CTO Apps..... Waste of time?

Caffeinated

Rookie
Feb 27, 2012
Chicago
Has anyone ever been hired on the CTO apps? I know it's usually us vet's that have them.. but seriously. Why do they advertise them? Seems like a waste!

RomeoIndia

Rookie
Aug 5, 2011
Old thread I know, but yes, some Advanced ATC grads have been hired off of the CTO announcement.

skyisthelimit523

Newcomer
Feb 2, 2012
Just out of curiosity, since I'll be entering a CTO program soon, how often do they hire CTO? Twice per year similar to CTI? And, yes, I know nobody can predict what the FAA will do, but I'm curious what the trend has been.

Knoctrl

Newcomer
Sep 30, 2012
Are they super strict on the 52 week ATC experience for the CTO annocements? I have about 26 weeks (USAF) with a CTO but no ratings.

RomeoIndia

Rookie
Aug 5, 2011
Are they super strict on the 52 week ATC experience for the CTO annocements? I have about 26 weeks (USAF) with a CTO but no ratings.
No, there is no experience requirement for the CTO announcement, just that you have one.

purpletw

Trusted Member
Dec 14, 2010
No, there is no experience requirement for the CTO announcement, just that you have one.
Thats not true. They go back and forth. Sometimes that's a requirement and sometimes not. I'd have to pull the latest announcement up to check but it could have required the 52 weeks.

RomeoIndia

Rookie
Aug 5, 2011
Just from my experience, in last four announcements including the one that just closed, you haven't needed a certain amount of experience, just a CTO with facility rating. Not to say that won't change in the future, that's just the trend right now. I guess I should have been more specific, oops.

Jan 27, 2010
I think you may have a pink card with no ratings, not a CTO with no ratings. I may be wrong but, I have a CTO and could not get it until actually being a "C"ertified "T"ower "O"perator meaning FD/CD/GC/LC qualifications (ratings).