CTO Training

shaight

Jun 22, 2008
Glencoe CA
I have a friend who is 32 now and wants to become a controller. No military, she has been a pilot for the past 5 years. I believe that she can pay her way through CTO Training but I am not sure where to find information on that.

Is there a place to get your CTO, besides a college? Can she pay her way through the academy for a CTo and not work for the FAA?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

travelingcutie

Dec 13, 2008
Atlanta
The only place I know of to obtain a CTO is CCBC. You just need to take 19 credits.

"The ATC certificate program is designed to qualify students for employment at a NFCT (non-federal control tower) with private companies, city, county and state goverments. The credits earned in the certificate program can also be transfered to one of CCBC's Aviation Sciences degree programs if a two-year degree is desired."

Good Luck!

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
Considering her age, she will have to go to a contract tower. The main problem with that is they want experience, not just a CTO. Her best bet, IMO, is to go to a school that provides training for a CTO and then hopefully get hired by that school to work the tower. Work there for a little while to gain experience and then try to get into a contract tower. It's not going to be easy, but it can be done.

A

Adam

I knew a guy that got hired by Midwest who hadn't controlled planes for over 10 years since he had left the Navy...they hired him and he is currently working as a controller in Kansas.

Link ATC Academy or Advanced ATC will let you get a CTO in 10 - 12 months, but it costs about 40 - 50K.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
I have a friend that is a retired army controller who hasn't controlled in 12-15yrs and got picked up by RVA. Point is, they have experience. RVA was at one time saying you needed at least 1 year before they would consider.

shaight

Jun 22, 2008
Glencoe CA
I knew a guy that got hired by Midwest who hadn't controlled planes for over 10 years since he had left the Navy...they hired him and he is currently working as a controller in Kansas.

Link ATC Academy or Advanced ATC will let you get a CTO in 10 - 12 months, but it costs about 40 - 50K.
Thanks Lawngnome.. you are always a wealth of information.

The ATC Academy I believe is exactly what she is looking for.. the Advance ATC is probably just as good BUT their website does not work.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
I met a controller working for RVA who came on at 32 with no prior experience. I'd get you in touch with her, let you ask her some questions... except she decided to pick up a position in Dubai and I don't have her contact... and she's kind of hard to get to now.

Anyway, I'd start calling up the contract companies, see what they advise.

shaight

Jun 22, 2008
Glencoe CA
I met a controller working for RVA who came on at 32 with no prior experience. I'd get you in touch with her, let you ask her some questions... except she decided to pick up a position in Dubai and I don't have her contact... and she's kind of hard to get to now.

Anyway, I'd start calling up the contract companies, see what they advise.
Thanks ... That is what I advised my friend. I also told her to contact the tower manager of the tower she wants.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but the big 3 (Serco, RVA, Midwest) MAY not hire u if u have a CTO from a CTI school. Even though you have a CTO it's not guaranteed that they will hire you. They want you to have a year of CTO experience and within the last 6 months.

If I were ur friend Sarah I would make sure she talks to someone from the big 3 to make sure she would be eligible for hire. Hate to see her go all that way and $$$ just to get stone-walled. I personally haven't heard of an FCT picking up a CTI student that has a CTO. Unless they had experience other than just the CTI school (ie. CTI, then FAA, then quit/retire/resign and then go FCT).

Just make a few calls and see what all they want for experience and qualifications first.

shaight

Jun 22, 2008
Glencoe CA
I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but the big 3 (Serco, RVA, Midwest) MAY not hire u if u have a CTO from a CTI school. Even though you have a CTO it's not guaranteed that they will hire you. They want you to have a year of CTO experience and within the last 6 months.

If I were ur friend Sarah I would make sure she talks to someone from the big 3 to make sure she would be eligible for hire. Hate to see her go all that way and $$$ just to get stone-walled. I personally haven't heard of an FCT picking up a CTI student that has a CTO. Unless they had experience other than just the CTI school (ie. CTI, then FAA, then quit/retire/resign and then go FCT).

Just make a few calls and see what all they want for experience and qualifications first.
Thanks Jeff.. I did tell her to contact the contractor to find out what requirements they have and what route they suggest.

DeltaNui

Feb 6, 2009
Grand Forks, ND
www.undsatca.org
Am I the only person that thinks places like Advanced ATC seem fishy? Basically you pay $50,000 for your CTO when you could just hire with the FAA off the street and be paid to get your CTO? These companies are privately owned and are not CTI schools. Unless contractors are hiring lots of people with zero experience, it seems like it would be very easy to get burned by these places.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
How about the people that are past the entry age limit and cannot get a waiver? This is their only real option if they want to get into ATC. They don't need a degree, just a license. I still think they will have a hard time getting picked up by a contract tower, but anything is possible. I still think they best bet is trying to get hired where you got your CTO and work that for a year or so to get the experience required.

The problem with getting picked up at a contract tower w/o any experience is because of the training program. RVA gives you 30 days to get fully checked out, and that includes getting your LAWRS cert. If the manager likes you, they can extend it another 30 days, but that's it. Getting fully checked out in under 60 days w/o any experience could prove a bit difficult for most.

