Dallas TRACON - D10

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
Our current bid had 120 applicants with 94 making the referral list. We are still waiting for the ERR list, but my understanding is that there are approximately 40 on it. Competition is high to get to D10, but we are worth it.
I don't doubt that it's a great place to be, I just can't understand why there's such a staffing issue when 120 people put in on a bid. I realize it's not your doing, and more emblematic of poor FAA planning... I'm just surprised a highly desired 12 has this issue. Of the 94, do you know how many they're looking to pick up ?

C-Dub

Rookie
Apr 29, 2014
Houston, TX
I don't doubt that it's a great place to be, I just can't understand why there's such a staffing issue when 120 people put in on a bid. I realize it's not your doing, and more emblematic of poor FAA planning... I'm just surprised a highly desired 12 has this issue. Of the 94, do you know how many they're looking to pick up ?
Many of those applications could be training failures from other facilities (yep, believe it or not). Or, as mentioned, people from lower level facilities looking for the raise. A busy powerhouse will want to carefully select people who they are confident in being succesful - even with a staffing crisis. They need people with the best chance of checking out to alleviate the staffing issues - not waste their time.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
We have he same issues right now... Facilities can't account for retirements based on projections. There must be an official date for the district to authorize another body. Seems like a lot of our retirements are spur of the moment and ERRs can't keep up. I'm sure that's part of their manning problem

Scott Montroy

Newcomer
May 15, 2014
Dallas
airkiwi, what C-Dub and Heatles said. Just because 120 people bid, that doesn't mean that they are all ready to be at one of the busiest facilities in the world. FYI, we finally got the ERR list and it has 65 people on it. We don't have a problem with staffing because of people not wanting to be here or not bidding. Our problem is because we cannot certify people as fast as our attrition rate. For the last 5 years, we lost 17.4 bodies per year on average. That includes retirements, promotions, training failures, loss of medical, etc.

We have to pick up people from higher level facilities just to increase the chance of success and try to stem the bleeding. There is no guarantee that they will make it and a lower level won't, but the chances are definitely higher.

We need to pick up approximately 6 per quarter just to break even and slowly increase staffing. I am assuming that HR will let up pick around 12, but we are pushing for much more. We will see what happens. As was mentioned, we cannot replace a retirement until they are already gone or have a mandatory retire date. It takes up to two years just to get a body in the door and then another 18 months to certify if they make it and if they are good. The people that struggle, but still make it can take up to 3 or 4 years to certify. As you can see, those numbers just don't work. That is why we have bid fewer CPCs every year for the last 8 years and have lost about 35 CPCs in that time.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
airkiwi, what C-Dub and Heatles said. Just because 120 people bid, that doesn't mean that they are all ready to be at one of the busiest facilities in the world. FYI, we finally got the ERR list and it has 65 people on it. We don't have a problem with staffing because of people not wanting to be here or not bidding. Our problem is because we cannot certify people as fast as our attrition rate. For the last 5 years, we lost 17.4 bodies per year on average. That includes retirements, promotions, training failures, loss of medical, etc.

We have to pick up people from higher level facilities just to increase the chance of success and try to stem the bleeding. There is no guarantee that they will make it and a lower level won't, but the chances are definitely higher.

We need to pick up approximately 6 per quarter just to break even and slowly increase staffing. I am assuming that HR will let up pick around 12, but we are pushing for much more. We will see what happens. As was mentioned, we cannot replace a retirement until they are already gone or have a mandatory retire date. It takes up to two years just to get a body in the door and then another 18 months to certify if they make it and if they are good. The people that struggle, but still make it can take up to 3 or 4 years to certify. As you can see, those numbers just don't work. That is why we have bid fewer CPCs every year for the last 8 years and have lost about 35 CPCs in that time.
Your situation and ours are very similar. You guys are getting one of our best, when Marshall transfers over in September. Our loss will be your gain!

