Deciding on a Facility - S56 or D10

sniper30

Newcomer
Jan 12, 2015
I recently got told I have two options to choose from for my facilities. I was wondering if anybody knew what the work environment is like at DFW TRACON and Salt Lake City TRACON? Also if anybody could tell me what the traffic is like at both of these facilities. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

rocketappliance

Jun 4, 2015
I haven't been to S56, but I've visited D10 before. They are really understaffed and on 6-day work weeks but everyone I spoke to was very welcoming and friendly. I heard the average CPC time is around 2-2.5 yrs (from CPC-ITs coming from Lvl 8+ w/ radar), obviously could be longer or shorter depending on the trainee's skill.

Traffic was well...non-stop, haha. There are a ton of airports in the DFW area & are close together so there were planes everywhere. Most aircraft seemed to be on SIDs/STARs until some spring thunderstorms started popping up and everyone was getting vectored around (and planes kept arriving/departing so it got crazy really quickly). You'd quickly find out if you're able to handle the volume/complexity of the traffic or not, that's for sure (vs a lower level facility that has sporadic traffic).

DFW area is great...ton of stuff to do and cheap living.

How soon do you have to decide? Try visiting the facilities if you're able.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
SLC is a 10, d01 is a 12.

Both good facilities, good environment. The main difference is location.

SLC is a bit more reserved because of its mormon population, although if you're a family man its a great place to raise kids and stuff.

Dallas is dallas.

Bother serve their main respective airports, air carriers mostly with a few satellite airports and GA. Both with relatively low cost of living albeit slc would be cheaper.

Probably easier and quicker to get certified at SLC because it's a 10.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
SLC is a 10, d10 is a 12.

Both good facilities, good environment. The main difference is location.

SLC is a bit more reserved because of its mormon population, although if you're a family man its a great place to raise kids and stuff.

Denver is denver, awesome city, higher cost of living than slc. But young and single I'd take Denver over SLC.

Bother serve their main respective airports, air carriers mostly with a few satellite airports and GA.

Probably easier and quicker to get certified at SLC because it's a 10.
D10 not D01.

SnoopDog

Jun 11, 2012
Complete bullshit that they will take newly hired FAA employees and send them to a 10-12... I don't care what your non FAA experience is. There are plenty of controllers already in this agency trying to ERR to these facilities. HR is the worst.

Reactions: phillyman2633

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I assure you that a lot of those facilities are understaffed enough where sending in a few new hired VRA's won't stop anyone from transferring to them.

DaOsprey

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2014
I assure you that a lot of those facilities are understaffed enough where sending in a few new hired VRA's won't stop anyone from transferring to them.

Long as I stay away from CA and am not the poor bastard that gets Napa, I could go anywhere.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I'd take D10. It's a 12 with a good ratio between the salary and cost of living. Yes, you could wash out, but you could also do that at S56. Worst comes to worst, NEST will give you another chance out of a 12 tracon. If you decide that you'd like to try a center, there's one nearby. If you want to get out of Dallas completely, you'll have a good resume.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
I've heard nothing but bad things about S56. Bad work environment, long time on position, 20 minute breaks. My new FLM came from there and immediately tried making this facility into S56, but the union quickly ended that. I would be all over D10.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
Its not getting into the understaffed level 12 that is hard, it's getting out of your understaffed/ minimum staffed facility to get there, that's the problem. The FAA shouldn't send anyone to a facility that has an outstanding ERR list. They should work in reverse and send people to the loosing facility so the controller can move up.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Its not getting into the understaffed level 12 that is hard, it's getting out of your understaffed/ minimum staffed facility to get there, that's the problem. The FAA shouldn't send anyone to a facility that has an outstanding ERR list. They should work in reverse and send people to the loosing facility so the controller can move up.

It's not like they're sending waves of OTS new hires. The OTS new hires will be going to those lower level facilities. And even the VRA's getting offered the level 10+'s are only a minority. Most of the VRA's are being offered in the 7 and below range. Some of these prior experienced people have been controlling longer than some of those in the lower level facilities trying to move up.

morajor13

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2015
Why would he create an account in 2014 anticipating his requested ban on a bid in 2015 that was completely unknown at the time?
I have no idea. But it's him. Back when he was giving out all the bogus info from his inside source, he emailed me from an email account with daosprey in it. So it was pretty easy to connect the dots.