DoD AF SSR

VM_AIRBOSS

Dec 28, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Prior to coming overseas to work DOD for the Marine Corps, where by the way we get the 30% SSR plus the 5% ATC premium, I was working DOD for the USAF, and got the 25% SSR (Tower Only) plus the 5% ATC premium in lieu of Locality Pay. To the best of my knowledge all DOD controller are entitled to SSR. You can go to MyPay and look for the SSR tables 0566 or 0565 under civilian pay scales.

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
I think the USAF is the only branch that is paying it universally. I don't think the Marines pay it at all the CONUS bases. When SSR came about the Navy said words to the effect "SSR is a retention tool. In the DON we don't have a retention problem in the 2152 series."

Bear-Claw

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2015
USAF, USMC, and army all pay navy only pays at two locations. Marines dropped from under the navy because of it. I work w an array of civllians that have worked for all four

Wrooster

Jun 22, 2008
SSR in the AF works like this, you get 25% for tower. You need to find out what the locality pay for your base is and subtract that from the 25%. So if your locality pay for where you work 10% you will receive an additional 15% SSR. Now there is no place showing this on your earning statement. So you have to do the math yourself. This means if the locality pay for your location is 28% then you will not receive any additional pay.