Dekalb-Peachtree - PDK

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
In the old days of the academy didn't they at least take your preferences into account? That would be nice haha, at least give us a better shot to try to find one we will be happy with rather than getting us a rando facility, checking out and then applying for a transfer... seems like it would save the FAA some money too so they don't have to train and retrain as often... just a thought, not that it actually makes a difference lol
When I first joined Stuckmic back in 2009 that's how it was. That maybe the reason everything changed. If you let applicants choose, how many are honestly going to choose that level 4 tower in the middle of nowhere? The lower-level towers end up short-staffed.

cgaub

Jan 23, 2017
Indiana
Maybe! if they are from there lol. But yeah, I see what you mean... still like top 3 might be nice :( haha

When I first joined Stuckmic back in 2009 that's how it was. That maybe the reason everything changed. If you let applicants choose, how many are honestly going to choose that level 4 tower in the middle of nowhere? The lower-level towers end up short-staffed.

lookitsroadie

Trusted Member
May 30, 2012
www.last.fm
Even if I did well there's no guarantee PDK would be on the list. Although on point65 a Terminal academy grad was guaranteed SAT due to a hardship (his spouse worked there). Maybe I can try requesting a hardship and ask for PDK since I do actually take care of a disabled parent. Probably won't work though since I'm not "connected".
That parents/person would need to be a dependent of yours. You do what you think your career can handle.

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008
Even if I did well there's no guarantee PDK would be on the list. Although on point65 a Terminal academy grad was guaranteed SAT due to a hardship (his spouse worked there). Maybe I can try requesting a hardship and ask for PDK since I do actually take care of a disabled parent. Probably won't work though since I'm not "connected".
Or see if there are and single controllers in PDK that will marry you until you graduate, then get that mysterious divorce. L....

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008
I say close the slowest 10% of facilities and give those employees paid moves to high level facilities. Not only do you reallocate your staffing to more appropriate levels of traffic, you reduce the staffing shortages at the mid level facilities thus allowing people to move to 10s and higher and reduce their overtime budget.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Anyone have any updated stats on pdk's staffing? I saw they had 2 people picked up on this most recent NCEPT panel with one possible retirement? Looks like they might need about 3 people to hit their CPC goal. I'd love to hear from someone who works there currently. Took a tour of ZTL and they advised they really needed help (but the Numbers show they have healthy staffing right now).

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
They only had 1 selected this past NCEPT panel. They need 2 people to hit 100% projected staffing. Once prior experience hiring resumes in October, the odds of PDK being high enough on the list to be on an academy grad list are incredibly small.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
Hmmm on the. 65 site they show two committed outbound's and one possible retirement. Maybe that other person is resigning, or I'm just not reading the info correctly.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
You're not looking at the complete picture, 2 outbounds and 1 retiree don't equal 3 potential spots. Every number plays a role, CPC Target, current CPC, total trainees, trainee success rate, etc. If all you're looking for is how many "slots" they have available, the only number that matters to you is the column that reads Possible Gains to Target (Calculation) aka gains needed to reach 100% projected.