Does anyone know when the next AT-SAT is?

grosini

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2013
Hi Everyone,
I am interested in becoming an Air Traffic Controller, and am not a graduate of a CTI- School but have a Masters Degree in another field. Does anyone know when the next AT-SAT is for the general public? I live on Long Island
Thanks!

brandgh

Rookie
Nov 11, 2011
Don't get too down though. I've talked with a couple ATMs and they believe there will be an off the street hiring sometime in the near future but there will probably be several thousand applications when it does happen.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Don't get too down though. I've talked with a couple ATMs and they believe there will be an off the street hiring sometime in the near future but there will probably be several thousand applications when it does happen.
I can confirm this from another ATM as well - something about them not getting the diversity they need

dlk2

Newcomer
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, not to be blunt but if you're caucasian/male you will have little chance of getting hired if they do start off-the-street public hiring back up again--no matter how you perform on the test. It helps a tiny amount to be female in this industry, and double helps to be an ethnic/racial minority. If you don't fall under any of these "diversity" categories, regardless of how well you do on the AT-SAT they will likely give preference to CTI graduates to fulfill the remainder of their selection pool once their "diversity" requirements have been filled. So yeah if you're not a minority, I'd start looking into CTI schools.

Also, as someone else from Long Island, I can vouch that it's not too bad to go back to school for CTI. I was in the same boat, already had a degree unrelated to aviation/ATC and went back to school just for CTI. I know it seems ridiculous since you already have a Masters degree, but I did it and its not too bad. Vaughn College of Aeronautics in Queens offers a "fast-track" option/version of the CTI program for students who already have degrees from other schools, so it would only take you 2-3 semesters (30 credits) to complete CTI. (As opposed to students coming straight out of high school, who have to do CTI within a full associates/bachelors degree length time.)

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
<----- I am mixed race which makes me 50% minority. The diversity thing is B.S. I know myself and at least 3 other minorities personally(one being Native American) who still haven't been picked up. So if the FAA wants diversity, they should open their eyes. Their system is so Fuc*** up, EVERY sector of the government. Everyone should be picked up with no preference, regardless of race or sex but if the government claims they dont work that way, i should of already been working for the FAA. Im just saying...

Last edited:

dlk2

Newcomer
Jul 5, 2012
<----- I am mixed race which makes me 50% minority. The diversity thing is B.S. I know myself and at least 3 other minorities personally(one being Native American) who still haven't been picked up. So if the FAA wants diversity, they should open their eyes. Their system is so Fuc*** up, EVERY sector of the government. Everyone should be picked up with no preference, regardless of race or sex but if the government claims they dont work that way, i should of already been working for the FAA. Im just saying...
I agree, but affirmative action/EOE exists unfortunately and the government sure as hell isn't denying it. How long have you been waiting to get picked up, and did you get WQ? I personally know a bunch of white guys who got WQ and have been waiting forever to get picked up, while a minority friend of mine who only got Q got picked up recently. Sure he he had to wait over a year (maybe closer to 2 years at this point), but still, he got picked up with a Q score. So for you it's probably just a matter of waiting. Just because you're a minority doesn't mean they're gonna hand you a TOL right away/first panel. I think it will still help you get picked up quicker, though.

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
I agree, but affirmative action/EOE exists unfortunately and the government sure as hell isn't denying it. How long have you been waiting to get picked up, and did you get WQ? I personally know a bunch of white guys who got WQ and have been waiting forever to get picked up, while a minority friend of mine who only got Q got picked up recently. Sure he he had to wait over a year (maybe closer to 2 years at this point), but still, he got picked up with a Q score. So for you it's probably just a matter of waiting. Just because you're a minority doesn't mean they're gonna hand you a TOL right away/first panel. I think it will still help you get picked up quicker, though.
HA! like 3 and a half years give or take, even retook the Atsat and got WQ twice along with the other people waiting just as long. No help what so ever dude. The FAA doesn't even know how they select people, its random and since they are supposedly phasing out networking, maybe it will change now but up until now facilities could basically choose anyone they want through networking regardless of race or sex. I have nothing but time because im young and finishing up my last semester of my bachelors, so i dont really care, but its just silly to me. I know ill eventually get the job i want(hopefully), but im sure as hell not waiting around for it anymore :motor4: