Denver Center - ZDV

Boomer22

Rookie
Oct 25, 2008
I'm an OTS that is headed for Denver Center, if everthing goes as planned :) I was just wondering what anyone had to say about it...

zabnut

Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
Re: Denver Center

Beautiful area, Beautiful town. I heard rumors it was a terrible place to work, but I would take that with a grain of salt. Make the best of it, hopefully by the time you start training some things will already be on the mends.

Boomer22

Rookie
Oct 25, 2008

They are right about the area. I grew up minutes from the center and still live close. I just wanted to know a little more about the facility itself

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA

Nonradar isn't too bad. It isn't like it is at the academy. An IFR aircraft isn't going to be randomly flying below the MVA unless they are arriving or departing a sattelite airport. As with any center, there are gonna be alot of people that say it is terrible. I love the center and work with a lot of fine individuals. There are a few that have an attitude problem but you will figure out who they are and how to avoid them. I have a few friends that work at Denver Center and love it there.

Boomer22

Rookie
Oct 25, 2008

I have an idea about the problems the mountains can cause... if I make it through OKC. I was lucky enough to get my first Geo choice and im really looking forward to it.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008

DEN center is one of the better centers to work and has a HIGH morale. A good friend of mine's dad is the facility mgr ( will not go into more) and you will love your job but will work your ass off to get certified. Will take about 2.25 yrs... Just work hard and you will like it.

A

Adam

I've got a buddy at Denver ARTCC that got hired in August of '06 or somewhere within a month of there...went to the academy for 3 months, was on baby leave for 2 months, and got checked out in August of '08....so if you exclude the academy and the baby leave, it took him 19 months....but that's not too common.

Boomer22

Rookie
Oct 25, 2008

I kinda thought it would be a little bit of a wait. I have no idea how the trainee process works but if anything I do can help it along I have no problem busting ass to get certified

soonerkid

Rookie
Sep 11, 2008
Middle of Nowhere

youll make it at the academy man, thats not something you should worry about...the pass rate is in the 90%. as for denver center...its the only center i would ever consider working at. have fun getting used to the altitude lol.

ddogg011

Newcomer
Jul 29, 2008

The training department at Denver Center is lacking. The top of the training dept has little interest in making the environment better. They are backed up with transitioning to ERAM and have hired more trainees then they can handle. If you walked in right now, expect to go without training for a minimum of a year, likely longer. Once you get to training on the floor, it is a good place to work

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert

Just out of curiosity, what do you do while you wait for training? Say for example someone walked in today...

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008

Just out of curiosity, what do you do while you wait for training? Say for example someone walked in today...
Study lots of airspace :diggin:... By the time you get instructed to do so, you could probably draw the map better than Jeppessen.

ddogg011

Newcomer
Jul 29, 2008

It doesn't take long to really do the map study and bookwork. Usually a day a week or so is spent refreshing yourself on what you already know. The rest is divided up into whatever you want. Read books, cards, workout, play Nintendo DS, and occasionally plug in and observe the controllers. The training dept knows what's going on but they turn a blind eye to it. They would have to or the trainees would go insane. They are in the process of trying to streamline training for Stage 3 (D-Side training) which will cut the delay time in half. That will help a lot but either way there will be significant waiting for someone walking in today.

photostarr

Aug 30, 2008

A professor of mine who works there suspects that all the training delays will be over and back on a normal track around late March or April next year. The certified controllers have to be checked out on the new ERAM first, so they can start training later.

ddogg011

Newcomer
Jul 29, 2008

A professor of mine who works there suspects that all the training delays will be over and back on a normal track around late March or April next year. The certified controllers have to be checked out on the new ERAM first, so they can start training later.
ERAM training will not be complete until July at the earliest. The real problem is that ZDV keeps hiring trainees without having anywhere to put them. When training gets moving in July (hopefully) there will be a line of 70ish people waiting to get through. It will get better but not for quite a while.

Boomer22

Rookie
Oct 25, 2008

ERAM training will not be complete until July at the earliest. The real problem is that ZDV keeps hiring trainees without having anywhere to put them. When training gets moving in July (hopefully) there will be a line of 70ish people waiting to get through. It will get better but not for quite a while.

So your saying it might take a while :)

motoman678

Newcomer
Feb 3, 2009

I just found out that there is a hiring freeze at the Salt Lake Center, and my second choice is Denver Center!!! i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a phone number to whoever does the hiring there ir even the HUB manager so i can contact them! Any help is much appreciated!!!