Denver Center - ZDV

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
Just got picked up on an ERR. I plan on living in Longmont and am looking for other ZDV controller opinions on where you think the best part of Longmont is to live. We are looking in the 350k or below price range and good schools are important (although they are probably all better than the ones here in Texas!).
My initial opinion is the west/northwest side of the city is the best. So what say you Denver people?

Which facility in TX are you leaving?

hokielaurie

Rookie
Sep 16, 2013
Just got a pTOL with a projected Enroute OKC training of July 2016. Anyone know if ZDV is short staffed / looking to bring in trainees in the Sept timeframe?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Just got a pTOL with a projected Enroute OKC training of July 2016. Anyone know if ZDV is short staffed / looking to bring in trainees in the Sept timeframe?
I have always heard that ZDV was not short staffed and it seemed to go that general way, but I recently met a friend who works at ADV and she said that their sector alone had four people retire on one day. Seems like ZDV probably is understaffed, unfortunately not as much as some of the other centers are.

jilkm77

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2016
Hello everyone,
I currently live and work in Longmont, CO and I want to apply to be an air traffic controller later this year when they start hiring. The thing is my whole life is here, my siblings and nieces and nephews, my dad, my fiance and dog...so i'm not interested in moving. I know its a long shot to get lucky enough to end up back here. I know I can study my butt off and get close to first choice of centers but even with that should I even try? I've been told that even though Longmont needs people they aren't a high priority center so even if I get first choice that might not help me. I've been really excited about applying for the last year or so (I just missed applying last year) but after reading through the forums I'm wondering if I should apply...Any thoughts or words of advice?
Thanks in advance!

N603NH

Apr 11, 2015
Earth
From what I've heard from the training manager ZDV isn't slatted to get any new hires from the Academy for over a year. That could always change, but my understanding is that ZDV is only accepting ERRs.

alpharomeo9911

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Hello everyone,
I currently live and work in Longmont, CO and I want to apply to be an air traffic controller later this year when they start hiring. The thing is my whole life is here, my siblings and nieces and nephews, my dad, my fiance and dog...so i'm not interested in moving. I know its a long shot to get lucky enough to end up back here. I know I can study my butt off and get close to first choice of centers but even with that should I even try? I've been told that even though Longmont needs people they aren't a high priority center so even if I get first choice that might not help me. I've been really excited about applying for the last year or so (I just missed applying last year) but after reading through the forums I'm wondering if I should apply...Any thoughts or words of advice?
Thanks in advance!
My advice, dont even apply if your not willing to relocate. It would be a waste of your time along with all of the wasted money the goverment puts in to schooling you.

jilkm77

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2016
From what I've heard from the training manager ZDV isn't slatted to get any new hires from the Academy for over a year. That could always change, but my understanding is that ZDV is only accepting ERRs.
Do you know anything about the Denver airport terminal...That wouldn't be too much of a drive for me. My sister is a flight attendant and commutes from Loveland. I could handle that.

N603NH

Apr 11, 2015
Earth
Do you know anything about the Denver airport terminal...That wouldn't be too much of a drive for me. My sister is a flight attendant and commutes from Loveland. I could handle that.
I don't know anything about the Tower or Tracon and their hiring but considering both are Level 12 facilities I doubt they're taking anyone without prior experience.

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
What about the terminal? It's big and has a mountainous artistic shape. And Blucifer guards it all with its ever-seeing red eyes.

jilkm77

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2016
What about the terminal? It's big and has a mountainous artistic shape. And Blucifer guards it all with its ever-seeing red eyes.
Those eyes haunt my dreams...I see them at night.

So how many options do I have in Colorado? I guess I don't know all the places an air traffic controller can work. I guess I thought my options were here in Longmont (en route?) or at DIA (terminal?). Anywhere in Colorado going to be looking for new hires?

N603NH

Apr 11, 2015
Earth
If you want to be guaranteed Colorado you could probably volunteer for Aspen. That is assuming you get Terminal. That is assuming you pass the BQ.

jilkm77

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2016
If you want to be guaranteed Colorado you could probably volunteer for Aspen. That is assuming you get Terminal. That is assuming you pass the BQ.
I've already lived up near Aspen..not for me, too secluded up there.

jilkm77

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2016
How far is Aspen from Denver Center? Lol I want to live somewhere secluded
About 4 hours from DIA. Getting to the mountains or out of the mountains can be pretty hard in the winter. And all the towns there are pretty small. Aspen is actually pretty small. Some big fancy stores like Chanel but no Target or Barnes and Noble. All the towns around there are small too, Basalt, Carbondale, Glenwood Springs, 1 maybe 2 grocery stores, no shopping. Everything is more expensive up there; housing, groceries, gas etc. Basically the only things to do are go hiking, biking, skiing, kayaking etc. Hope you are outdoorsy!