Denver Center - ZDV

photostarr

Aug 30, 2008
i turned zdv down because i didnt want to work non-radar and had heard bad things about the facility. then again, what center do you hear good things about?
I hope you've got a decent job for a while, or more facilities offering you slots. I'd be concerned about getting a good offer like that for a while. Like you said, what center do you hear good things about? Personally, I think of it like this: There's a couple hundred people at a center and I'm SURE that a good handful of them are unhappy people simply because that's the kind of people they are. They'd find something to be unhappy about anywhere. Those people are the ones that usually make the most noise about a place too. It's more often that people assertively complain about something than people assertively praise something. It's the government, it's never going to be peaches and cream.

All this coming from an optimist. I always try looking on the brighter side of things. Plus I got selected for ZDV, so I'm more adament to look for the best of it.

blakeh

Trusted Member
Feb 8, 2009
SLN
I hope you've got a decent job for a while, or more facilities offering you slots. I'd be concerned about getting a good offer like that for a while. Like you said, what center do you hear good things about? Personally, I think of it like this: There's a couple hundred people at a center and I'm SURE that a good handful of them are unhappy people simply because that's the kind of people they are. They'd find something to be unhappy about anywhere. Those people are the ones that usually make the most noise about a place too. It's more often that people assertively complain about something than people assertively praise something. It's the government, it's never going to be peaches and cream.

All this coming from an optimist. I always try looking on the brighter side of things. Plus I got selected for ZDV, so I'm more adament to look for the best of it.
you got Otterstrom spot....ha ha ha ha

bradjackman

Trusted Member
May 7, 2009
Boise
Now I don't know how accurate this is, but I took a tour of Salt Lake Tower a couple weeks ago, and the tour guy who was some FAA management person said he was real good friends with the training director at ZDV. He said that in the past couple years they've had an 80% failure rate in trainees. He did say however, that this training director was brand new and was trying to shake things up so trainees wouldn't fail as much.

Just what I heard on the tour, take it for what it's worth.

ppxatcs

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
Reno, NV
I had a tour of ZDV this week. Everyone was really nice and it looked like a great place to work. I was told the few people who have washed out had other circumstances. I was assured if I am motivated I will reach CPC within three years. I was told there shouldn't be any major delays in my training schedule.

Matty13

Jun 16, 2008
Ive been in CO my whole life (Wheat Ridge area) and it saddens me to have to leave there, but contrary to some reports on here, it is a significant drive from the metro area. I will personally be looking in the Broomfield/Lafayette area to split the driving difference between work (north) and the rest of my life (south). My only major advice is to stay west of I-25 if you care about scenery whatsoever... once you're east of the interstate you may as well be in Kansas. Altough property does get significatly cheaper out there... That's my two cents... look forward to meeting all of you!
Good advice. West>East.

otterstrom

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
of NATCA
you got Otterstrom spot....ha ha ha ha
haha, nah. i turned down the offer years ago.

I hope you've got a decent job for a while, or more facilities offering you slots. I'd be concerned about getting a good offer like that for a while...
i was still at my CTI school at the time and back then CTI graduates didnt have to bid. we were all on a direct hire list where offers were sent automatically. i removed colorado from my preferences and lucked into something else nice the next time. these days i would not have turned it down.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
I had a tour of ZDV this week. Everyone was really nice and it looked like a great place to work. I was told the few people who have washed out had other circumstances. I was assured if I am motivated I will reach CPC within three years. I was told there shouldn't be any major delays in my training schedule.
FWIW, during/after my interview, I was taken for a very nice tour of the place. Just about everyone was smiling, heard a few laughing, everyone not on a scope at the time introduced themself to me as if I were their new boss. Really seemed like a nice place to work with good people.

I was actually told that they can check "good" people out in less than two years.

UNDATCer

Trusted Member
Apr 5, 2009
North Dakota
Hey Everyone,

Can anyone shed some light on the current staffing levels at ZDV? I'm really hoping to be picked up here this next selection panel and was curious if anyone had any insite on what the current staffing levels are or the current need for new controllers? Thanks so much!!

CVD

Rookie
Dec 13, 2008
I'm trying to get a tour at ZDV, anyone have any ideas? They wont return my calls. I'm flying out on Friday and I only have 5 days there.

bmb221

Rookie
Aug 20, 2008
So Cal
Just wondering how many people are on the FY10 waiting list for ZDV? I'm in that boat. I'm ready to go and I'm sure the rest of you are too.

CVD

Rookie
Dec 13, 2008
I just toured there and was told that of the 52 slots for 2010 all were spoken for. I'm not on that list but they took my name in case anything opens up.

bmb221

Rookie
Aug 20, 2008
So Cal
I'm one of the lucky 52. Good luck to you in your quest to be a controller. Dont rule out moving if atc is something you really want to do. I had my heart set on ZLA since it's within commuting distance, but it just wasn't in the cards for me. I have to sell my house and move from california, but its all good.
What was your impression of ZDV?

photostarr

Aug 30, 2008
I'm sitting in the same boat as RdRunner12. The 52 slots comment is correct. I've been told that by several different managers at the facility.

My impression of ZDV is good. I've monitored positions there a couple of times and generally everyone was pretty cool. I'm excited.

I will say that I am NOT looking forward to the training, or my senority either. Not looking forward to the training simply because centers take forever to check out at (not necessarily a big deal). But I'm not looking forward to my senority because a big wave of 90+ controllers just started training there... Am I wrong to think this is not a good thing for me? (haven't even hit OKC yet)

CVD

Rookie
Dec 13, 2008
Seems like a good bunch of people, but very crowded with trainees. When I went there were so many trainees that one of the supervisors had to go scout for a chair for me to sit in. I can't imagine there being 50 more people to train. It seemed like 3/4 of the consoles had 2 people sitting at them.

bmb221

Rookie
Aug 20, 2008
So Cal
I think all of us can count on the fact that when we reach CPC we wont have real weekends or holidays off for many, many years. I still think its worth it though. Besides there will be plenty more trainees coming in behind us. You have to start somewhere.