Mizzou80

Sep 24, 2008
Am I the only person that thinks places like Advanced ATC seem fishy? Basically you pay $50,000 for your CTO when you could just hire with the FAA off the street and be paid to get your CTO? These companies are privately owned and are not CTI schools. Unless contractors are hiring lots of people with zero experience, it seems like it would be very easy to get burned by these places.
You're not...A lot of the things they have claimed are fishy at best and probably flat out lies at worst. I think they were claiming that the FAA was giving a garuntee about how many graduates they were going to hire and that they recieve more money on average upon getting hired by the FAA. They make it out to seem that a CTO is going to get you picked up by the FAA with no prior experience..I wouldn't trust them. Things like this have a tendency to go belly up taking your money and grauntees with them.

EDIT: I was talking about Link ATC aviation or whatever its called...I don't really know anything about advanced ATC.

Muneco

Jan 13, 2009
my husband actually goes to Link ATC Academy and i thought the same thing you did.The school is very new and only takes about 10 months. I was skeptical at first because it was hard to believe that it would take less than a year to get into the atc career field plus it cost 40,000 dollars but they assured my husband that they don't expect any money until the course is over and he secures a job. Now hes been going for a month and a half and they given him all his books and a laptop full of study material. hes done well on his first two tests and got to speak with the FAA administrators who came to see the students and the new school yesterday. They said they'll be administering the CTO test in two months. after that he has 6 1/2 months of simulator and tower training then he goes to Oklahoma for 3months for additional FAA training and testing. Its all been so exciting and we haven't had to pay a cent except for the cost of relocating to Dennison. there's no way this can be a scam because if he doesn't get a lob then they're just screwing themselves
Sounds like a marketing agent posting on stuckmic to me.This person posted the same exact thing in like 5 different threads. Mods, you guys should look into this.

The FAA has not even approved to program. It also says so on their website.

Oh and PS

You don't have to go CTI for the job anymore, or "Advanced ATC school". They are hiring off the streets if ya haven't noticed.

Here is a quote from this program:

"Upon successful completion of the curriculum, you will receive a certificate from Valdosta Technical College. Once you have demonstrated the necessary skills, requirements and knowledge to be ready for the Certified Tower Operator (CTO) exam, you will be recommended to the FAA Examiner to be evaluated. Upon successful completion of the CTO rating, you will receive your FAA certificate. Advanced ATC will then begin the process of assisting you in preparing applications for employment. We do not guarantee future employment."
Assist??? LOL. Oh ya and they dont guarantee employment.

Save your $40,000 and get your CTO at the academy.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Yeah... we've been having this discussion in another thread and are coming to the same conclusions.

Link is run by a company that manufactures ATC simulators, including some of the ones used at MMAC (I believe. Don't quote me on that). That gives them a little bit of starting credibility to me, but when you add up everything, something's just... not right.

Like not paying anything until you have a job. That's different from what I heard over the phone from the recruiter I spoke with. He said that they'll defer payment until the classes have been completed, but didn't mention not paying until you have an ATC job. That sounds a little too good to me.

I have the feeling that we won't know a whole lot more until later this year when Link's first class graduates. If some of them end up interviewing and getting TOL's right away (and, of course, those turn into FOL's and people in facilities), then great. If not, there'll be plenty of people here to say "I told you so."

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
Save your $40,000 and get your CTO at the academy.

The purpose of that school is to get your CTO certificate.

The academy in OKC does not give you this. You take the AWT, which is also called CTO, but you do not get a pretty plastic card. That is only when you certify at a facility.

I'm not saying the school they are talking about is any good, just making sure you know there is a difference between the CTO(AWT) and a CTO rating.

Raydon

Happy Camper
Aug 18, 2008
OKC
my husband actually goes to Link ATC Academy and i thought the same thing you did.The school is very new and only takes about 10 months. I was skeptical at first because it was hard to believe that it would take less than a year to get into the atc career field plus it cost 40,000 dollars but they assured my husband that they don't expect any money until the course is over and he secures a job. Now hes been going for a month and a half and they given him all his books and a laptop full of study material. hes done well on his first two tests and got to speak with the FAA administrators who came to see the students and the new school yesterday. They said they'll be administering the CTO test in two months. after that he has 6 1/2 months of simulator and tower training then he goes to Oklahoma for 3months for additional FAA training and testing. Its all been so exciting and we haven't had to pay a cent except for the cost of relocating to Dennison. there's no way this can be a scam because if he doesn't get a lob then they're just screwing themselves
i think she's an advertising plant too.

KV8588 has posted exactly 7 times on this website and every single one has been about Link aviation and her husband.

She hasn't even asked any questions.. like the other wife did from JC.. she was always researching and asking..

and the information KV keeps giving out is not very well substantiated, sounds lofty and too wishy washy to be any more than gossip generating here-say advertising.

------i'm on the verge of locking up/deleting this thread like the first two I did because there seems to be a trend of turning all attention onto Link and it's making me uncomfortable.------