Scott Montroy

Newcomer
May 15, 2014
Dallas
Jax,

Yeah, we are definitely looking forward to his arrival. We were expecting him in early June, but of course, ESA HR screwed up the paperwork and told him September. My ATM (acting) is a good guy and didn't want to create any hardship for Marshall so we let the September date stand instead of pushing it and possibly making problems for him. It is probably for the best, because we are implementing OAPM in September. Due to that, we are having a full training moratorium from August to October. He would have been bored sitting around on Flight Data all that time.

We just completed a full Training Order rewrite, so Marshall will be the first transfer to experience it and test it for us. I look forward to seeing how it works for him. We turned a 165 page document into a 60 page document, reduced the number of required classroom and ETG scenarios, added a new super-fast track for Level 12 Tracon CPC-ITs, and the ability to "test out" of up to 1/3 of ETG for each function if the individual is doing well.

Tell Marshall we can't wait for him to arrive.

Scott Montroy
D10 FacRep
john.montroy@natca.net
Texas3.jpg

Scott Montroy

Newcomer
May 15, 2014
Dallas
Andy (our acting ATM) submitted 23 names to HR on Tuesday. Now we just have to do the waiting game to see how many we can pick up or if we have to ask for more. Who knows how long it will take HR - you know how that goes. We are keeping the list open and planning to do another round of picks from it. On the initial picks, nobody under a level 9 was picked. 45 of the 135+ names were at level 9s or above. Anyone interested should submit an ERR to HR and send a copy directly to our ATM (or myself) in order to be considered on the next round, since we probably won't ask for a new list to be pulled.

Scott Montroy
D10 FacRep
john.montroy@natca.net
Texas3.jpg

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Jax,

Yeah, we are definitely looking forward to his arrival. We were expecting him in early June, but of course, ESA HR screwed up the paperwork and told him September. My ATM (acting) is a good guy and didn't want to create any hardship for Marshall so we let the September date stand instead of pushing it and possibly making problems for him. It is probably for the best, because we are implementing OAPM in September. Due to that, we are having a full training moratorium from August to October. He would have been bored sitting around on Flight Data all that time.

We just completed a full Training Order rewrite, so Marshall will be the first transfer to experience it and test it for us. I look forward to seeing how it works for him. We turned a 165 page document into a 60 page document, reduced the number of required classroom and ETG scenarios, added a new super-fast track for Level 12 Tracon CPC-ITs, and the ability to "test out" of up to 1/3 of ETG for each function if the individual is doing well.

Tell Marshall we can't wait for him to arrive.

Scott Montroy
D10 FacRep
john.montroy@natca.net
View attachment 1803
You couldn't have asked for a better "guiney pig" to test the new training. Marshall is one of only 4 people in the history of the EWR sector to have come OTS with 0 experience straight into N90-EWR and make CPC. He's a natural, and a pretty cool guy to work with.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
Any news on the new ERR list and when it may be pulled? Just want to make sure my paperwork is in and good to go.

Scott Montroy

Newcomer
May 15, 2014
Dallas
Last week, D10 was informed that we will be getting some number of controllers from the "Previous experience" bid. It started out at 35, then 32, then 31, now 15. So, who knows how many it will really be. We are having a telcon tomorrow about it to get more information. We are being told that only those with radar experience are eligible for D10.

In addition, the 19 names we submitted (previous post) are still sitting on a desk waiting for approval signature before going to HR so that they can send out TOLs. Having meetings about the delay on that too.

Scott Montroy
D10 FacRep
john.montroy@natca.net

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Correct me if I'm wrong but D10 is not "Dallas TRACON"... It's "Regional TRACON"... Or is Regional just the call sign used for frequency? Curious...

Bear-Claw

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2015
Last week, D10 was informed that we will be getting some number of controllers from the "Previous experience" bid. It started out at 35, then 32, then 31, now 15. So, who knows how many it will really be. We are having a telcon tomorrow about it to get more information. We are being told that only those with radar experience are eligible for D10.

In addition, the 19 names we submitted (previous post) are still sitting on a desk waiting for approval signature before going to HR so that they can send out TOLs. Having meetings about the delay on that too.

Scott Montroy
D10 FacRep
john.montroy@natca.net
Sign me up boss!