DEAR FAA HR

Semper Fly

Aug 25, 2014
The way it stands right now, if you get hired by a facility your current facility can't give you a release date more than 2 years away. I think they can go up to 3 in certain circumstances but I'm not sure what those would be.
So if you ask for ANY location a reasonable level above your current facility, you are 100% guaranteed to get it within that deadline? (lets say 3 years) or is it common they just deny it?

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
Obviously you have to get picked first, but I believe you are supposed to be given priority after 7 years at the same facility and some sort of super super double priority after 15 years. Thereven isn't however a set in stone minimum.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
So if you ask for ANY location a reasonable level above your current facility, you are 100% guaranteed to get it within that deadline? (lets say 3 years) or is it common they just deny it?
No, they have to have a need and want you. You can't just tell the FAA I'm going here whether you like it or not.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
Semi on topic... Say you want to go back to your home town, and it is a highly sought after location..in your mind it's the only place you are willing to put transfer paperwork in for.

If you make CPC at a facility and put in a request to transfer to an over capacity facility 2 or 3 levels higher, how long would you have to wait to get there? Is there a mandatory transfer time after so many years of waiting regardless of staffing?
The higher facility has to accept you though from my understanding regardless of release date

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
The higher facility has to accept you though from my understanding regardless of release date
They're supposed to not take your release date into account, however, some facilities will call and find out its a two year date and say thanks but no thanks... they're not supposed to do that but they are willing to settle for their second choice that can go in 6 months vs their number 1 choice that has a two year date.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
They're supposed to not take your release date into account, however, some facilities will call and find out its a two year date and say thanks but no thanks... they're not supposed to do that but they are willing to settle for their second choice that can go in 6 months vs their number 1 choice that has a two year date.
how apt are the level 11-12 to pull from 6/7s? All I've seen is negative responses, that basically unless your at a 9/10 you can forget it

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Semi on topic... Say you want to go back to your home town, and it is a highly sought after location..in your mind it's the only place you are willing to put transfer paperwork in for.

If you make CPC at a facility and put in a request to transfer to an over capacity facility 2 or 3 levels higher, how long would you have to wait to get there? Is there a mandatory transfer time after so many years of waiting regardless of staffing?
An over capacity facility will never take you no matter how badly you want to go. Over capacity facilities don't select more people until their current employees retire or transfer out. I am unaware if your ERR paperwork would expire but if they aren't hiring, they aren't hiring.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Depends on the facility. They are probably more likely to take someone from a lower level facility in their system and region than from far away... Also if they have successfully taken other people from that facility. At D21 we take people from LAN, GRR, AZO, MBS all the time

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
how apt are the level 11-12 to pull from 6/7s? All I've seen is negative responses, that basically unless your at a 9/10 you can forget it
A lot of them require you to have 8 or above radar experience, and some give a you a sim problem to screen even farther.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Centers will take anybody of any level of experience, because their training programs take forever. Terminal facilities at that level are choosier because their training programs move too fast to spend more than a minute or two on the basics.

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
It can happen, but most facilities in that range wont. It depends on how many ERR's the facility has along with washout rates etc. Basically, a highly desirable location that gives you an honest shot at a checkout, probably not going to happen from a 6/7. Not so desirable location with horrible working conditions that washes out 1 out of 100, "Hey look, grist for the mill, welcome aboard!"

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
It can happen, but most facilities in that range wont. It depends on how many ERR's the facility has along with washout rates etc. Basically, a highly desirable location that gives you an honest shot at a checkout, probably not going to happen from a 6/7. Not so desirable location with horrible working conditions that washes out 1 out of 100, "Hey look, grist for the mill, welcome aboard!"
So for an honest shot it would be better to go from a 7 up/down to a 9/10 Tower or TRACON?

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
"I work for the TSA and get paid to touch people. I'm pretty disappointed they don't let us do full cavity searches though."

Welcome aboard. When I said you'll wash, what I should have said is you'll make a fine traffic-shy supe one day. My mistake.
He's going to tell you now about how much traffic he's worked and awesome he is. Maybe he's just a Google bot with pre canned responses.

Reactions: phillyman2633

jcpilot

May 19, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The way it stands right now, if you get hired by a facility your current facility can't give you a release date more than 2 years away. I think they can go up to 3 in certain circumstances but I'm not sure what those would be.
I was given an October 2016 release date back in November 2013. Then a few months ago, my ops manager came up to me and said that my date was being moved up to September of this year, and that this directive had come from outside the region. This happened during a time when we were bringing people up on 1 year TDY bids to help augment our staffing. So I would imagine that there has been some kind of policy change if we're burning money on TDY's and yet they were told to push up the release of a CPC/OJTI.

I also have a friend here who was given a 3 year release date, but ended up getting it moved up by nearly a year as well.

morajor13

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2015
He's going to tell you now about how much traffic he's worked and awesome he is. Maybe he's just a Google bot with pre canned responses.
Lol don't ever acuse me of stirring the pot. I'm good dude, I've got a job that I love, I'm about to have a job that i love more, if I can make my haters jealous by getting a level 12 fac, then hey that'd be a bonus. Got a family that I love, car that I love - it must suck for you two to spend all day and night on here thinking of ways to slam people. I feel bad for you.

MJ0730

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
pointsixtyfive.com
I was given an October 2016 release date back in November 2013. Then a few months ago, my ops manager came up to me and said that my date was being moved up to September of this year, and that this directive had come from outside the region. This happened during a time when we were bringing people up on 1 year TDY bids to help augment our staffing. So I would imagine that there has been some kind of policy change if we're burning money on TDY's and yet they were told to push up the release of a CPC/OJTI.

I also have a friend here who was given a 3 year release date, but ended up getting it moved up by nearly a year as well.
My ATM told me that, in this region at least, they were told they couldn't go more than two years out with release dates. They are supposed to justify waits that long as it is, but everybody now just says for staffing.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
My ATM told me that, in this region at least, they were told they couldn't go more than two years out with release dates. They are supposed to justify waits that long as it is, but everybody now just says for staffing.
Your ATM is required to justify any release date further than 90 days out