Dallas TRACON - D10

TexasATC

Newcomer
Aug 13, 2008
I'm trying to track an old friend down. Any help would be appreciated. If you work at DFW send me a PM, thanks!

natcababe

Rookie
Sep 23, 2008
Re: Anyone currently work at DFW TRACON?

dont work there but know lots of folks, who are you looking for?

DFWLVR

Jan 7, 2009
Arlington, Republic of Texas
Anyone going to Dallas Tracon anytime soon? I live in arlington, and was just graciously redirect from ZHU to D10. Want to hang out? PM so we can chat about our new jobs as tin pushers.

UTAMAV

turbovela

Aug 17, 2009
Im trying to get the phone numbers of the tRACOn in Dallas, trying toet my name out there, maybe even visiting the location if possible. For some reason, even after making a donation, I can't access teh facility locator, and I wanted to see if anyone here could help me out.

Thanks in advance

Jose

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
At first I thought you meant that you made a donation to Dallas TRACON. That didn't make no sense.

Try (972) 615-2500.

D

d10owl

D10 uses ARTS and we don't use strips, everything we need is in the ARTS (stratchpad, etc).

D

d10owl

It's true. The majority of DFW traffic comes from the east. But what really makes it difficult on the east is the close proximity of Dallas-Love, DFW and Addison.

D

d10owl

I'm not sure about inbounds to the TRACON, but I'll try to see if I can find anything out. I know by the end of the year we are suppose to have just as many trainees as certified controllers. Training is starting to slow down because of the number of trainees we have now. It takes prior military hires up to 2 months from when they get here to start class on their first position. Everyone else its taking about 3 months to start class or longer. When you get here be patient and just soak it all in while you wait to start training.

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008
Well since they have a bid out, no PCS money though, I figured I would bump it to the top...

turbovela

Aug 17, 2009
I was wondering what the staffing was like at D10? A lot of trainees? are they going to take newly hired people anytime soon?

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
D10 wont take new hires, only current FAA employees. They recently advertised a bid for "many" which just closed a few weeks ago so I'd imagine their manning isn't too great.

SlyRoach

Newcomer
May 23, 2010
I myself am really interested in trying to get into D10. Being from Dallas area I have family there and know the area. Currently in the AF and in the UK. I worked at WRI previously and loved the heavy traffic there.

I was curious about how many positions/sectors there are at D10. How long does it take to get rated in most if not all of them? Also if theres anyone I could get ahold of to come check out the TRACON and/or meet some people working there. That is of course the next time I'm in the states.

ATC_Madness

Newcomer
Jul 15, 2011
Can anyone tell me what the training situation is at D10 right now? I heard a year ago they had something crazy like 40 trainees at different stages. Not to stir the rumor mill, but just wondering if that cleared up... also mainly just wanting to know if they have been freezing anyone's training like I've heard has been happening to a lot of new hires upon reaching their facilities.

SlyRoach- I got my TOL for there after separating with just my EGUL RAPCON rating. Acquired some more experience since then waiting for the class date... but still got picked up with only that rating on my app.

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
i don't really know the exact situation out there..since i work zfw i work with one of their feeder sectors and a few others. they stay pretty busy all day, i believe DFW's still 3rd or 4th busiest in the country. we had a fellah who used to work in our area & got picked up over there, i think it took him about 3 yrs to get checked out...and he's one good controller.

i've been there a few times to watch them work...last time i was there was a year ago. they were pretty much on the spot light for all the events that happened out there previously.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
DFW is the 3rd busiest in the world, only behind ATL and ORD. Add to that DAL, ADS and NAVY Ft Worth and Id say D10 has no problems keeping busy, haha.

Deconstrukt

Newcomer
May 25, 2011
Anyone going to Dallas Tracon anytime soon? I live in arlington, and was just graciously redirect from ZHU to D10. Want to hang out? PM so we can chat about our new jobs as tin pushers.

UTAMAV
You at D10 now? I have a bid in right now. I know they are picking up a few CPCs, but no military or off the street hires or even CPCs with less than ATC 10 experience.

BrownGravy

Newcomer
Nov 6, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm at D10 now. I was one of the handful of off the street hires that came in '08-'09. It took about 3yrs, but I certified. D10 stopped bringing in off the street, CTI's, and VRA's in early 2010 because it was taking too long for us to certify. I'm not sure if that's just a D10 thing or true for all of the busy terminal facilities. They just had an bid for 14 controllers open, i'm assuming that's the bid Deconstrukt put in for. You definitely don't have to come from a level 10 to get here. We have people here from Addison Tower and Waco who i'm sure are no higher than level 6 facilities. Right now training is running very slow. A 2-month wait for class once you get here for your first of four functions and up to a 3-month avg wait between functions. Do the math and that about a year just waiting for class. Things go a little quicker for some, but its rare. I'm not sure how many people we have in training right now, but I would guess its somewhere near 40 with about 60 cpc's.