Does the date I reported to my facility matter?

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
First, just a thanks for anyone who can straighten this out for me because I've gotten conflicting answers. I'm controller B in this scenario.

Controllers A and B start at the FAA academy on the same date, both with no prior military or govt service, and they are headed to the same facility. While at the academy, some things get mixed up and controller A finishes the academy one day prior to controller B. Rather than immediately report to the facility, controller A elects to take annual leave and report almost a week after academy graduation. Controller B goes directly to the facility, and is 'at work' prior to controller A.

The facrep declares that controller A is higher in seniority because they graduated OKC prior to controller B.

In doing research, i've read that in the event of same service time (in this case, A and B have the same FAA start date) the actual date of reporting matters because this was the first chance to be represented by NATCA, at least according to NLRB guidelines.

In solidarity,
TQ

Rich

Aug 9, 2008
MA
www.air-traffic-control.com
Join NATCA and let them take care of it for you. I myself don't know the actual answer but common sense would tell me that whoever was "working" at the facility first would have seniority.

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
Just a thought..You both should have been assigned to your facility for pay purposes on the same day...you both belong to the academy until the pay period rolls over to the following Sunday. I'm going to look into this.

Also, the best place to ask this question would be the NATCA BBS... Some very informed facreps there.

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
I'm a NATCA member, and I'm asking because I've gotten different answers from people within NATCA.

This question was also posted on the bbs, just trying to find a concrete answer anyway I can.

Marjorillan

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Tulsa,OK
Controller B, you, has higher seniority because you reported to your facility first. This is what was explained to me at my facility by my fac rep. My situation is a little different. I graduated the academy a week earlier than the other guy but the other guy actually asked if we could report on the same day. I told him no!!

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
The day you "arrive" at the facility is irrelevant. Your report date is based on your graduation date, that's the date you would go off. If on paper his start date is ahead of yours then he has more seniority than you in the event of a tie. The fact that he took annual is irrelevant. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear

I was a FACREP for 2 years

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
I graduated the academy a week earlier than the other guy but the other guy actually asked if we could report on the same day. I told him no!!
One developmental asking another developmental if he can report on the same day? ...HILARIOUS

The other developmental thinking he can actually say "NO"... HILARIOUS-ER

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
This question was also posted on the bbs, just trying to find a concrete answer anyway I can.
The BBS is garbage when it comes to legitimate info (just like asking new hires questions in this forum)

Have your FACREP contact Mike Robicheau. He is the authority on seniority issues

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
Just because controller A was on annual leave does not change the fact that he is officially on at the facility. He just happen to take leave on his "report date," but still is officially on the books for the facility and officially represented by the local.

Marjorillan

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Tulsa,OK
One developmental asking another developmental if he can report on the same day? ...HILARIOUS

The other developmental thinking he can actually say "NO"... HILARIOUS-ER

Reporting at my facility was at my discretion. I was told if I wanted to wait a week until the other guy showed up I could but if I wanted to show up the following Monday then that was allowed as well.

CSATC

Oct 12, 2009
Oh and if you log into the NATCA portal it has your official date. They track everyone from the academy to the facility and can tell once your facility starts time and attendance records on you as apposed to the academy keeping t&a on you.

FM_Weasel

Senior Analyst
Dec 9, 2008
Your SF-50 on eOPF should show the date used for your facility seniority. If the other controller's date is a day earlier than yours, then their seniority is higher.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
controller A has 1 more day of seniority than controller B.

controller A's BUM date would be the day he graduated, regardless of if they went straight to work or took leave.
controller B's BUM date would be the day he graduated (a day later), regardless of if they went straight to work and got to the facility before controller A.

that's how it works.

p.s. i don't think your SF50 shows BUM date, just SCD. i could be wrong.

menglish1

Newcomer
Jun 21, 2008
Most of these post are somewhat accurate your seniority is determined by your "Cumulative BUM time" determined by the NATCA national constitution see below:

Article XV
Seniority
Section 1. The following shall be used to determine seniority for the
National Air Traffic Controllers Association:
a) Cumulative NATCA Bargaining Unit Time;
b) First Tie Breaker: NATCA Bargaining Unit Time;
c) Second Tie Breaker: EOD/FAA;
d) Third Tie Breaker: SCD;
e) Fourth Tie Breaker: Lottery. The lottery shall be determined
at the local level.

For the purpose of facility release policies, seniority will be
determined by facility time only as a bargaining unit member at that
present facility.
NATCA Bargaining Unit Time is defined as the total time in a given
bargaining unit represented by NATCA and as defined by the FLRA
petition for representation of that unit. Cumulative NATCA Bargaining
Unit Time is derived by totaling all time together spent in each of the
NATCA bargaining units.
Section 2. Re-employed annuitant NATCA bargaining unit employees
shall have their initial seniority date adjusted to reflect the date they
rehire into any FAA NATCA bargaining unit.
Section 3. Any bargaining unit member who accepted a
supervisor/management job after June 6, 2006 and returns to the
bargaining unit will have his/her cumulative seniority date set to the day
they return.

So the question is when do I become a Bargaining Unit Member (BUM)... Please don't confuse this with NATCA member you do not have to join NATCA to officially be a BUM.

You are eligible to become a part of the BU when you convert to an executive appointment from a temporary employee this happens when you pass the academy and are assigned to your permanent station. There is an SF50 generated in your EOPF when this happens and this is the controlling document. This usually happens the day after you leave the academy/are assigned to your facility. However it doesn't have to in rare cases holidays general slow government processing can happen and it might be a couple days after. Your official first day of BUM time is the date your SF50 says. You may take change of station leave etc and this should not have an impact on your seniority date. The tie breakers are listed above in the constitution. This is how it is for new employees for older employees they were eligible for the BU at the academy and its a different EOPF document, but anyone in the last five years or so this is how its done. I was FWA facrep for the last couple of years and we did an entire seniority audit I'm 100% sure this is accurate and came from our RVP.

Mike English