DoD Openings

Rakkis75

Newcomer
Oct 16, 2015
So I've been applying for months, get "Referred" ALMOST every time, and thats it. No calls, no interviews. I was wondering if anyone was available on here that I could send all my stuff to review any tips or pointers you could provide for any tweaks would be greatly appreciated

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
There is always a lot of competition for jobs, even at the least desirable facilities. It can take a year or more of applying to every job before you get a call. That's just the way it is. Since moves aren't funded for GS-12 and below stateside, I can understand a reluctance to apply for every job, but it's a way to get your foot in the door. It's a good idea to get your resume looked over by an objective and knowledgeable source that isn't going to copy it or be competing for jobs with you. Visit as many places as you can to gain name/face recognition. Keep in touch or get back in touch with as many former colleagues as you can. Sometimes all it takes is a guy dropping your name to get you in and you may have barely known them from active duty. If you have solid ratings and a decent to neutral reputation, it will happen for you eventually. Many have been hired with less.

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
I can tell you that most places already have people in mind when they put out a job announcement. However, if you see a place that is constantly advertising, then its a good chance they are hurting for people and will consider any and all applications. What brew said is absolutely true to a point. It helps to have someone at the facility that can drop your name. I've done it several times for people that hit me up on here. I don't usually know them but I know the types of facilities they have been too and I'm willing to put in my two cents for what it's worth. It's not always a good idea to call or drop by a facility to get your face known. My boss is extremely busy with a ton of shit right now and the last thing he needs is to give a tour or chit chat. Some facility managers will just hang up on you. The best you can hope to do is network with people you know and try to meet some you don't.

dfastest4444

Newcomer
May 21, 2016
Pennsylvania
This is by far one of the best posts I've read on here. Very informative. But you left out how long the garden hose has to be. I have a 50 footer. Will that suffice?

The dod has always been a feeder for the faa. That's where ssr came from. I'm about to share the secret to getting a DOD job. I've had 2, one of them for 12 yrs. It goes like this.

1. get referred. Sounds simple? It's not always. Resumes are scanned for key words. Each branch of service uses different acronyms for the same or similar sh!t. Taylor your resume for each announcement even plagiarize the damned announcement to get through the bean counters and get it to the guy doing the selecting.
2. Know somebody. - fair or not the hiring is still done by sups and atms. You don't know anybody? See #3.
3. Get to know somebody. Put a face with your resume. Get in your car or book a flight and schedule a tour. Go see the boss.
4. The boss wants people who won't bail for the faa. Tell them you want to be there. You grew up near by. You love stankville usa Army town more than anywhere else on earth.

You could also send videos of yourself sucking a golf ball through a garden hose.

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
This is by far one of the best posts I've read on here. Very informative. But you left out how long the garden hose has to be. I have a 50 footer. Will that suffice?
It has a lot to do with the amount of effort you're willing to put in and if you don't break eye contact with the camera that's a bonus.

Shadowdobe

Newcomer
Dec 16, 2016
VIRGINIA
NAS Patuxent River MD may start hiring soon. NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, VA is currently in the process of trying to advertise a position on USA Jobs. I'll post again when the posting is released.

Shadowdobe

Newcomer
Dec 16, 2016
VIRGINIA
Comment was made earlier about a resume making it through but not getting any calls. I'll tell you this. When I review a resume, I want to see experience and qualifications. I don't care about fluff! Qualifications that you've held, where were qualified, the type of traffic that you work. Also know about the facility that you are applying to. If I ask you in a phone interview what you know about my facility and you know absolutely nothing, well that doesn't set to well. I want you to know what you are getting in to.
The Navy is approving age waivers right now. However, it is a very slow process. Once selected you can expect about three months before a final offer letter is presented. Not all Navy Facilities get SSR either. We will be advertising soon!

vm2152

Sep 10, 2008
Comment was made earlier about a resume making it through but not getting any calls. I'll tell you this. When I review a resume, I want to see experience and qualifications. I don't care about fluff! Qualifications that you've held, where were qualified, the type of traffic that you work. Also know about the facility that you are applying to. If I ask you in a phone interview what you know about my facility and you know absolutely nothing, well that doesn't set to well. I want you to know what you are getting in to.
The Navy is approving age waivers right now. However, it is a very slow process. Once selected you can expect about three months before a final offer letter is presented. Not all Navy Facilities get SSR either. We will be advertising soon!
Agreed! I remember when I was helping review resumes for the first time. It changed the entire way I did my own. So much stupid fluff. I have now what I call a technical resume... 'exactly what you speak off: type facility, qualifications held.

I remember my first interview getting out of the USMC. I did so much research on the facility applying too, I had flips, manuals, you name it, I even read news stories about the place. Then the interview came... stupid HR and PC type questions. Not a single one on ATC. I ended up getting the position and have since moved on (twice).

Uin2it

Rookie
Mar 20, 2009
MSgt USAF, DualQual
Is it true that Army is no longer offering an Age Waiver? At what point do those over the age of 35 get taken off the list......in other words being over 35 will my package even make it to the hiring manager at the facility?

MDWST07

Rookie
Jul 17, 2013
What's your take on applying to a 'New Hire' for DoD just to get in the door? Would this have potential for gs-12-interagency move from the FAA?
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483307100
Good question. I need someone to give me the scoop. I was a military controller for a while, been in the FAA about 5 years now but my hometown DoD job was just opened. I need to know how the process works going from the FAA to DoD, and how it works out pay wise. I've read almost every post about it, but I want to know someone who's actually done it.