Dekalb-Peachtree - PDK

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
Right now I believe that are overstaffed by 2 people or so. The facility is nice. It's the 2nd busiest tower in GA. It's not a good gateway if your plans are to get to ATL though.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
They just don't tend to send them to ATL like they used to. I don't recall the actual stats, but the transfer to checkout ratio is not good. It's not to say you CAN'T transfer from PDK to ATL, but it's not a natural progression like it was intended to be.

brockdevon

Newcomer
Jan 14, 2012
Right now I believe that are overstaffed by 2 people or so. The facility is nice. It's the 2nd busiest tower in GA. It's not a good gateway if your plans are to get to ATL though.
Is this tower still overstaffed? How do you find this out?

blakeh

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2009
SLN
Lol. So......what's the busiest in Georgia??????

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
I know this is an older thread, but could any controllers at PDK provide insight into staffing levels currently? I'm from Atlanta, and see this is a level 7 facility (so there's a possibility it could show up on the academy list). TOL for terminal.

abeachedmale

Newcomer
Mar 4, 2017
I know this is an older thread, but could any controllers at PDK provide insight into staffing levels currently? I'm from Atlanta, and see this is a level 7 facility (so there's a possibility it could show up on the academy list). TOL for terminal.
I live out in California both my room mates are ATC at the oakland en route center, being that im trying to get in as well i talk to them about it alot... long story short i actually know a few guys that are from ATL fighting hard to go back, considering most people would love to be there its tough. The only real way you can hope to have a chance at getting a desirable location like ATL would be to rock the academy (the top grads of the class get first dibs on the available locations list, last in class gets what ever is left) My roommate had an OTC hire get 1st in class and actually did get ATL as i recall where as my roommate only had a couple options because he graduated with a lower score, and was like 10 out of 13 that passed. I know this wasn't directly related to your post, i just wanted to give insight from my experience as an outsider as well. so kill the academy get priority in choosing and hope there is a spot, good luck :) ...im still waiting on a class date

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
I live out in California both my room mates are ATC at the oakland en route center, being that im trying to get in as well i talk to them about it alot... long story short i actually know a few guys that are from ATL fighting hard to go back, considering most people would love to be there its tough. The only real way you can hope to have a chance at getting a desirable location like ATL would be to rock the academy (the top grads of the class get first dibs on the available locations list, last in class gets what ever is left) My roommate had an OTC hire get 1st in class and actually did get ATL as i recall where as my roommate only had a couple options because he graduated with a lower score, and was like 10 out of 13 that passed. I know this wasn't directly related to your post, i just wanted to give insight from my experience as an outsider as well. so kill the academy get priority in choosing and hope there is a spot, good luck :) ...im still waiting on a class date
I know you're new, but ATL means Atlanta Hartsfield airport, which is not offered to academy grads regardless of how you score. If you meant PDK when you said ATL, that is accurate.

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008
I know you're new, but ATL means Atlanta Hartsfield airport, which is not offered to academy grads regardless of how you score. If you meant PDK when you said ATL, that is accurate.
Probably referring to ZTL seeming his roommates are Oakland center

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008
And as an Atl-ien , it's Hartsfield-JACKSON!!!!! ��

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Even if I did well there's no guarantee PDK would be on the list. Although on point65 a Terminal academy grad was guaranteed SAT due to a hardship (his spouse worked there). Maybe I can try requesting a hardship and ask for PDK since I do actually take care of a disabled parent. Probably won't work though since I'm not "connected".

cgaub

Jan 23, 2017
Indiana
In the old days of the academy didn't they at least take your preferences into account? That would be nice haha, at least give us a better shot to try to find one we will be happy with rather than getting us a rando facility, checking out and then applying for a transfer... seems like it would save the FAA some money too so they don't have to train and retrain as often... just a thought, not that it actually makes a difference lol