Demographics and hiring

LimaRomeo

Jun 20, 2011
Do demographics play any role in hiring? Does not being a white male give you a better chance or getting picked up on any given panel?

tjc19999

Aug 8, 2010
Absolutely not. The panel doesn't even see if you are male or female. Right now all they see is qualified or well qualified and which state you live and apply. That's about it.

GeorgeM

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2008
CO
But HR refers applicants to the panel, and Congress has mandated that the FAA increase diversity in the controller workforce, and report back with statistics. Read into that what you will.

sailor_pianist

Trusted Member
Jan 10, 2010
Nowhere
But HR refers applicants to the panel, and Congress has mandated that the FAA increase diversity in the controller workforce, and report back with statistics. Read into that what you will.

That's interesting George. I didn't know that. When is the FAA suppose to start implementing these diversity efforts?

jaxpilot

Jun 12, 2009
Miami, FL
I know in my OTS Enroute class that finished on Nov 9, everyone was a white male except for one Hispanic male. In the class behind us, everyone was a white male except one Asian male.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Sigh. Whatever, cream rises to the top. I should sue the NBA for lack of diversity

Skills>color/creed/sex

Jettj45

Sep 30, 2009
I would be surprised if the FAA were concerned about the lack of an old, old wooden ship, but nice try.

SCOPED

Senior Analyst
Nov 21, 2010
Gods Country, Alaska
Where your home address is can play a big part in the hiring process. If you live in Alaska like me it's hard to get a spot in Tennessee because the FAA wants to place people in at least a similar region so there is less tranferring.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Where your home address is can play a big part in the hiring process. If you live in Alaska like me it's hard to get a spot in Tennessee because the FAA wants to place people in at least a similar region so there is less tranferring.
I call bs. This is coming from an Ohioan who has been in Mississippi for the last 3 years lol.

Whether it's true or not is another story. Take my bitterness with a grain of salt haha

T

TBarry253

I call bs. This is coming from an Ohioan who has been in Mississippi for the last 3 years lol.

Whether it's true or not is another story. Take my bitterness with a grain of salt haha
Haha! Same here. From Pennsylvania but still slated for Louisiana...

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
Eastcoast to CA........and I could list 15 more examples......