Daytona Beach Tower/TRACON - DAB

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Everyone in FL knows to steer clear. The majority of your traffic is foreign speaking student pilots. With the language barrier, you'll work what feels like 12 traffic for 9 money. They are just transitioning off mandatory 6 day work weeks. If they ever get to the point where they're able to release someone you'd be competing with a vast amount of your co-workers who also want out.
We all get into ATC for different reasons, if your dream is foreign speaking student pilots and continually catching readback errors, policing wrong turns, missed instructions, runway incursions etc, this could be the place for you. It's the Lord's work and somebody needs to do it.
On the bright side, outside of work, solid beaches, good schools, cheap cost of living, short ride to amusement parks, etc.

Last edited:

H.E.man

Newcomer
Apr 17, 2015
Ohio
Ok thanks for the info. I've done student pilots, foreign included so I get the frustration but not on the level of DAB traffic. Are you at DAB now? PM me if you don't mind.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Hope you spool up quick. That's going to be a gigantic change in traffic. Both volume and complexity.
If you've got the right skill-set it'll be doable, but don't expect it to be easy.

H.E.man

Newcomer
Apr 17, 2015
Ohio
Yeah I know it's going to be quite an adjustment and willing to do the work. Confident in my abilities though. MFD is my first TRACON but not Tower. I was at SLN for 3 years before getting picked up with the FAA. Was active Air Force before that.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Yeah I know it's going to be quite an adjustment and willing to do the work. Confident in my abilities though. MFD is my first TRACON but not Tower. I was at SLN for 3 years before getting picked up with the FAA. Was active Air Force before that.
I used to always tell FDX "fly heading 115, when able direct Salina" working an up/down 640 miles NW of Salina. Back in their /W 727 days.