Dubai jobs?

Justbkoz

Newcomer
Aug 4, 2008
I've heard of a British company call Global Aviation, that provides ATC services in Dubai. Wondering if anybody knew any contact information for them, or maybe a website.

Thanks

shaight

Jun 22, 2008
Glencoe CA
Several of my controller friends have looked into this. They want you to have 52 weeks in as a civilian controller before you apply. If you want more infor I can get it for you let me know.

Justbkoz

Newcomer
Aug 4, 2008
Yeah, any info would be great. I've got 6 years in the Air Froce, then I did a year in Afghanistan working for Midwest, and now i've been with the FAA for about 6 months. I'm not certain if its exactly what i would want to do, but I was thinking about it.

Thanks

shaight

Jun 22, 2008
Glencoe CA
"The GCAA in the UAE requires a minimum of three years civilian experience before they will issue an ATC Training Permit. They do not recognize military experience towards compliance with the requirement. In this regard I would not be in a position to forward your details to our Customer for consideration.
The best way forward is to send us an up-to-date resume (CV) and we can review your details in order to determine your suitability for Dubai. Once we have this information we will be able to respond to you appropriately.

Please include your age, marital status and any dependents you would be bringing overseas as well as the notice period you are required to give to your p[resent employer.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Rick Sharpe

Manager Air Traffic Operations

Serco Middle East

Rick.Sharpe@SERCO.AE "

Hope this helps!

prascho

Newcomer
Feb 24, 2009
Bulgaria
I'm an En-Route ATC from Bulgaria and I'm 1 of 7Th ATC's able to operate on all sectors (There are 10 sectors in Bulgaria) and I'm looking for a job as ATC in UAE. I have been an En-Route ATC since 1997 and I'm a safety officer also.

Boss_Of_Tower

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2009
Hi boys
It is not easy to understand; Such great Forum but there are no any new treads.
Does it mean that We have no ATCOs who need info or there are no ATCs who are willing to shere theirs knowledge. Come on boys don't let the grass to grow under yours feet.
For me I desperatly need help.
-Does anyone have any information about ATNSPs, working conditions, housing
allowance, incurance etc at Ras Al-Khaima, Sharja, Fujairah, Al-Ain?
-Do they accept ATCOs who are not from USA, EU, NZ, Australia or South Africa?
Any answers would be deeply eppreciated.

Best Regards Michael

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
A good web site to find overseas controller jobs is Flight Global dot com. As for the UAE my understanding is that SERCO has the majority of the contracts to staff the air traffic facilities. I've been trying to get hired by them for almost a year, and I have over 24 years Tower and Radar Approach Control experience.

ATCSME

Newcomer
Aug 25, 2009
Here's some information that will clear the air about ATC in the Middle East - namely UAE and Bahrain.
  • The Regulator requires a minimum of 3 years experience at a recognised CIVILIAN facility. Military experience is NOT recognised.
  • The Customer requires upwards of 5 years civilian expereince depending on the facility you come from. (Eg. they might accept 3 years from Heathrow but not from a local airport in upstate New York). They are looking for primarily "big jet" experience
  • Serco only screens the applications and it is the Customer (eg Dubai Airports Company or GCAA) who makes the final decision of who gets accepted for employment. This acceptance is USUALLY based on Serco's recommendation but can sometimes be rejected on reasons which are not clearly stated. Their decision is final
  • As a clarification Global Aviation is a military sponsored company who recruit civilian ATCs for military airfields. They have done this to enhance the military controller's standards of operations. Serco is the only company with civilain contracts.
  • Recruitment is slowing down because people are staying longer therefore the turnover is less. Reason is the packages being paid are more attractive for most.
  • Aside from regular turnover the next recruitment will be a dozen or so when the second airport opens at Dubai.
  • Oman is looking for (and in dire need of) ACC guys but their package is not very attractive and their sector loadings are scary.
  • Rumour has it there may be some opportunity through Serco in Kuwait but they would be looking for ATCs who have 10-15+ years experience with Supervisory skills in order to affect knowkledge transfer to Kuwaiti controllers.
  • Packages in ME (by local Labor Law) include salary, housing allowance, medical, schooling allowance for two children, annual ticketing back to point of hire, transport allowance to and from work, furniture allowance, utilities allowance and Serco offers Loss of License insurance. Some packages are all-inclusive while others are packegaed separately. Depends on the location. Bahrain is the only place where you get a choice.
  • Contracts are all open ended with 3 months notice on either side.
  • The work is challenging and at the moment because of the slowdown in the number of staff required as well as the previously stated fact that people are staying longer, there are waiting lists for most facilities. (eg. 40+ at the ACC in Abu Dhabi)
  • The Customers prefer ATCs from the UK and Europe, Canada, the US, Australia, NZ, South Africa and Iceland. Not to say others are disregarded but if they have a choice they will take from the aforementioned countries as these have historically have had the highest success rates.
Hope this helps clear the air for some of you guys.

