Depth Percerption

RD1186

Rookie
Aug 10, 2008
from what i hear u have to take a depth perception test to get hired as an ATC but in all the forums and books ive never seen it in the list, anyone know if they still test for this and if its an auto DQ?

danman9450

Rookie
Jun 24, 2008
They test for it in the military but not the FAA. 2nd class medical requirements. 20/20 corrected and no color blindness. From what I hear 70% of people fail the military depth perception test.

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
Actually, they do still test for this. I don't know about the 70%. I do know that everyone I've ever worked with has passed but 1. In percentages, that equals <1%.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
Filler for small posts. Tell rosstafarii it's stupid you can't post less then ten characters tell him mike sent you.

Last edited:

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
I would imagine you are DQ'ed. If it's a requirement, and you don't make it, why would you pass? Or rather, if you are not DQ'ed if you fail the test, what's the point of the test?

There are waivers for everything, but that one wouldn't make sense. Then again, it is the FAA, and common sense will not be tolerated...

zoolander

Rookie
Jul 9, 2009
I would imagine you are DQ'ed. If it's a requirement, and you don't make it, why would you pass? Or rather, if you are not DQ'ed if you fail the test, what's the point of the test?

There are waivers for everything, but that one wouldn't make sense. Then again, it is the FAA, and common sense will not be tolerated...
From Dr. Orsak's lips (or fingertips rather)

G_Orsak
Aviation Medical Examiner
Pearland, TX
Re: Depth perception
Posted: Yesterday, 03:56 PM
As long as you meet the vision requirements of visual acuity, color perception and Phoria measurement, you should be fine.

As I suspected...If you are looking at a 2D screen all day it doesn't matter if you have less than stellar 3D vision...Now I could see the importance if I was being hired by Hollywood to assess the visual enjoyment of their 3D films but this is not the case!

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
Thank you for the correction. Perhaps I was confusing FAA standards with the Air Force's. Or perhaps I'm just a dumbass... haha

zoolander

Rookie
Jul 9, 2009
Thank you for the correction. Perhaps I was confusing FAA standards with the Air Force's. Or perhaps I'm just a dumbass... haha
No problem!...I doubt you're a dumbass...your line of thinking was pretty logical...I think depth perception is a bigger issue if you are trying to become a pilot.

DJatc

Nov 12, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I just came from MEPs and failed my depth perception test. Not an excuse but the doctor asked me if I could see anything, and didn't give me time to adjust. I looked it up on the internet and found that most people did fail, even if they did get a pass from an eye doctor later on. I don't know if this is true or not but if you can see magic eye then you have depth perception. I have no problem deciphering these images.