DUI Options

jdorian79

Newcomer
Jul 10, 2017
So after applying to the August 2016 bid and getting all the way to my CIL I was disqualified for having a history of marijuana within 2 years after getting pulled over for an ovi and possession of a small amount of marijuana in June. My question is, other than waiting 2 years and reapplying for a chance to be selected again, what other possible options I can try in the aviation industry. I am graduating in May with a 4 year degree in Air Traffic Control at a CTI school. I am looking into the Air Force or military ATC as something todo after graduating but I was also curious about looking into international ATC like moving to Canada or Europe and working there if the FAA will not let me back in. If I could get some advice it would be GREATLY appreciated considering I am helpless at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
You probably can't even get ATC in the military with that record. Not a definite, anything is waiverable but it may be a struggle. And to do ATC in Canada or Europe you'll have to become a citizen first.

jdorian79

Newcomer
Jul 10, 2017
Do you know of any other options? ATC is something I've grown up and dreampt to become. It is a goal I will not quit until the day I die so it is something I am very serious about and will do anything I have to to become one or work in the aviation industry.

N603NH

Apr 11, 2015
Earth
Start getting drug tested right now! I'd include alcohol with that as well. 14 times in 12 months at a minimum, randomly. Might want to look at meeting with a HIMS AME as well. HIMS is for pilots, but it should all relate.

PM me.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
The aviation industry covers a lot of different types of work, not all of which is as selective as ATC in the FAA. Pilot, dispatcher, mechanic, ground crew, etc.

My best advice to you, though, is to not drive drunk, and keep your marijuana behind a door that the police need a warrant to get through if you just can't help yourself. This will remain good advice whether you work or don't work in aviation.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Canada doesn't even let DUI offenders enter the country. They are very strict
Yea, a guy I play hockey was a dual citizen USA/Canada and got a DUI here in the states. They wouldn't even let him in with his Canadian passport. He eventually got it worked out but it took a lot of time and money.

Canada won't let anyone in who had any felony arrests on their record

jdorian79

Newcomer
Jul 10, 2017
I was never convicted of ovi it was lowered to a physical control and the marijuana charge was dropped if that helps at all.

MRD328

Rookie
Aug 9, 2016
I got a DUI in 2012, but the case was dropped. Am I going to have trouble with clearances?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
You can both expect to have sit down conversation with background investigators and may have to submit additional documentation for your medical. You should start trying to locate ALL those files from your arrest and court proceedings now.

customcables067

Sep 1, 2010
You can both expect to have sit down conversation with background investigators and may have to submit additional documentation for your medical. You should start trying to locate ALL those files from your arrest and court proceedings now.
Yep. I agree with the above poster too - keep your stuff behind a door they need a warrant for and don't drink/operate equipment intoxicated or under the influence.