Denver Center - ZDV

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Training is not backed up at ZDV anymore. (could happen again when eram training comes back) I was under the impression when I arrived that I would have to wait a long time to get through training but that has not been the case. The bad news is non-radar is pass/fail again. You can look forward to a couple very stressful weeks of that. Good luck to you guys waiting for class dates. I am sure there are no more for FY2010. But hopefully first of FY2011.
Non-radar is pass-fail at the facility or OKC?

Thanks,

Michael

ppxatcs

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
Reno, NV
Non-radar is pass/fail at the facility. Sorry I can see now that it wasn't very clear. Although if you go to area 4 there is no low altitude sectors. Therefore you don't have to do non-radar.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
Training is not backed up at ZDV anymore.
I wouldn't say that's entirely true, it might be the case through stage 3 but there's a big slug of D-sides waiting for r-school and they let the ERAM training expire so when ERAM fires back off everyone will have to do the 3 day instead of just the 1, so the DYSIM will be all but down during that period (1 sector open I believe)
Rumor has it the R classes are booked through september and there are still a bunch of folks checking out on D sides from the last back up.

ppxatcs

Rookie
Feb 8, 2009
Reno, NV
Scope dope is absolutely right. For those of us that are just starting or looking forward to starting stage two or three it is good news, because I would rather be delayed after getting checked out on my D-sides. Of course when ERAM training comes back that will be a problem for all developmentals. But I would rather wait for an R class than stage three any day.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Non-radar is pass/fail at the facility. Sorry I can see now that it wasn't very clear. Although if you go to area 4 there is no low altitude sectors. Therefore you don't have to do non-radar.
Cool. Thanks.
I am headed to ZOA (someday - LOL) so if I get the Ocean than its all NR....

I assume all of ZOA's areas probably have a low sector so that is good to know. Maybe I am wrong though because when I did a tour they mentioned sending a bunch of work to Norcal a few years ago.

Michael

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
Thanks http://www.stuckmic.com/members/ppxatcs/for the hope ppxatcs. I just finished enroute class at my CTI school and am pondering this facility as my first choice, provided I will only have 10 months to get hired when I graduate in Dec! (age).
Not to shoot you down right when you get your hopes up but I know that myself and 4 others (that I know for sure) hold TOL's for ZDV and are all still awaiting a class date. We've been waiting for 1 year now.

Captain_D

Newcomer
Sep 28, 2009
Gainesville
Not to shoot you down right when you get your hopes up but I know that myself and 4 others (that I know for sure) hold TOL's for ZDV and are all still awaiting a class date. We've been waiting for 1 year now.
Im sure that's true for many other Facilities as well, that just sucks. ZDV is my favorite center but I know I cant be picky because I have one maybe two chances to be considered for a panel. On that note it's going to be real hard to choose two states when I graduate in December. For now I am thinking in this order: AL,TX or CO, UT.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
Any updates from current controllers on check out times for each stage? I'm headed to the academy this month and am curious to see how training is moving along. Thanks!

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
Any updates from current controllers on check out times for each stage? I'm headed to the academy this month and am curious to see how training is moving along. Thanks!
I think it's OK, probably no delay through stage 2 and 3, but they're doing ERAM so the dysim is plugged up and there's still a slug of stage 4's they're working through, after this group though I don't remember any newbies so it's probably wide open after say september.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
I think it's OK, probably no delay through stage 2 and 3, but they're doing ERAM so the dysim is plugged up and there's still a slug of stage 4's they're working through, after this group though I don't remember any newbies so it's probably wide open after say september.
Thanks for the update.

Any idea on the average time frame to make D1?

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
After which group are there no newbies?

There were 5 sent from the OKC class of two weeks ago, two there now, and three starting enroute in the next couple weeks...

jholw311

Trusted Contributor
May 27, 2009
PARKER, COLORADO
I just found out today I will be headed to ZDV as well. I am really excited. Is there anyone out there that is still holding a ZDV TOL without a class date from previous panels? I know that on stuck mic it looks like there are a handful of us who where selected this panel.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
I think I may have been the last one (on SM). I think the others took redirects. There is another guy going to ZDV that will be in class with me starting 4/22. He too had his TOL for 1 1/2 years. It seems the backlog is cleared and there are several en route basics classes scheduled for the summer. Hope you have a quicker process than we did!

jholw311

Trusted Contributor
May 27, 2009
PARKER, COLORADO
Thanks RdRunner,

And if you really do need a hookup feel free to pm me. I am more than willing to help a fellow future ATC'er out. I am at a Suburu dealer here in Denver and I used to be a Finance Director at a Lexus store in Houston. But I have the hookup on just about any car so let me know. Thanks again

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
After which group are there no newbies?

There were 5 sent from the OKC class of two weeks ago, two there now, and three starting enroute in the next couple weeks...
well earlier in the year they were saying something like 14 new hires for the whole year, and they're easily at about 10 soooo... Bring them on, more seniority for me. A lot of the areas seem to be staffed pretty thin.

Last edited: