DoD Openings

Mike_Golf

Rookie
Mar 7, 2012
The dod has always been a feeder for the faa. That's where ssr came from. I'm about to share the secret to getting a DOD job. I've had 2, one of them for 12 yrs. It goes like this.

1. get referred. Sounds simple? It's not always. Resumes are scanned for key words. Each branch of service uses different acronyms for the same or similar sh!t. Taylor your resume for each announcement even plagiarize the damned announcement to get through the bean counters and get it to the guy doing the selecting.
2. Know somebody. - fair or not the hiring is still done by sups and atms. You don't know anybody? See #3.
3. Get to know somebody. Put a face with your resume. Get in your car or book a flight and schedule a tour. Go see the boss.
4. The boss wants people who won't bail for the faa. Tell them you want to be there. You grew up near by. You love stankville usa Army town more than anywhere else on earth.

You could also send videos of yourself sucking a golf ball through a garden hose.
That's how I got hired... golf ball/hose video.

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
Fort Huachuca should be opening up two up/down slots in the next six months or so. There will be a few more to follow that given we are losing at least four people to the FAA. Don't hold me to the timeline but we are way undermanned in the tower so it should be soon.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Fort Huachuca should be opening up two up/down slots in the next six months or so. There will be a few more to follow that given we are losing at least four people to the FAA. Don't hold me to the timeline but we are way undermanned in the tower so it should be soon.
Greg still the ATM?

mturnbeaugh

Jun 19, 2015
Anaheim, CA
SSgt young....as in Pensacola SSgt young who didnt like lighthouse runs in the morning? Or the one who yelled at me countless times in J Barracks?

-turbo

mturnbeaugh

Jun 19, 2015
Anaheim, CA
oh good lord...Im doing good actually. I work for Boeing, about to finish my BS in Aviation Management. Eventually i'll have my phD in Astro Physics, but thats a few years off. Still waiting to figure out if im getting picked up for this next bid. How are things over at FHU?

ChuckATC

Rookie
Oct 11, 2012
USA
Westover ARB, MA is hiring for a few controller positions and soon a new Training Manager. Anyone looking for DoD who is completely qualified in GPD/TERPS?

Tiffanydawn27

Newcomer
Jul 6, 2015
I have left the military 5 years ago, would like to get back into ATC ....Any idea when the age requirement will be lifted

SSgt Young

Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
oh good lord...Im doing good actually. I work for Boeing, about to finish my BS in Aviation Management. Eventually i'll have my phD in Astro Physics, but thats a few years off. Still waiting to figure out if im getting picked up for this next bid. How are things over at FHU?
FHU is awesome. Its the best kept secret in the dod. I didn't realize you were that smart. Congrats and kudos to you on the education goals.

mturnbeaugh

Jun 19, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Thanks! I'll have to see if i can get over there once i get a major qual. I wasnt smart until i got through ATC school and learned how to study and data dump things that were less important. Anyone can do it, and there really isnt a specified time on long it can take someone to get it.
FHU is awesome. Its the best kept secret in the dod. I didn't realize you were that smart. Congrats and kudos to you on the education goals.

SSgt Young

Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
I have left the military 5 years ago, would like to get back into ATC ....Any idea when the age requirement will be lifted
Depending on how old you are, you can apply for contracting positions and get the required 52 weeks of atc in the bag before you apply for DoD and the FAA. The DoD age limit is 36. Contractors are always looking for people that have worked atc before and it doesn't have to be recent.

Mike_Golf

Rookie
Mar 7, 2012
SSgt Young ain't never lie. Well, he DOES quite frequently but in this case, he's on point: FHU IS one of the best kept secrets in the DoD!!