CTI apply with military, you actually can have lower cti tols than OTS. And it also depends on the ATSA scores. If more pool 2 get WQ scores, the five percent can go in their favor. You might have better “odds” on volume on pool1 but it’s not necessarily easier to get picked up

And cti is good for basics, that’s about it. Sim practice can help, but cti is just as likely to fail as a ots is. Throw in the shit attitude most ctis have and you can see why the “most qualified” fail.

sunshine333

Newcomer
Mar 23, 2018
The two pools are split evenly, 50/50 plus or minus 5 percent on hiring. Since CTI apply with military, you actually can have lower cti tols than OTS. And it also depends on the ATSA scores. If more pool 2 get WQ scores, the five percent can go in their favor. You might have better “odds” on volume on pool1 but it’s not necessarily easier to get picked up

And cti is good for basics, that’s about it. Sim practice can help, but cti is just as likely to fail as a ots is. Throw in the shit attitude most ctis have and you can see why the “most qualified” fail.
I read that there is no more than a 10% difference in the numbers picked up between pools. Do they ever tell the statistics about how many came from each pool vs the total of each pool applied? Also the % of wash outs for Pool 1 vs Pool 2? That would be interesting to see. Also, it seems that your perception is that CTIs have a bad attitude. From the posts on here it appears the other way around. Why do you say that? Have you been through the academy already and experienced bad attitudes? Just wondering...

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I read that there is no more than a 10% difference in the numbers picked up between pools. Do they ever tell the statistics about how many came from each pool vs the total of each pool applied? Also the % of wash outs for Pool 1 vs Pool 2? That would be interesting to see. Also, it seems that your perception is that CTIs have a bad attitude. From the posts on here it appears the other way around. Why do you say that? Have you been through the academy already and experienced bad attitudes? Just wondering...
Yes, after the application closes and HR gets everyone sorted, they'll say how many from each pool applied and got referred.
Pool 1 vs Pool 2 selections can differ by law by no more than 10%. So 55%/45% split between the pools.

The people with the worst attitude at the Academy is the ones that go back for tower after having spent time at a Center. Although I've heard some other classes have been horrendous as well.