DENIED FOR ILLEGAL DRUG USE

SteveThePirate9

Newcomer
Apr 12, 2018
I just received an email from medical today stating that I was denied for illegal drug use. I disclosed on my security questionnaire that I smoked marijuana on only a few occasions in my lifetime, the most recent being in July of 2016. Other than that, I have used no other illegal substances. In the email I was told I have 15 days to submit an appeal with documentation to attempt to reverse their decision. Is there anybody else in this situation right now or has been? What can I do to help my appeal? What documents should I provide?

Arthurfrancis2

Jan 11, 2017
I just received an email from medical today stating that I was denied for illegal drug use. I disclosed on my security questionnaire that I smoked marijuana on only a few occasions in my lifetime, the most recent being in July of 2016. Other than that, I have used no other illegal substances. In the email I was told I have 15 days to submit an appeal with documentation to attempt to reverse their decision. Is there anybody else in this situation right now or has been? What can I do to help my appeal? What documents should I provide?
Not to be rude but why would you admit to that? I hope you are able to dispute this bud Goodluck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

SteveThePirate9

Newcomer
Apr 12, 2018
I would appreciate helpful replies only. I disclosed the information because I was advised by an ATC friend that honesty was the best policy and to tell them everything.

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
I would appreciate helpful replies only. I disclosed the information because I was advised by an ATC friend that honesty was the best policy and to tell them everything.
did he specify what to be honest about beyond “everything” I think your friend sorta messed you up on this one. He meant be honest about everything that could show up on your background check or medical, I bet...

RobertB

Senior Analyst
Aug 18, 2008
I’m not a lawyer, but you could say you did it in a state that had legalized marijuana and since it took place well outside any employment with the federal government it shouldn’t be held against you in the application process. Also, you could offer to pay for and submit to a drug test to prove your current medical status.

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
It's the 2016 that kills ya. If it was 10 years ago nbd, but less than 2....
This. It's the recency they go by. Almost all Federal agencies as well as LEO will grant waivers if it was greater than 5 - 10 years since the last time. My question is, and it may be rhetorical, but if you haven't used since 2016, why on Earth would you admit to it if you wouldn't pop positive on your drug screening? It's not like they polygraph or voice stress analyze you. I guess I always think back to what my military recruiter told me "They don't know what they can't prove". I guess that seems shady, but if everyone admitted to every little detail about their past, half the people wouldn't have jobs and the military would seriously be hurting lol.

And on another note, claiming you smoked in a state where weed is legal does not matter for federal employment since it is still illegal to smoke weed on a federal level. This is a catch that all would be weed smokers in the military and DoD despise but it's still the law. Good luck with your appeal though.

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
I would claim that it was in a foreign country. had you traveled around that time. Wouldn't hurt to try BSing it at this point. Im sure at least 80% of applicants have smoked illegally in the past 10 years. Its a stupid question to ask if you ask me.

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Willfully admitting to this (assuming it is not connected to anything traceable like an arrest) might be the worst advice I've ever heard in my life. Call me crazy, but your "friend" probably isn't your friend or just loves a cruel practical joke.. I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to admit to that on a government background check. As far as advice goes, you have no chance in this career field, start planning on the next one.

Reactions: Jax

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
Willfully admitting to this (assuming it is not connected to anything traceable like an arrest) might be the worst advice I've ever heard in my life. Call me crazy, but your "friend" probably isn't your friend or just loves a cruel practical joke.. I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to admit to that on a government background check. As far as advice goes, you have no chance in this career field, start planning on the next one.
don't blame his friend tho... Everyone on here says be 100% honest about all medical history and all past runins with the law. That's what I would tell someone. Its up to the applicant to understand that no one means be honest about smoking a little pot if you never got in trouble for it. You have to be honest about anything that would show up on a background test. I don't like that people have to lie about it but think about all the people who join the military. One for the first questions a recruiter asks is if you've ever done drugs. I doubt the believe more than 10% of the nos they get lol.

molinmi

Apr 14, 2014
They don't care about you being honest, you only gave them a reason to "weed" you out :)