Denver Center - ZDV

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
I don't know about staffing but training has been severely FUBAR with ERAM implementation. I think they're just now getting going again this week in the DYSIM. Massive backlog of dsides waiting for rside class, I mean like they've been waiting 8 months backlog...

jdatc624

Dec 30, 2010
Center/center/tracon
www.youtube.com
I know for a fact zdv has picked up several err's in the last 12 months. That could also affect hiring.

What would you rather have if you we're a facility?

A new trainee from the academy (assuming success), or someone who has generally proven they can do the job at another facility that will take much less time to train. Plus these people are requesting to go there, so the facility knows it's where their new employee desires to be.

On the plus side it opens spots at other centers. So in the scheme of things, someone is getting hired.

_j

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
I know for a fact zdv has picked up several err's in the last 12 months. That could also affect hiring.
they're snapping up the ERRs because they train faster and need CPC's pretty bad in a couple areas but I doubt anyone has the foresight to do it intentionally.

KevinFoley46

Jul 8, 2010

What would you rather have if you we're a facility?

A new trainee from the academy (assuming success), or someone who has generally proven they can do the job at another facility that will take much less time to train. Plus these people are requesting to go there, so the facility knows it's where their new employee desires to be.

On the plus side it opens spots at other centers. So in the scheme of things, someone is getting hired.

_j
The downside to that, from a purely business standpoint, is that it takes up more time. If ZDV hires an ERR from XYZ, then XYZ hires an ERR from ABC, who hires an ERR from DEF who hires a new trainee, you've netted the same headcount as a direct new hire. As an organization it's the same result, but with several ERRs moving around you've taken an extra year+ to get the same result. It's basically an exercise in managing headcount efficiently versus keeping your CPC's happy. Just another side to the argument.

C

CenterScum

Current ZDV controllers... Does anybody know what area(s) new hires and transfers are going to. I am coming in on an ERR in June and would like to know what area I might end up working in. Thanks.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
No way to know. The shortest area changes from day to day. Area 1 snapped up a ton of trainees I heard.

C

CenterScum

No way to know. The shortest area changes from day to day. Area 1 snapped up a ton of trainees I heard.
So if you had a choice of any area in the building, which one has the best group of people to work with. I know here at Indy Center there are great areas, ok areas, and areas you run away from. Just wondering about your thoughts. Thanks.

quakthunder

Rookie
Dec 22, 2011
So if you had a choice of any area in the building, which one has the best group of people to work with. I know here at Indy Center there are great areas, ok areas, and areas you run away from. Just wondering about your thoughts. Thanks.
Been there a couple times. I know Area 1 has a ton of non-radar because it's a lot of the mountains.

I sat in Area 4 last time I was there and every sector was high altitude. Seemed pretty chill.

But take my words with a grain of salt (as with everything you read here) cause what do I know?

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:
C

CenterScum

Been there a couple times. I know Area 1 has a ton of non-radar because it's a lot of the mountains.

I sat in Area 4 last time I was there and every sector was high altitude. Seemed pretty chill.

But take my words with a grain of salt (as with everything you read here) cause what do I know?
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

C

CenterScum

I heard I'd be going to Area 6 in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know anything about that area? Thanks.

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
Is traffic at ZDV picking up, or slowing down? Busy 10? Slow 10? Chance of an upgrade or downgrade any time soon?

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
Is traffic at ZDV picking up, or slowing down? Busy 10? Slow 10? Chance of an upgrade or downgrade any time soon?
well there are no centers below a 10 so a downgrade is unlikely and an upgrade is nigh impossible. I would say traffic has been stable at depressed levels as long as I've been paying attention to it.

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
How is training at ZDV nowadays? Has it sped back up at all?

Is staffing good? Expecting an ERR's or bids any time soon?

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
How is training at ZDV nowadays? Has it sped back up at all?

Is staffing good? Expecting an ERR's or bids any time soon?
there aren't a lot of trainees so it's moving right along. Staffing sucks but I believe the rumor is that we're better off than a lot of facilities and I've heard getting very few trainees for 2015 (none in my area)

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
If any current CPC at ZDV would like a swap to bright and sunny Florida, specifically ZJX, message me. Great place to work but we are looking to move to Longmont this summer (ERR request was put in 6 months ago, and the rumor was that the list is 2+ pages long)..
good luck. Bid a FLM job, that's your best bet TBH.

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
there aren't a lot of trainees so it's moving right along. Staffing sucks but I believe the rumor is that we're better off than a lot of facilities and I've heard getting very few trainees for 2015 (none in my area)

Are you doing 6 day work weeks, or a lot of OT?

Atc_zhuzdv

Newcomer
Aug 3, 2015
Just got picked up on an ERR. I plan on living in Longmont and am looking for other ZDV controller opinions on where you think the best part of Longmont is to live. We are looking in the 350k or below price range and good schools are important (although they are probably all better than the ones here in Texas!).
My initial opinion is the west/northwest side of the city is the best. So what say you Denver people?