DoD Openings

*Mayday*

Rookie
Jun 6, 2015
I'm sure there will be a mass of openings at many DOD facilities. Until they start waving the age requirement, DOD will probably be a revolving door for people getting out of the military and then ultimately entering the FAA.

jpapadub

Rookie
Mar 11, 2010
I know I have to be off the books before they can advertise. There will be quite a few openings before January.

gr8whitehntr

Rookie
Oct 13, 2011
usajobs.gov every day. i agree that there should be quite a few in the next few months if they hire people to replace all of us. there are two of us at my facility who have applied and are still in the running. if they offer me the right place my spot will be open.

LightGun

Newcomer
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks for the info Mayday. Yeah I've been on usajobs everyday for the last 6 months. 3 interviews, 1 offer that I couldn't take due to some timing issues. Just wondering what may be advertised in the coming months as more DoD controllers receive FOLs.

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
The dod has always been a feeder for the faa. That's where ssr came from. I'm about to share the secret to getting a DOD job. I've had 2, one of them for 12 yrs. It goes like this.

1. get referred. Sounds simple? It's not always. Resumes are scanned for key words. Each branch of service uses different acronyms for the same or similar sh!t. Taylor your resume for each announcement even plagiarize the damned announcement to get through the bean counters and get it to the guy doing the selecting.
2. Know somebody. - fair or not the hiring is still done by sups and atms. You don't know anybody? See #3.
3. Get to know somebody. Put a face with your resume. Get in your car or book a flight and schedule a tour. Go see the boss.
4. The boss wants people who won't bail for the faa. Tell them you want to be there. You grew up near by. You love stankville usa Army town more than anywhere else on earth.

You could also send videos of yourself sucking a golf ball through a garden hose.

gr8whitehntr

Rookie
Oct 13, 2011
we should have a like button, you hit the nail on the head meanjoe "2. Know somebody. - fair or not the hiring is still done by sups and atms."
i'm a DOD and i have been trying to get out of alaska for about 2 years now ive applied for nearly every opening the army has had since then been refered for most and never been interviewed and no one has ever called my manager.

gr8whitehntr

Rookie
Oct 13, 2011
been here 15 years... i have outside animals that need care even when it is -50f... my wife hates it here she has been here 20 years... getting older... winter is too long and summer too short... cost of living is stupid even making pretty good money as a DOD... the list goes on