Newcomer
Jul 7, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
Man sues FAA over cost of college degree

ADVERTISEMENT

By ELAINE SILVESTRINI

esilvestrini@tampatrib.com

Published: August 3, 2010

TAMPA - Sean Deering says he has been in love with aviation since he was 11.

When he was 12, he mowed lawns to pay for flight lessons.

But the Federal Aviation Administration, he says, has blocked him from pursuing a career as an air traffic controller, ruling he does not qualify because he is slightly colorblind.

Deering, 22, of Sarasota, wants the FAA to reimburse him the $300,000 he spent pursuing a degree at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona. Deering filed a federal lawsuit in Tampa against the federal agency. He said he enrolled at the university after being tested and was told he was medically qualified to be an air traffic controller.

In the time it took Deering to attain his bachelor's degree in air traffic management, the FAA changed its standards, making them more stringent.

"We are holding safety professionals to a higher standard of compliance with our medical requirements," said FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen, who said she could not comment on Deering's lawsuit.

Airports are upgrading their equipment, Bergen said, and air traffic controllers need to be able to distinguish colors on myriad computers, including weather radar. "Everything the FAA does is all about public safety; the safety of the flying public and people on the ground as well," she said.
Deering said he was one of the first applicants subjected to the more stringent tests. He said that his colorblindness has never affected him in any way, and that his own doctors have told him he is not colorblind. He has been a private pilot and has worked in South Carolina as an airport inspector who has looked at colored lights.

"I've never had a problem," he said.

The economy has been tough on his family, he said. He's staying with his mother, who lost her house in a foreclosure.

Unable to be an air traffic controller, Deering said, he is working part time doing maintenance and housekeeping at the YMCA in Sarasota.

"Not exactly what I went to school for," Deering said. "I have loans. They're not paid."

Reporter Elaine Silvestrini can be reached at (813) 259-7837.

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
My buddy went to Riddle and had $100,000 in debt and he had flight costs in there. What the hell did this ahole do to accumulate $300,000?

The last part of the article was looking for sympathy. I don't blame the FAA for working as a ramp rat right now with a Bachelors Degree...

Bleh.

marklar84

Jul 7, 2009
U.S.A....U.S.A.....U.S.A.
Something doesn't add up with this story. The FAA made a small adjustment to the test and now he's color blind?! Why didn't he sue the doctors for telling him he wasn't color blind!!

TimShady

Senior Analyst
Mar 12, 2009
Chicago
I mean it sucks that he went to school thinking he was medically eligible and then found out he's not. I've often thought about how bad that would suck.

300,000?! Did he get his ATP or something? I have no idea how much ERAU costs but that's beyond insane. Like triple insane at least.

marklar84

Jul 7, 2009
U.S.A....U.S.A.....U.S.A.
My buddy went to Riddle and had $100,000 in debt and he had flight costs in there. What the hell did this ahole do to accumulate $300,000?

The last part of the article was looking for sympathy. I don't blame the FAA for working as a ramp rat right now with a Bachelors Degree...

Bleh.
I also went to Riddle (and I'm not ashamed to say it, haha) I spent about $140k on flight and everything. It's not cheap.

300k must be for "pain and suffering". There is no way to spend that much at Riddle...unless he signed up for the space shuttle or blackbird type rating course.

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
lolz at marklar.

yeah the FAA didn't tell this douche, "sure mr. guy, go cti and you'll have a job". ain't their problem. controlling may not be the career option for him and not the reason he has megadebt.

nja0423

May 4, 2009
I don't see what CTI teaches people that you can't pick up at the FAA Academy or in the field training... In fact, the CTIs are probably worse than people off the street with no experience...
oh jesus :banghead:......here we go again

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
Meh, either way I asked a buddy who went there and he said you'd have to fail every class 5 times while retaking them to accumulate that much debt. He will never see that money.

Towns2dd

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2010
I'm a ERAU Grad with $80,000 dollars in student loan debt. I cannot imagine ANY riddle student racking up $300,000 dollars in student loan debt. Even if this guy gets CPC at the busiest level 12 facility in the country, he will be hard press to pay off $300,000. Something does not add up. I do agree that intructors in Riddle hype up students to go CTI to "guarantee employment".

angryweb

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2010
Los Angeles
With the money he spent there he could have moved to CA and gone to Mt. SAC and had the whole thing done with room and board for 10,000. It's like buying a Ferrari before learning how to drive then failing a driver's test. I don't have sympathy for him.

MoFoxtrot

Newcomer
Nov 4, 2009
"Deering said he was one of the first applicants subjected to the more stringent tests. He said that his colorblindness has never affected him in any way, and that his own doctors have told him he is not colorblind."

Now maybe I'm just slow, but did he contradict himself? He is admitting to his colorblindness and how it has never affected him, yet his doctors are saying he's not colorblind??? This is hilarious. This guy must have rejected the 200+ dollar per credit hour course fee for the $1600 (which he is the only one to ever pay) because he feels hes getting a better deal. I'm not sure if they still have dumb ass of the year awards but if so I'll bet he's for sure a finalist. Bottom line he will never see that money and he will probably end up $300,00 further in debt in lawyer fees all in a losing effort, plus they should tack on an extra $.72 for waisting everyones time.

I could go on and on about how this guy rode the short bus backwards to and from Riddle for four years, but hey......he spent $300k on a bachelors.....I think he speaks for himself best.

Towns2dd

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2010
Colorblindness disqualifies ANYBODY from being an air traffic controller! I don't care if he/she is slightly colorblind, ATCing is out of the question! Whoever told him that he can be a ATCer SLIGHTLY color blind is retarded!

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
1st mistake was going to the most expensive way possible to get into the ATC game. Idiot.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
what cracked me up is that it said he worked at an airport and looked at colored lights. big freakin deal. doesn't mean he knew what color they were. it sucks, but these rules are in place for safety reasons. i don't want a pilot that's color blind or deaf as much as i don't want a controller that's color blind or deaf.

just because he has a degree in something other than what he's doing now at the YMCA, doesn't mean someone should pay off his loans.

WHAT A TOOL