Denver Center - ZDV

JamesZDV

Newcomer
Mar 19, 2009
Hey Dave... I got picked up by ZDV also and am going to the academy August 20th (just got word two days ago)... I live in Denver and currently work at the Denver TRACON as a Remote Pilot. What date did you get to the Center?? I could probably help you with recommendations around Denver but I don't know specific places up in Longmont.

blakeh

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2009
SLN
Hey guys,

Not sure what everyones said, but im gonna throw some stuff out there. Im in the cti school in greeley. Which is about 25-30 min from the denver center. Bunch of my class mates have dads who work there. Our class recently went and visited the center and its really a nice place. The town, longmont, is nice. Its about 40 min North, maybe less, from Denver. Cant think what else you would want to know. Im heading back into the center on monday to plug in with a class mate . His Dad works there so it should be fun! If you think of any questions let me know I can find out when im there!!

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA
I know that the training program there is really backed up. I have two friends that are there and are still waiting to go to D-school after a year. Hear it is a nice place with great people though!

ppxatcs

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
Reno, NV
I hope they can get it figured out before I get there the first of next year. Either way I will make the best of it. I am sure they wouldn't keep hiring us if they didn't have a plan to get us certified.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
I hope they can get it figured out before I get there the first of next year. Either way I will make the best of it. I am sure they wouldn't keep hiring us if they didn't have a plan to get us certified.
Just look at it on the bright side, you will be out of your probationary period before starting D-side :)

PurdueAV8ER

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2009
Got a question for anyone who might know:

I'm hoping to get an offer for ZDV or any level 10-12 facility in the Denver area. Does anyone here have suggestions on who to talk to for hiring? The panels are coming up later this month.

I called a couple facilities in the area awhile back but the managers themselves aren't necessarily involved with the panels in OKC for their region.

I've been given a TOL for ZMA but have been gunning to live in Denver for years. PM me if it's confidential info, but I really appreciate any suggestions short of flying out to tour before getting an offer... pretty expensive on my budget. Thanks!

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Man I would love to live in South Florida. Not necessarily Miami, but I'd be willing to commute from Ft. Lauderdale.

Oh and to all you CTI/VRA guys that are being told no FOL until oct (that's the fiscal year 10 beginning), still be prepared to leave on quick notice. If a OTS guy drops out in Basics, they will fill that slot with a CTI/VRA guy for the Enroute/Tower portion. I got less than 2 week notice, and my daughter was born 8 days before I left for OKC.

DenverV

Newcomer
May 6, 2009
Denver
New to the Stuckmic boards. I am headed to ZDV. I start OKC on 8/20. we are looking at Firestone as a possible area. My family and I live about 30 mins south of downtown near APA so that drive would just be to long every day. anyone else on here headed to OKC on 8/20???

blakeh

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2009
SLN
Hey guys,

Did a little searching, but I couldnt find the contact info for DEN Center, zdv. Andyone know their phone number?

DairyCreamer

Apr 26, 2009
Elsewhere
New to the Stuckmic boards. I am headed to ZDV. I start OKC on 8/20. we are looking at Firestone as a possible area. My family and I live about 30 mins south of downtown near APA so that drive would just be to long every day. anyone else on here headed to OKC on 8/20???
I lived up and down the Front Range for 18+ years, mostly around Arapahoe and Quebec or up in Boulder while I was at CU. If I may be so bold as to offer an opinion.

I would sincerely try and live in Longmont near the center (17th and Hover Rd for the benefit of those who haven't been there) if you can. You will get annoyed with the commute being east of I-25. I certainly did, and I was commuting in to Longmont from right at SH-119 and I-25 for just a few weeks at one point. I have no idea what your budget is, of course, but, to me anyway, living close to work is a very nice thing (I live literally a mile away from ZAB and have a whopping 5 min commute).

I'd actually consider Niwot or Hygiene before Firestone, if only for the drive. Heck, even Berthoud is closer if you're looking for something of a town to live in but don't want to be in Longmont.

~Nate

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
I just got my acceptance to ZDV...any word on the progess of training out there? I know I'm a long ways out, but hopefully by the time I get there, all the kinks will be worked out.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
Does anyone know if there is a NATCA welcome packet for ZDV online like the one posted under ZHU's thread? It has a lot of great info.

photostarr

Aug 30, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a NATCA welcome packet for ZDV online like the one posted under ZHU's thread? It has a lot of great info.
ZDV has a website you can look at. I couldn't tell you if there's a NATCA welcome packet or not on there but the website has some different links you can check out.

otterstrom

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
of NATCA
i turned zdv down because i didnt want to work non-radar and had heard bad things about the facility. then again, what center do you hear good things about?

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
ZDV has a website you can look at. I couldn't tell you if there's a NATCA welcome packet or not on there but the website has some different links you can check out.
I've seen the training website but that's about all. Do you have a link?