CTO certificate

swade85

Newcomer
Aug 10, 2009
Oklahoma
Does anyone know if there is a way to get your cto without being in the faa? I was recently let go and only had local control left to check out on. And I'm wanting to try to work at a contract tower but I need to finish my cto. Anybody's input would be much apriciated!

towerflower

Jun 15, 2008
Palm Coast, FL
One way is through the military, if that isn't an option then I have heard of at one CTI school in which they train in the tower at/near the university. The school is Beaver, we had one CTI graduate from there and he had a CTO from the tower that they trained in.
Good luck.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
One way is through the military, if that isn't an option then I have heard of at one CTI school in which they train in the tower at/near the university. The school is Beaver, we had one CTI graduate from there and he had a CTO from the tower that they trained in.
Good luck.
Most places dont recognize that as a true CTO... the FAA and Serco sure dont.

MattJordan

Sep 18, 2008
Most places dont recognize that as a true CTO... the FAA and Serco sure dont.
Unfortunatly, the FAA may not but on their website it does

http://www.faa.gov/jobs/job_opportunities/airtraffic_controllers/openings/ said:
We are accepting applications from individuals possessing a Control Tower Operator certificate with a facility rating from trade schools, universities, and colleges

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
I know plenty of people from Beaver Co. CTI have gotten into the FAA by ONLY having their CTO from working the tower at Beaver. They choose not to do they private pilot's certificate portion of the CTI program, so they're technically not even CTI graduates.

They just get their CTO, apply under the CTO bid, and they're in....

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Really? I don't see the word "bonus" mentioned anywhere in this thread? I might've misunderstood then...

I was more referring to your post. You said the FAA doesn't recognize CTI CTO's as "true" CTO's, but like I said, I know people get in with their Beaver Co. CTO, so obviously the FAA does in fact recognize the CTO...

travelingcutie

Dec 13, 2008
Atlanta
The CTOs from Beaver are real CTOs in the sense that you can apply to become an ATCer under the CTO announcement.
However, in order to apply for a job at a Contract Tower, a CTO plus 6 months of experiece is also required.
I hope this clarifies any confusion, and please correct me if Im wrong.
(I got my CTO in the mail a few weeks ago and it looks just like a PPL)

swade85

Newcomer
Aug 10, 2009
Oklahoma
My problem is I live in Oklahoma. I have a family to take care of and already have enough student loans from me trying to pursue my pilot's career. So I'm probably just screwed.

lesmiserables1

Newcomer
Apr 1, 2009
Texas
L3 in Denison Tx has an ATC academy. With your experience, you could blow through the course. Their # 903-786-6200. I am an Instructor/Controller there and we are graduating #66 I believe, this week.

Bravejango

Oct 20, 2009
Mustang, OK
The CTOs from Beaver are real CTOs in the sense that you can apply to become an ATCer under the CTO announcement.
However, in order to apply for a job at a Contract Tower, a CTO plus 6 months of experiece is also required.
I hope this clarifies any confusion, and please correct me if Im wrong.
(I got my CTO in the mail a few weeks ago and it looks just like a PPL)
i just applied to RVA and they require 2 years experience with a CTO.

meadelz

Mar 10, 2009
There have been a number of Beaver folks who got in with their CTO and got the bonus. And contrary to what Polo has said, there are FCT's out there who hire with just Beaver experience. Maybe not Serco, but it can be done and is being done.