Dipsey doodle.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
A few controllers at work have been busting my balls about not knowing a former ATC related term or procedure known as a dipsy doodle. Does anyone know what this was lol? If they are busting my shoes they really succeeded.

MJ0730

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
pointsixtyfive.com
it's that thing where you take a midget and dip him in syrup, then pour cheese doodles all over him.

maybe they mean the definition of moving in a zigzag course, but i'm guessing its the midget one.

quietbird

Newcomer
Jun 15, 2008
I hope I'm not losing my mind here (old age, ya know) but if memory serves me correctly there was in fact something called a "dipsey doodle". It was in the .65 and I think it involved either SR-71 or U-2 aircraft. Keep in mind this was way back when, probably somewhere around the mid-80s. I don't have a .65 now and it's too late tonight to look and see if it is still in there.

Phlames

Newcomer
Aug 14, 2009
All ya need to do is a little research on the net. This is what I found "After take off and the top up the Blackbird will perform a manoeuvre called the Dipsy Doodle, here it passes mach 1 by a climb to 33,000ft followed by a sharp dive to allow the aircraft to traverse high drag transonic range without using a lot of fuel. The aircraft will then climb to at least 60,000 ft."

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
I hope I'm not losing my mind here (old age, ya know) but if memory serves me correctly there was in fact something called a "dipsey doodle". It was in the .65 and I think it involved either SR-71 or U-2 aircraft. Keep in mind this was way back when, probably somewhere around the mid-80s. I don't have a .65 now and it's too late tonight to look and see if it is still in there.

the SR-71 was the exactly aircraft he spoke about when I brough up the dipsey doodle.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
All ya need to do is a little research on the net. This is what I found "After take off and the top up the Blackbird will perform a manoeuvre called the Dipsy Doodle, here it passes mach 1 by a climb to 33,000ft followed by a sharp dive to allow the aircraft to traverse high drag transonic range without using a lot of fuel. The aircraft will then climb to at least 60,000 ft."
brian shul talks about it in his book "sled driver" a very cool read if you like sr71's.
that's where I had heard about it. never at work but I'm not that old.