donzoh1

Newcomer
Jul 23, 2009
I have been trying to find info on Dubai ATC jobs and in particular ATC salary level. In general, how do living expenses compare to those in the US. I have tried to communicate with Serco on this but have gotten no answers. Is two years the standard contract length? How often can a person return to the US during this time frame? Any feedback is appreciated. In fact, a current contract would be nice, removing any personal or private information.

donzoh1@aol.com

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Its usually a 3 year contract... you get 20K up front. If you leave prior to the 3 years then you repay a prorated portion of that bonus.

salary is roughly 150-160K with a housing allowance, free healthcare and free schooling for up to 2 kids.

Gas is about 1.10/gallon steady, a furnished apartment will run about 25k/year which you will need to pay for in advance in most cases. cars costs are close to US prices. Leave when you want like any other job, as long as there is enough staffing. You accumulate vacation/sick and they will pay for 1 round trip ticket every year to fly you back to the US.

Dubai's airport is delayed and not up and running yet. Many controllers already have all the jobs for that airport and are just waiting for it to open. You will be hard pressed to get a slot there and im sure the waiting list is long.

BrendanGinn

Newcomer
Aug 24, 2009
Dubai
I was just about to update the info on this thread but I see it has already been successfully done. the only thing I would like to add is the Minimum licensing requirements for applicants, in accordance with the local Civil Aviation Requirements (CARs) are; any applicant must be not less than 19 years old and have acted as a certified civil air traffic controller performing full time operational duties for a minimum period of 3 years, in the applicable rating, at a civil air traffic facility under the jurisdiction of an authority, whose ATC licensing system has been deemed by the Authority as meeting the requirements laid down in these regulations, and be not more than 55 years of age;

Military licences are not recognised under the provisions of the Civil Aviation Regulations.

The list of countries that have a licensing system deemed to meet the requirements of the CARs is not published, however most nationalities with mature ATC systems are represented here.

For more information on the airports that we supply ATC Services to can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates (all of the airports marked in blue except Fujairah).

We also provide Area Control Services in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.
As already stated, the customer has final approval on anyone we choose and we obviously try to hire the best qualified people that are available. We have waiting lists of applicants for most of our units but we are always interested in new applications as new opportunities may well open up in the near future.
I have now taken over the role of Manager Air Traffic Operations from Rick and if anyone wants to apply they should drop me a line at brendan.ginn@serco.ae. A CV/resume is not vital at this point as I'll send you a standard application form that will cover all your qualifications/experience etc.
Because of the number of applications we receive I can't normally engage in a huge amount of correspondence with everyone especially when the information is freely available on the internet and forums such as this but I am happy to answer any questions where I can. I hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you.

kingjoeny

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2009
I have a CTO issued by the FAA, but my experience was gained in the Air Force, does that disqualify me from applying with Serco?

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
I have a CTO and Radar Approach license, with over 24 years FAA experience and have been trying to get a controllers job with Serco in the UAE for almost two years now.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
I have a CTO and Radar Approach license, with over 24 years FAA experience and have been trying to get a controllers job with Serco in the UAE for almost two years now.
Did you try calling the main office and speaking to the guy that looks at the resumes to find out why yours is always looked over? I called before and I have my opinions that they don't look to kindly on Army Controllers, but just my opinion.

Boss_Of_Tower

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2009
"CONGRATULATIONS" Boys
The most famous DAY today
I mean international day of the Air Traffic Controller
Keep up a good job but don't forget to celebrate occasion:drinks: